IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New MSL and MER comparison Image from JPL, Setting Expectations for Future Generations
mars loon
post Mar 21 2006, 11:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

A revealing new comparison image of MSL and MER

The JPL caption and article are below

This artist's concept shows that the next generation rover, Mars Science Laboratory, is much larger than Spirit and Opportunity.
Credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech

Setting Expectations for Future Generations

That's important, because the rovers depend on sun intake for their health. Like many boomers, they will be seeking the sunniest places to face winter, which is once again approaching on Mars. Having already lasted over a martian year - almost nine times longer than planned! - no one is sure just how much longer they will last.

"Once the rovers stop working, I'll miss seeing new pictures every day, but since I don't consider myself ancient, I hope to work on the Mars Science Laboratory mission after the rovers die," smiles Matijevic.

And, as new generations of rovers continue driving faster and farther on Mars, future generations of astronauts--perhaps the grandchildren of today's Baby Boomers--will begin to head farther away from Earth. On the horizon is a whole new era for a human-robotic partnership, with the young-at-heart rovers raising the bar for all who follow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 22 2006, 01:15 PM
Post #2

Guests

I've read somewhere online that MSL might be nuclear powered so it could probably operate much longer possibly up to a decade ( remember the Viking landers wink.gif )
Philip
mars.gif

+Quote Post
chris
post Mar 22 2006, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 135

If what kills the MERs is broken wires caused by movement in a thermally hostile environment, then they are going to have to do some clever work to stop the same thing killing MSL.

Chris

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 22 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #4

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

When you've got yay-kW of heat sitting on the back of your rover, I suppose your could pipe it around to keep everything nice and toasty smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
Chmee
post Mar 22 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 206

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 22 2006, 09:14 AM) *
When you've got yay-kW of heat sitting on the back of your rover, I suppose your could pipe it around to keep everything nice and toasty smile.gif
Doug

Strange that this illustration of MSL (and many others), do not show the RTG off the back. It's almost like they do not want to draw too much attention to it. Mmmmmm...

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 22 2006, 02:24 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (djellison @ Mar 22 2006, 06:14 AM) *
When you've got yay-kW of heat sitting on the back of your rover, I suppose your could pipe it around to keep everything nice and toasty...

Sadly, not as easy as it might sound. That'll be done for the main body of the rover, but stuff mounted on the extremities (wheels, mast, arm, etc.) is pretty much on its own. And electrical power for heaters, while available, is not all that plentiful. Surviving the temperature cycles is still a big challenge.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 22 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 209

QUOTE (Chmee @ Mar 22 2006, 09:24 AM) *
Strange that this illustration of MSL (and many others), do not show the RTG off the back.

...and I figure the lack of solar panels in the image is a graphic form of Pig Latin from JPL- "Oweredpay ybay RTGay. On'tday elltay ethay ublicpay".

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
jabe
post Mar 22 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 201

mmm..
If my recollection of a press conference a while ago where they had a mockup..I thought the body of the msl was a "V" shape..anyone have screen shot somewhere of the MSL?

+Quote Post
chris
post Mar 22 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #9

Hmm, this makes me wonder - other than the MERs, is there any moving machinery with wiring looms and motors and complex joints that has been operated long term in an environment as hostile as Mars?

Chris

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 22 2006, 05:13 PM
Post #10

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Hostile - maybe some of the deep oceanic drilling equipment, but even that can get pulled up and sorted out - it probably sits at 4 degrees all day every day. Perhaps some of the equipment they have at the Antarctic Research Stations

But Hostile like Mars? Long-duration balloon experiements perhaps, but to be honest, I can't think of a long duration analogue on Earth.

Doug

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 22 2006, 06:16 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 209

It seems to me, given that MSL's primary surface mission duration is one Martian year, and the fact that the MERs started having wire problems after one Martian year (with hardware designed for 90 sols), the technology is probably within reach. Of course, you'd want to build in enough margin for MSL to last >> one Mars year, and also consider the fact that MSL will be doing much more driving.

QUOTE (chris @ Mar 22 2006, 12:09 PM) *
Hmm, this makes me wonder - other than the MERs, is there any moving machinery with wiring looms and motors and complex joints that has been operated long term in an environment as hostile as Mars?

My company's got some robots operating in some very nasty and extreme manufacturing environments - more often in heat than cold, granted. But, like Doug says, the key is maintenance. Any machine has a decent chance at long term survival if there's someone around to do routine PM on it. Mars is a little remote for your average service call wink.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Mar 22 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (chris @ Mar 22 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Chris

Lunkhod 1 and 2 not as long as the mers, and in an arguabley more hostile environment

+Quote Post
jaywee
post Mar 22 2006, 06:37 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 363

And did they put the HGA back? I remember seeing a design about half year ago which had only UHF helix and LGA.

+Quote Post
chris
post Mar 22 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (odave @ Mar 22 2006, 06:16 PM) *
It seems to me, given that MSL's primary surface mission duration is one Martian year.... (snip)

Ah, thats a good point. They will put in some extra effort, then, which if the MERs are anything to go by, may last a good long time.

I wonder if making the bendy parts of the wiring loom with gold wires would help - it is amazingly ductile.

Chris

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 22 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (jaywee @ Mar 22 2006, 06:37 PM) *
And did they put the HGA back? I remember seeing a design about half year ago which had only UHF helix and LGA.

Oh, yes -- that big dish on a short mast smack in the middle of MSL's upper deck is the HGA. (Adding the direct-to-Earth radio link added a surprising amount of weight to MSL.)

QUOTE (jabe @ Mar 22 2006, 04:56 PM) *
mmm..
If my recollection of a press conference a while ago where they had a mockup..I thought the body of the msl was a "V" shape..anyone have screen shot somewhere of the MSL?

There are overhead and front diagrams of it available somewhere, although I can't remember just where at the moment (I have them in my trusty CD-ROM file). But it always had a rectangular body shape.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.