59 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Endeavour Drive - Drivability analysis
Shaka
post Oct 6 2008, 08:47 PM
Post #496

Group: Members
Member No.: 618

Cool, the way the image color scheme matches your avatar, JM!
You must have seen this task coming long ago. cool.gif
What is your avatar BTW?

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 6 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #497

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 6 2008, 10:47 PM) *
What is your avatar BTW?

Research Triangle (Park) of some sort I guess

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 6 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #498

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 6 2008, 04:47 PM) *
What is your avatar BTW?

Pretty nerdly. It is a set of five elements: (from clockwise upper right) Air, Fire, Earth, Wind, and (center) Gaia (lifeforce).

-Mike

(Actually, at this point in my career I'm pretty pleased that I've used 45 of the elements of the Periodic table. Scoring Lanthanide points was tough cool.gif .)

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 6 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #499

Comparison images of UMSF terrain maps to date of area S of Victoria:
Attached Image

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
alan
post Oct 6 2008, 09:52 PM
Post #500

Member No.: 110

I think overlaying two HiRES images taken during different seasons could help identify terrain where the ground has a modest slope to the north-south. The areas where the elevation increases to the south should be brighter during the northern summer than during the norther winter.

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Oct 6 2008, 11:16 PM
Post #501

Member No.: 112

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 7 2008, 12:49 AM) *
Pretty nerdly. It is a set of five elements: (from clockwise upper right) Air, Fire, Earth, Wind, and (center) Gaia (lifeforce).

Gaia ? I thought Milla Jovovich was the 5th element ! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 7 2008, 01:01 AM
Post #502

Pixel counts of the (full?) res HiRise version that have been linked in this thread:
Endurance = 634 pixels across = 200 m = 3.2 pixels/m
Eagle = 99 pixels across = 30 m = 3.3 pixels/m
Oppy rover = 12 pixels across (some could be shadow) = 2.3 m = <5.2 pixels/m

I'll use 3.3 pixels/m as an estimate for the full res HiRise images we've been dealing with. (This makes the big scary dune wavelength = 22 pixels = 6.6 m wavelength = 3 Oppy lengths)

In the S Victoria HiRise region there is a very cute crater that is about 180 pixels diameter = ca. 55 m. We can use this as a measuring stick for the 50 m corridor.
(Does this little guy have a name?)
Attached Image

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Oct 7 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #503

Member No.: 618

That crater's not only cute, it looks like a classic cluster impact. Good place to look for pieces of impactor!
I'd give it a gold star.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
Beauford
post Oct 7 2008, 03:32 AM
Post #504

Member No.: 4349

QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 6 2008, 07:12 PM) *
That crater's not only cute, it looks like a classic cluster impact. Good place to look for pieces of impactor!
I'd give it a gold star.

Yes, I agree that this "bad boy" deserves a closer look if it can be reached without excessive risk. (See posts #143, #209, and #222.)

If someone were to provide me with a nice image directly to the south of the one shown in post #222, I can show you how one person believes we can get there.

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 7 2008, 04:33 AM
Post #505

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (TheChemist @ Oct 6 2008, 06:16 PM) *
Gaia ? I thought Milla Jovovich was the 5th element ! rolleyes.gif

While Sagan's Contact remains my all time favorite science fiction story; Leeloo, Bruce Willis, and the 5th Element are also on my favorites list.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 7 2008, 04:49 AM
Post #506

Trying to minimize the red/blue areas and maximize the green (smooth low-ripple sand), I whipped up some possible routes that have the longest corridors of "green" smooth sand. These are very risk averse. (Even minimizing pavement with possible dune ripples or cracks)

The boxes are ca. 50 m on a side. (4 boxes would be a good day of driving).

Black boxes show a preferred route, yellow acceptable routes, orange routes are still risk-averse but may cross a few tougher areas or be longer.
Attached Image

These were all checked by myself in the hi-res imagery. (Yup, smooth sand).

I also uploaded higher-resolution images and overlays on the speedyshare server (the colored boxes on the hi-res maps didn’t transfer over very well)::
Proposed routes overlaid on HiRise imagery at 12.5% resolution (30.2 Mb .tif file): http://www.speedyshare.com/569973455.html
Proposed routes overlaid on colorized differential shift graphic with terrain overlay at 12.5% resolution (30.2 Mb .tif file): http://www.speedyshare.com/378217128.html
Proposed routes overlaid on colorized differential-shift terrain map with no overlay at 12.5% resolution (30.2 Mb .tif file): http://www.speedyshare.com/125370328.html

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 7 2008, 07:46 AM
Post #507

Member No.: 253

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 7 2008, 03:01 AM) *
Pixel counts of the (full?) res HiRise version that have been linked in this thread:
Endurance = 634 pixels across = 200 m = 3.2 pixels/m
Eagle = 99 pixels across = 30 m = 3.3 pixels/m
Oppy rover = 12 pixels across (some could be shadow) = 2.3 m = <5.2 pixels/m

I'll use 3.3 pixels/m as an estimate for the full res HiRise images we've been dealing with. (This makes the big scary dune wavelength = 22 pixels = 6.6 m wavelength = 3 Oppy lengths)

AFAIK, these map projected HiRISE pictures have a resolution of 25cm/pix (4 pix/m). Check the "observation toolbox" for e.g. PSP_001414_1780 and PSP_009141_1780.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Oct 7 2008, 01:37 PM
Post #508

Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Juramike @ Oct 7 2008, 05:49 AM) *
I whipped up some possible routes that have the longest corridors of "green" smooth sand.

Did you take into account that driving directly north-south between larger ripples may be easier than driving diagonally across smaller ripples? I might have chosen a route that goes directly south where ripples are questionable and goes southeastish where the driving is good. But I guess the question of how small do ripples need to be before we can safely cross them diagonally is something a rover driver knows best...

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 7 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #509

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Mike - as soon as you get off the green areas, you are limited in the direction you can move, with due south being preferred, and absolutely essential as the terrain gets rougher. I think your preferred route would actually be very difficult where you head eastwards off the Victoria ejecta.

There are three south-pointing extensions of the smooth ejecta, south of the crater. Any one will give you a good start, but I think the western one gives a shorter route through the worst area.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Oct 7 2008, 02:12 PM
Post #510

The proposed routes were designed to allow maximum drive direction flexibility and safety within the 50 m box. I tried my best to avoid any dune crests. My goal was to find the most "parking lot"-like terrain possible. (....must...avoid...red...zones....)

While a straight S course through a bad section (red zone) might be easier (and faster), extra-careful planning will be necessary. And Oppy won't be able to deviate easily from inside a deep trough.

However one gets through the Victoria S debris apron, the intersection point of all the proposed paths looks like the natural "drain" leading towards the green parking lot terrain in the SE section of the image.

-Mike

--------------------

+Quote Post

59 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:39 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.