Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cape York - Shoemaker Ridge and the NE traverse, Starting sol 2735
AndyG
post Oct 27 2011, 03:57 PM
Post #256

Group: Members
Member No.: 279

Hi Steve,

My post #250 would produce one number for each pixel - the "angle from rover-normal to the noon midwinter sun" - and this number (the potential insolation) takes into account the slope and the aspect.

What are the limitations on drivability? Not aspect, so much - we know north is best, but that's subsumed in the insolation. The slope, however, is an issue relating to the stability limits of Opportunity. The steepest slopes are best avoided.

So maybe a more visually useful presentation would be to combine potential insolation with slope.

Say a range of white-green-yellow-red for insolation, and simply black out any slopes over X degrees.

Andy
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 27 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #257

Member No.: 542

How about just mapping the northward component of the slope vector? Not as sophisticated as your solution Andy, but maybe easier to do and simpler to understand when done.

Great anaglyph pan mhoward. Eyeball to eyeball with the summit!

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 27 2011, 07:07 PM
Post #258

Member No.: 152

Thanks a lot for those maps, Pete. I agree a simple estimate of the northward component of slope is all we really need. There's got to be enough uncertainty in the DEM that too much effort is pointless. This is basically what the team has done before, like this plot around home plate.

The slopes on CY don't look too bad - apart from very small features, the only areas that might be a problem for driving are the east sides of the big "knobs" on the north part of CY, and those are sloping east, so we'll probably ignore them anyway.

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 27 2011, 08:32 PM
Post #259

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Here's a my3D stereo pair for "New Consort". Only so much can be done with L257R2 (as far as I know), but it actually more or less works for me.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Nix
post Oct 27 2011, 08:45 PM
Post #260

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

I remember registering the color info only from the left channel per Photoshop > copy left image > paste onto right image > left 'top' layer 'layer blend mode' screen > register with select and skew / distort / warp / etc ... > 'layer blend mode' to color smile.gif I'll try uploading something somewhere..

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 27 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #261

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (walfy @ Oct 27 2011, 05:48 AM) *
Unfortunately, this method for 3D viewing without equipment is limited to narrow slices of images in the vertical.
You can use the stereophoto maker software I linked to to view stereo pairs as wide as you like, either crosseyed or parallel, and without shrinking the images. Click "100" to view at 100% scale, then narrow the window until your eyes can fuse the images. Then you can just drag the images to scroll across.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Oct 27 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #262

Chief Assistant

stereo-rightframecolor-stolen-from-leftframe..
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Oct 27 2011, 11:08 PM
Post #263

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

QUOTE (Nix @ Oct 27 2011, 03:18 PM) *
stereo-rightframecolor-stolen-from-leftframe.. (small size)

Nice color matching! So small it's blurry in my3D though.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 27 2011, 11:21 PM
Post #264

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (SteveM @ Oct 27 2011, 08:06 AM) *
Can anyone suggest an easy way to do that?

Use the "replace color" feature in Photoshop. Start with the lowest setting, and then replace the next color with that same color, but turn up the saturation a bit, and continue up through the scale.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Oct 27 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #265

Chief Assistant

QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 28 2011, 01:08 AM) *
Nice color matching! So small it's blurry in my3D though.

fixed:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 28 2011, 12:20 AM
Post #266

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

mhoward's latest pan in circular format...

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Oct 28 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #267

Member No.: 105

Very good, Phil-- I was hoping you would post one of your Polar Pans of this latest Navcam Pan.

Oppy is still moving along just to the west of the ridgetop and should be within sight of "winterhaven" within the next driving Sol or two. That site ought to look much like the areas we've seen to the east (our right) the past few days-- light/reddish-toned with plenty of neat rocks and outcrops.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Oct 28 2011, 04:34 AM
Post #268

Member No.: 2873

Hmm, does this help? I think I've managed to whip Arc into shape enough to do AndyG's suggestion of combining slope and aspect. The perspective view is x3 vertical exaggeration.

Attached Image
Attached Image

I think it's probably showing us what we kind of know already, and probably pushing the helpfulness of the data, but nice nonetheless.

Pete

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 28 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #269

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 27 2011, 02:07 PM) *
... I agree a simple estimate of the northward component of slope is all we really need.
I've really enjoyed this discussion about ways to map the important data for Oppy's next winter haven choice. I wonder about this, though. Is a simple estimate of the northward component of the slope all we need? What if the northward component is just right in a Goldilocks sense, but the eastward or westward slope component exceeds the stability specification for the rover?

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Fran Ontanaya
post Oct 28 2011, 06:07 AM
Post #270

Member No.: 4350

@SteveM: On GIMP, create a gradient with whatever color steps you want, then apply Colors | Gradient Map. On Photoshop it will be Layer | New Adjustment layer | Gradient Map, I think.

For just color coding, it's better to make a color map layer with full colors, then set blend mode to Color and adjust Alpha to get the desired amount of saturation. That way you don't need to fiddle with your base gradient.

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  « < 16 17 18 19 20 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.