IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

28 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dust Storm- Opportunity EOM, the end of the beginning of a new era in robotic spaceflight
xflare
post Dec 13 2018, 02:50 PM
Post #331

Group: Members
Member No.: 84

QUOTE (marsophile @ Dec 13 2018, 07:31 AM) *

That article says pretty much the same as the one from the Planetary Society, however this tweet from systems engineer that came a few days later is less optimistic now sad.gif

https://twitter.com/AstroStaab/status/1072216372849954816
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Dec 14 2018, 01:14 AM
Post #332

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

My take is that the likelyhood of Oppy waking up increases as time goes by until end of January 2019 then it drops quite rapidly. The idea being that between Ls 290 and Ls 310 we have seen cleaning events. As it stands Oppy likely needs more than one cleaning event to regain consciousness. Once the windy season is over Winter will get the vehicle too cold to survive. This is *my* take, not an official position of my employer, yadda yadda yadda.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Dec 14 2018, 03:10 AM
Post #333

Member No.: 3988

I have a question for you Paolo. I am trying to get an idea of what the final physical state of what the rover was left in. The last hazcam's show that the arm was placed on a target with the APXS in contact and I vaguely recall reading in a planetary society update that it was a team's decision to leave the arm placed on that target during storm prep. I have not been able to locate that again. Was this the case? What was the final position that the camera mast in? I assume it was placed so the cameras were pointed down in such a dust storm situation. I just find it fascinating to know because the final known pose position for any surface mission would be how they would look for millions or even billions of years. It is how they will look like when astronaut's walk up to them. smile.gif

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Dec 14 2018, 06:55 AM
Post #334

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

Yes, the APXS is down on the target. We didn't have any power to do anything except take the last tau measurement. The PMA is always "stowed" before a shutdown, that is the elevation is at least 17 deg below the horizon. We do not point the PMA straight down in case the elevation actuator stops working you can at least see a bit of terrain in front of the rover while having the cameras pointed down-ish.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Dec 18 2018, 05:24 AM
Post #335

Member No.: 3988

Thank you for confirming that for me, Paolo.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Dec 31 2018, 01:59 AM
Post #336

Member No.: 4338

Assuming a clock fault has occurred on Opportunity, what happens to the clock once power is restored? Does it reset to a random time and continue from there? Or does it remain unusable until a reset is commanded from Earth?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Dec 31 2018, 03:07 AM
Post #337

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (marsophile @ Dec 30 2018, 05:59 PM) *
Assuming a clock fault has occurred on Opportunity, what happens to the clock once power is restored? Does it reset to a random time and continue from there?

https://www-robotics.jpl.nasa.gov/publicati...Drift_final.pdf -- I expect that the Mission Clock would reset to zero if the power dropped below the maintenance level, but I'm not sure. It really doesn't matter for recovery as there are other sol-based timers that will be used. If they recover, resetting the clock should be simple.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jan 6 2019, 06:50 PM
Post #338

As we know, there have been many spurious DSN locks on Opportunity. I assume however that a DSN lock can only occur at a time when an antenna is scheduled for downlink on a mission, i.e., the antenna is actively listening.

Thus, I am puzzled by this, no doubt spurious, lock
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1081774112303919105
which, if I am not mistaken, occurred around 5am local solar time at the Opportunity site. Why would a listening window be scheduled for a time that seems clearly before any "solar groovy" time? A scheduling artifact?

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jan 6 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #339

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (marsophile @ Jan 6 2019, 10:50 AM) *
if I am not mistaken, occurred around 5am local solar time at the Opportunity site

Tweet is dated 8:47 PM 1/5/2019, which I assume is PST. That's 04:47 UT on 2019-006 which according to MarsJ24 is 11:12 LMST at Opportunity.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Jan 7 2019, 12:59 AM
Post #340

Member No.: 4605

Nice and sunny albeit with a dusty haze. So was it a carrier lock on Opportunity?

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jan 7 2019, 03:45 AM
Post #341

QUOTE (serpens @ Jan 6 2019, 04:59 PM) *
Nice and sunny albeit with a dusty haze. So was it a carrier lock on Opportunity?

Most likely a lock on Maven, which was active shortly afterwards at a similar frequency and power level (when it uses LGA)
https://twitter.com/dsn_status/status/1081790404515766272

I had thought the Oppy time specified at the Mars Rover site
https://mars.nasa.gov/mer/home/
matched that at the Lemmon site
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~lemmon/mars/MERClocks/merb.html
but they seem to have fallen out of synch.

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Jan 7 2019, 02:13 PM
Post #342

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

Not sure what's up with the JPL clock. The other one is out of date by several leap seconds (and a sol 1k issue). The tau site has a more up to date clock.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Jan 26 2019, 03:08 AM
Post #343

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

New campaign strategy to contact Oppy.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7318

+Quote Post
marsophile
post Jan 26 2019, 07:13 PM
Post #344

QUOTE (MahFL @ Jan 25 2019, 07:08 PM) *
New campaign strategy to contact Oppy.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7318

Interesting that they are checking for possible X-band radio and backup X-band radio failures, and trying UHF.

There is a lot we don't know about major Martian dust storms. One would imagine with the cold and dryness there might be buildups of static electricity. Perhaps electrical discharges occur. (It might have been worthwhile for MRO to image the night side of Mars during the dust storm on the oft-chance that such discharges might be visible.)

If Opportunity were to be hit by an electrical discharge, what would be most likely to be affected? Are there scenarios in which a limited subset of the facilities might be knocked out?

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Jan 28 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #345

Member No.: 424

Kenneth Chang of the New York Times put up an elegiac article last Friday, with extensive comments by Steven Squyres: ‘This Could Be the End’ for NASA’s Mars Opportunity Rover.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/science/...nity-rover.html

+Quote Post

28 Pages V  « < 21 22 23 24 25 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:30 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.