Closed TopicStart new topic
Phobos-Grunt
Hungry4info
post Jun 29 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #346

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

@Drkskywxlt

I know what you mean... they haven't had a successful interplanetary mission in a long time.

I'll also be amazed if it makes it to orbit. But I'm sure going to be cheering for them all the way laugh.gif

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 29 2010, 09:01 PM
Post #347

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Conditions are much better now than they were in the time of Mars 96. The amazing thing is that Russia managed to launch Mars 96 at all. People were working without pay, buildings weren't being heated - we could go on. The situation is greatly improved, so even if there are legitimate concerns there's no need to expect a total failure. I'm just writing up the section on Phobos 2 for my new book, and I hope to have a lot more to say about Phobos-Grunt than I had to say about Phobos 2.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jun 29 2010, 09:36 PM
Post #348

And speaking of my book... here's a comparison of maps of Phobos made from five different missions. From top to bottom they are Mariner 9, Viking, Phobos 2, Mars Global Surveyor and Mars Express. The last one cheats a bit, it is largely Mars Express but areas seen better by other missions (mainly on the right, or trailing, side) are filled in with that data. I haven't looked to see if any areas are completely unseen by Mars Express yet.

Phil

Attached Image

The south pole bit on the Mars Global Surveyor map might come as a surprise to some folks. It is seen in Marsshine.

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 9 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #349

Can anybody help me with something...???? I wouldn't normally ask for something like this, but I'm running up against all sorts of problems getting a certain journal article in a readable form.

This is what I really need: Figure 2 of "Phobos sample return mission" (Galeev et al., 1996. Adv. Space Research, v. 17, no. 12, pp. 31-47).

Our library used to have this on paper, but now it's only available online. Fine - I have the file on my screen now. But the figure is illegible, a solid black mess.

So - if anyone has this on paper, or has an online version which is legible - just that figure - can you send me a message or email? I may need nothing more than a brief description of what it shows. In fact it might not show what I want, so the briefest comment might be enough.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 11 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #350

Speaking of Phobos sample return, here's an illustration from my work in progress... sampling sites for the Aladdin mission, for both Phobos and Deimos. Deimos is the bottom map, Phobos the two upper ones. It's interesting to see that Phobos 2 was to land nearby (right end of middle map) and Phobos-Grunt is going to this same area as well - for dynamic and illumination reasons. If you land on the other side of Phobos, facing Mars, you lose illumination during the frequent eclipses as well as at night.

My Atlas of Mars Exploration is now all but finished (4 illustrations to go) in a first draft form. Another year to fix it up.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
konangrit
post Feb 25 2011, 08:53 PM
Post #351

Member No.: 704

Mars probe blastoff in November

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The nation's first Mars probe will be launched from a Russian rocket in November, two years later than originally planned.

Mars explorer Yinghuo-1 marks the country's first attempt at deep space exploration after sending a probe to the moon, the state-run China Daily reported, citing comments from an Academy of Space Technology official.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp...1112054/1/.html

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 21 2011, 05:45 PM
Post #352

Member No.: 1004

***Edited***

apparently my source messed up and shared some news he had no right to share.
sorry for any inconvenience. Admin can you delete this post?

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 23 2011, 12:35 AM
Post #353

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

This EGU 2011 abstract seems to contradict reports I have seen that suggest that MetNet Precursor has been bumped off Phobos-Grunt. I sure hope it is correct.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Mar 23 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #354

Member No.: 12

Yeah, I'm confused by the status of MetNet as well. It's an exciting project but I wish they'd put out some clear statements about their plans for the next few years.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 23 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #355

QUOTE (SFJCody @ Mar 23 2011, 01:37 AM) *
Yeah, I'm confused by the status of MetNet as well. It's an exciting project but I wish they'd put out some clear statements about their plans for the next few years.

I don't think there will be any clear plans until they send the precursor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 23 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #356

"This EGU 2011 abstract seems to contradict reports ....."

I suspect this tells us nothing about the fate of METNET. It's a study of how timing Phobos transits could help locate the landing site. That idea goes back to Viking 1 and was planned for Beagle 2 as well. The statement about Phobos-Grunt is probably just a cut and paste job from older text, not reflecting the current status.

I'd like it to be correct as well... but I don't think it is.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 23 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #357

I dropped an e-mail to a contact of mine within the project, so maybe this can be cleared up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 24 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #358

OK, my source tells me that MetNet will not fly on Phobos-Grunt due to problems still being worked out with the communications system. They are hoping for 2014 now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
konangrit
post Mar 29 2011, 05:36 AM
Post #359

Member No.: 704

Russian engineers have made significant improvements to a space vehicle “Phobos-Grunt”, which should have been sent to Mars in 2009, but the launch was postponed till 2011.

Engineers have improved the shape of a soil sample collecting manipulator. The vehicle was first equipped with a “hand” with a forceps-type holder, and now it has two “hands” with more than one holder type.

Moreover, the vehicle also has a Polish penetrator for making rock fragments, convenient to bring back home to the researchers. Additional tests revealed defects in some equipment of the vehicle, and now all defects eliminated. The “Phobos-Grunt” vehicle will soon be tested in a thermal pressure chamber.

The launch is scheduled for October-November 2011.

http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/11819/

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jun 2 2011, 02:48 PM
Post #360

Member No.: 1004

the Lavochkin website has a short story (in Russian) on Fobos-Grunt making electrical and thermal-vacuum tests that also includes some nice pictures of the spacecraft (or an engineering model) complete with YH-1

+Quote Post

45 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 26 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.