djellison
post Oct 14 2008, 12:30 PM
Post #61

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Youch
http://rapidfire.sci.gsfc.nasa.gov/subsets...ERONET_La_Jolla

(and good luck with the Hernia np - you might come out bionic with the weave matting they use to hold them in place!)

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 14 2008, 01:30 PM
Post #62

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thanks for the good wishes, guys; it's much appreciated! smile.gif

Re bionic: I've been asking them to replace my existing plumbing with dolomite-enhanced PVC for years, but do they listen? Nooo...damn cheap contractors!!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Oct 14 2008, 04:16 PM
Post #63

Group: Members
Member No.: 627

Yes, nprev... best wishes...

Craig

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 14 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #64

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 14 2008, 04:30 AM) *

*cough cough cough* The fire's a bad one, but fortunately it's keeping several miles away from me. There are even blue skies overhead today. But everything smells like smoke. I have friends who live in one of the canyon communities to the west of me, who were evacuated yesterday and are now inhabiting my guest room indefinitely.

Every year there are fires somewhere in the Southland (that's what they call southern California in the local media), and every year I'm amazed and impressed with the preparedness and performance of the firefighters and all the other organizations who support them, from the police to animal control (the latter sends out armies of trailers to go into evacuated communities and grab horses and other large animals and take them to shelters -- the same canyon communities that are prone to wildfire are usually ones with lots of horse owners). These fires have the potential to be a huge and costly disaster, burning hundreds or thousands of homes. But because of year-round preparedness, enforcement of brush clearance ordinances, rules about roof materials and the proximity of large trees, even what species of trees, and the readiness of more than a thousand firefighters, they can let the fire do what it wants with the brushland while protecting nearly every home and outbuilding from being burned. In the areas that are actively burning right now, the TV helicopters reveal that nearly every driveway has a police car parked in it, and a fire truck on the street; tactical teams of firefighters march into the backyard of each house, one by one, defending it as the fire burns past. Spotters on the ground call in the aerial troops, skycranes and super scoopers dumping water on hot spots. If you drive through burned areas in the days after a fire you'll see acre after blackened acre, abruptly bordering lush green backyards and untouched Mission-style homes with bright red clay tile roofs. It's amazing.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 14 2008, 11:56 PM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

The response really is amazing as Emily described. The coordination alone is marvelous, considering that you're dealing with city, county & state government agencies; these guys are on the spot in MINUTES if something breaks out, and this is a huge area (maybe 2500 square miles) we're talking about. There's a lot to be learned here about organizational management.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 15 2008, 04:20 AM
Post #66

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 13 2008, 07:06 PM) *
Gotta go under the knife this Fri for a hernia... <snip>... Going to the doc tomorrow, might be going in for surgery sooner.

As someone who survived hernia repair 20 years ago, I can tell you that it's not all that uncomfortable -- they work through a relatively small incision, and depending on the location of the hernia, the healing repair is often (and was for me) less painful than the hernia itself is.

Have you heard if the surgery has been moved up? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know when you're going under the old knife.

I've had two full-on operations in my adult life, where I was put completely out with drugs. One was the hernia repair 20 years ago, the other was the emergency removal of my appendix about five years ago. My one best memory from both is the completely relaxed and relief-drenched feeling of waking up in the recovery room, in no pain and with a drug-supplied sense of self-satisfaction at surviving the pain and coming out the other side.

Vaya con dios, my friend...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 15 2008, 05:50 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 116

Well, all I can hope for would be the best for all of you who are potentially in harm's way, whether it be by fire or knife. As has been noted, it truly is nice to see how well most modern-day emergency responders perform when called upon. smile.gif Take care.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 16 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #68

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 14 2008, 08:20 PM) *
Have you heard if the surgery has been moved up? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to know when you're going under the old knife.

Hey, oDoug, and thanks for your concern. Nope, ain't been moved up; surgical theatre availability is tight in this quite populous city, and apparently this isn't life threatening for several weeks (still scares me, though.)

On the lighter side, I was able to watch the last season of The Sopranos finally as well as season 5 of Aqua Teen Hunger Force on DVD; dunno what I'm gonna watch after the freakin' surgery now, but that was fun!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Oct 17 2008, 06:15 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 15

Hey, Nick -- tried to leave you a PM and your mailbox is full!

Here's a brief precis of what I wrote (and will send to you once you clean out your mailbox a bit):

Good luck! I'm sure everything will turn out fine!

And avoid watching really funny things for the first week or so after the surgery. You don't want to indulge in a lot of energetic laughter. Trust me, I know... huh.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 18 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #70

Merciless Robot

Thanks, Doug; cleaning on inbox accomplished! smile.gif

Just now got back from the hospital; it's done, flyin' on Vikodin now, but it still hurts like hell. I'm thinkin' the the classic gangster movie gutshot might be the most painful thing imaginable; the doc told me that intestines do NOT like to be handled, I believe it!

Thanks again to all for your kind wishes; it's great to have friends!:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 3 2009, 01:23 AM
Post #71

Merciless Robot

Sorry to resurrect this, but seems appropriate. Are all our UK friends weathering this sudden snowstorm all right? Looked pretty miserable on the news over here in the States!

--------------------

+Quote Post
helvick
post Feb 3 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #72

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

Don't know about the UK but here in this part of Ireland (just west of Dublin) we've had the first proper fall of snow since January 2001. Now that's only about 10cm which I'm sure anyone used to proper winters would laugh at but we really aren't kitted out for this here, roads are treacherous and we have no snow plows, nobody has adequate tyres for icy conditions and the airports\trains\buses are all grinding to a halt. It's not actually all that cold - -2 to -5C, we had a couple of much colder snaps just before Christmas but they were dry so provided folks have made it home it's not really all that bad. Things are a lot worse in the UK though to be fair.

My main worry is that I'm supposed to be heading off to sunny Madrid later today for a few days teaching the folks in Dell about some of their cool new toys and I was really looking forward to it but it seems there is a risk that Dublin airport is likely to be shut down and I may not escape. smile.gif

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 3 2009, 05:09 AM
Post #73

Member No.: 530

A little ribbing...

London, the city that survived the Blitz, crumbles under a little snow

+Quote Post
Stu
post Feb 3 2009, 06:36 AM
Post #74

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (nprev @ Feb 3 2009, 01:23 AM) *
Sorry to resurrect this, but seems appropriate. Are all our UK friends weathering this sudden snowstorm all right? Looked pretty miserable on the news over here in the States!

Fine here in Kendal... we had about 3"/4" in the end, but you'd have thought we were in the middle of THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW the way some people were whining and panicking. Makes me wonder how people in Siberia and Norway etc cope - oh hang on, no it doesn't, I know their secret - THEY'RE NOT WUSSES!!!!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 3 2009, 09:39 AM
Post #75

Member No.: 542

Well I'm snowed in here in Wales, but that's not particularly unusual. You won't hear any more of it on the international news once it's cleared up in London.

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.