post Jul 12 2005, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 65

I'd like to know which of the three following is best:

Eyes on Mars
Wheels on Mars
Mars, dead or alive.

And how i can get (one, two or all three of) them for a reasonable price. From USA they want to bill me another 20 USD for shipping to Holland, which is even more than the retailprice of the DVD itself. Can i buy them in Europe somewhere ?

Any more DVD's about Mars recommended ?

Marcel.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 12 2005, 02:53 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Mars Dead or Alive is fantastic - if you can, get the follow on -called "Year One" or something.

Doug

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Jul 12 2005, 02:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (Marcel @ Jul 12 2005, 03:41 PM)

Eyes on Mars
Wheels on Mars
Mars, dead or alive.

And how i can get (one, two or all three of) them for a reasonable price. From USA they want to bill me another 20 USD for shipping to Holland, which is even more than the retailprice of the DVD itself. Can i buy them in Europe somewhere ?

Marcel.

Marcel:

I don't know those DVDs myself, but would suggest eBay is worth a look. Oh, and if you're interested in the Apollo flights and/or Saturn launch vehicles, HMV have just started selling the Spacecraft Films range - and even advertising them! I bought both Mighty Saturns sets and Apollo 11 for £100 recently. Great stuff, with material you won'y have seen before (like: Saturn 1 development flight footage from within the S-IV oxygen tank showing the oxidiser draining away (I never realised before that LOX looks just like water when it's not boiling and steaming away!)).

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Marcel
post Jul 13 2005, 07:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 65

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jul 12 2005, 02:56 PM)
Marcel:

I don't know those DVDs myself, but would suggest eBay is worth a look. Oh, and if you're interested in the Apollo flights and/or Saturn launch vehicles, HMV have just started selling the Spacecraft Films range - and even advertising them!  I bought both Mighty Saturns sets and Apollo 11 for £100 recently.  Great stuff, with material you won'y have seen before (like: Saturn 1 development flight footage from within the S-IV oxygen tank showing the oxidiser draining away (I never realised before that LOX looks just like water when it's not boiling and steaming away!)).

Bob Shaw

I already bought Apollo 11. But i'll start to save money and buy ALL of them......the 20 USD shipping rate is going to be devided over all copies then......
Thanks for the suggestions.
Marcel.

+Quote Post
MiniTES
post Jul 14 2005, 03:31 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 177

Marcel:

I don't know those DVDs myself, but would suggest eBay is worth a look. Oh, and if you're interested in the Apollo flights and/or Saturn launch vehicles, HMV have just started selling the Spacecraft Films range - and even advertising them!  I bought both Mighty Saturns sets and Apollo 11 for £100 recently.  Great stuff, with material you won'y have seen before (like: Saturn 1 development flight footage from within the S-IV oxygen tank showing the oxidiser draining away (I never realised before that LOX looks just like water when it's not boiling and steaming away!)).

Bob Shaw

Mighty Saturns is excellent. Of those you mention Dead or Alive is probably the best (strangely titled) but I thought Part II was really bad. They bascially spend 50 minutes of the hour talking about the flash memory problem and then the rest of the 10 minutes talking about how they were afraid to grind blueberries with the RAT. Then at the end they say one sentence like "Spirit's flash memory problem was fixed and it visited a crater and the Columbia Hills. Opportunity left its crater and looked at a crater called Endurance." And that was it. Ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Sep 4 2005, 05:06 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 424

The original installment of "Mars, Dead or Alive," is available for watching online on the Nova website.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mars/program.html

Unfortunately the files aren't available for downloading.

Tom Tamlyn

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 4 2005, 06:00 PM
Post #7

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Sep 4 2005, 05:06 PM)
The original installment of "Mars, Dead or Alive," is available for watching online on the Nova website.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mars/program.html

Unfortunately the files aren't available for downloading.

Tom Tamlyn

And is not visible if you're outside the USA as far as I can tell. sad.gif

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 4 2005, 09:25 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 103

Don't feel so bad...I live in the US and the website won't let me access the program, either - it tells me that I'm trying to access it from outside the US.

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 27 2005, 06:05 PM
Post #9

Guests

There's one DVD Mars-enthusiasts should look forward to with greatest expectations...
Well I'm looking forward to it !
http://www.themarsunderground.com/

Best regards,
Philip mars.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 28 2005, 06:40 AM
Post #10

Guests

Well folks, it looks like Spacecraft Films is considering bringing a DVD series on unmanned spaceflight ...
Well there exist certainly some great video-images at the JPL archive, so if well-researched following DVD-sets on Mars would be desirable biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Mariner 4 + 6 + 7 + 9 reconnaissance of Mars. mars.gif

Viking 1 & 2 Orbiters & Landers exploration of Mars. mars.gif

Global Surveyor, Mars Odyssey and Mars Express photograph Mars from orbit. mars.gif

Pathfinder-Sojourner and both Mars Exploration Rovers conduct intensive studies of Mars. mars.gif

You can always send Your suggestion to their website at:
( Click ' Future Products ' )

http://www.spacecraftfilms.com/

... can't wait ...
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/

Best regards,
Philip
mars.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 9 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #11

Guests

Added some DVDs on righthand side of my Mars-Literature weblog:
http://mars-literature.skynetblogs.be/
smile.gif
Philip
mars.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 15 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #12

Guests

Look at the very last movie on this weblink ohmy.gif

Does anybody know if this is available on CD-ROM ? It's an excellent summary of the best Press Briefings of the 1997 Mars Pathfinder team !

http://cecelia.physics.indiana.edu/life/video/pbs.html

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Dec 18 2005, 03:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Marcel @ Jul 12 2005, 02:41 PM)

Eyes on Mars
Wheels on Mars
Mars, dead or alive.

Marcel.

The PBS NOVA program "Mars: Dead or Alive" smile.gif pancam.gif wheel.gif

is outstanding and was first broadcast as Spirit was landing in Jan 2004.

A year later in Jan 2005, PBS NOVA followed up with the equally excellent "Welcome to Mars" smile.gif pancam.gif wheel.gif

which covers most of the first year of flight operations and also includes additional Dan Maas footage of Oppy approaching Endurance.

They are "must haves" which I highly recommend. Both have extensive interviews and behind the scenes shots with Steve Squyres and many other members of the MER teams.

here is the link to PBS website for lots more info on both DVD's

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/mars/

"Eyes on Mars" is from Space.com and is all pre-landing

its good and has an excellent interview with Dan Maas pancam.gif explaining the details of his fabulous animation. That alone makes it worthwhile

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Dec 19 2005, 08:17 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12

I have an unopened (pristine) copy of 'Mars - Dead or Alive' for sale. Will sell for £6 (includes postage) within UK, £7.20 to rest of EU. If this counts as spam please delete, but it seems relevant to this thread.

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Dec 19 2005, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 190

Marcel:

Bob Shaw

Ohhh neato! ohmy.gif It should have looked darker blue than water though right? I have always wanted to see what a large quantity of liquid O2 looked like. One time when I was at KSC on a tour as a kid I saw a big tank that said "DANGER LIQUID OZONE"; I would sooooo love to see what that looks like! Its supposedly deep purplish/blue and highly (para?)magnetic. lovely. (and I bet you all thought your obsessions were unusual! laugh.gif )

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.