Time for another topic, me thinks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jul 13 2017, 01:43 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 196

figuring this "Perseverance Valley" thread should populate with said content...are we there yet??

Here are some stereo views from sol4786 images of presumably water-carved topography downslope of the spillway
(ICE didn't deal well with the contrast scope so at left is anaglyph of 3 pairs, crosseye of left portion, crosseye of right portion, at right is a parellel of most lumpy section).
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jul 13 2017, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1102

The pancam images for the past several days show a ground texture that looks like it is cemented together and really interesting textures. Maybe some of the image wizards can put these images together for all to see. We won't be getting too much back for a while, but channel already looks very interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jul 14 2017, 12:49 AM
Post #4

nice to see MI images being taken again sol4787, these look set up to stitch for stereo pairs so heres the stitch and one of its sub-pairs in crosseye/anaglyph
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Jul 14 2017, 01:57 PM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (Floyd @ Jul 13 2017, 03:22 PM) *
The pancam images for the past several days show a ground texture that looks like it is cemented together and really interesting textures. Maybe some of the image wizards can put these images together for all to see. We won't be getting too much back for a while, but channel already looks very interesting.

I'm not so sure about the terrain being cemented. The RHAZ show quite visible cleat marks indicating the soil can be compressed by the cleats. To my untrained eye, this looks more like gravel. Anyway, parking brake is set, we even turned the RF wheel a bit to keep things according to MDOT (Martian Department of Transportation) regulations. See yoou in a couple of weeks.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jul 16 2017, 12:39 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1102

OK Maybe not cemented, but some of these slabs look polished--almost like glacial polish. Does this look like polish by running water to any of you?

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 16 2017, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1241

Hi floyd,
we have seen what a couple of million years of low density Mar's wind can do to 'fluted' rocks.
I think the environment there is alien enough that we cant quite appreciate the processes
On Earth you be hard pressed to find a dozen 'craters' due to fast (compared to mars) erosion (rain, winds, quakes, tectonics, oceans)
These could be stream cobbles or wind eroded ...
I am waiting on Grotzinger .et al to weigh in.
But it sure is fascinating! Awesome image!

See you around town, fellow Bostonian!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jul 17 2017, 05:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 692

That surface does look a little different to my untrained eye. There is work to do here!

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Jul 17 2017, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Perseverance Valley indeed seems to differ somewhat significantly in the bedrock and consistency of the soils, comparing relatively similar filter#2 views from Marathon sol4122 with its more pillowy bedrock and angular shards versus the more pebbly and sheared surface seen here in Perseverance sol4791.

That observation, at least in this very limited sampling, doesn't completely hold up when perusing a sampling of MI images at Marathon sol4131 vs Perseverance sol4787, but still some interesting differences are apparent and despite the better focus and exposure of the more recently acquired MI, it seems like the muddier fines have been cleaned away here. I'm curious whether any of this owes to winds in each locale, inferring that here in Perseverance we might expect better solar panel cleaning events? since if seasonal patterns are consistent the images linked are just about 1 Mars year apart.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jul 18 2017, 03:45 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 4338

Attached Image

Different all right. Parallel-eye stereo.

Are there some berries on that grooved fragment? It's hard for me to tell.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jul 19 2017, 02:39 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 4605

Different, but attractive.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 19 2017, 05:14 AM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Different indeed.

I wonder if we're seeing the effects of a few tens or hundreds of millions of years of wind scouring on harder than usual bedrock.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 19 2017, 04:31 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 152

We're starting to see some clouds as we head towards winter. Here's an navcam animation from 4793:
Attached Image

This is a stretched difference of each frame from the average of the frames.

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Jul 23 2017, 06:49 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 353

The road ahead.

The Pancam L2 images taken between Sol 4785 and Sol 4793 stitched together.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Jul 24 2017, 04:42 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 1241

QUOTE (fredk @ Jul 19 2017, 12:31 PM) *
We're starting to see some clouds as we head towards winter. Here's an navcam animation from 4793:
This is a stretched difference of each frame from the average of the frames.

Hi Fred,
The originals have that bright 'half moon' in the lower third of the frames (which I think you chopped off)
What is that bright area?

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.