50 Pages V  « < 48 49 50  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
ngunn
post Jul 9 2011, 08:24 AM
Post #736

Group: Members
Member No.: 542

Today we have (I think) a full pancam horizon scan. smile.gif I immediately took a look at the south-to-southwest views to see if I could spot the 'Mule Ears' or indeed anything else in that direction that might recently have come into view. The images are small and there aren't many pixels to work with. I'm not sure if the filter is optimised for distant views - The Endeavour far rim looks pretty faint in them. I don't even know how to fit compass bearings to the images. So I didn't hold out much hope of finding anything.

Nevertheless there is one faint possibility that I'd like checked out - a couple of blips amongst the noise on the far right horizon here: http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...00P2281L1M1.JPG
The rightmost one is directly above a small but prominent bright spot in the foreground. Unfortunately that part of the horizon is cut off in the next image. Most probably nothing, but it would be interesting at least to check out the bearing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jul 9 2011, 04:02 PM
Post #737

Member No.: 152

I think the problem is the season - we're now well into southern summer, and the sky is pretty hazy. You can see how hazy by comparing the Endeavour far rim with views from around an Earth year ago. At their best those very distant southern features (Mule Ears from Miyamoto and Bopolu) weren't easy, and I think all of our sightings were from the last local Martian winter, when the skies are normally much clearer.

But these full 360 L1 albedo pans are done fairly regularly - the last one was 2636, so it might be worth comparing the south views from other such pans.

What I'd love to see is a climb up Cape Tribulation and a 360 degree pan, during the depth of winter, with crystal-clear skies... pancam.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jul 9 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #738

Member No.: 542

Good idea to check previous, but holidays are about to intervene for me. Don't go spotting anything exciting till I get back. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 17 2011, 10:28 PM
Post #739

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

JUST FOR FUN, wondering if we might see something like this when Oppy eventually goes "Over the top"...

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 17 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #740

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Ooo. Here's hopin'! wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
kenny
post Jul 18 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #741

Member No.: 759

I'd say that's about right....

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Jul 25 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #742

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

Here is an attempt to match the distant features in the sol 2664/5 navcams with a reprojected orbital image, similar to those I did way back.

A point of trivia: Those hills on the far left (the north rim, twin peaks as we called them way back when) are at a similar distance to Victoria crater. That's how far we've come!

James
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  « < 48 49 50
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.