Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2003 EL61, News ...
SigurRosFan
post Mar 14 2007, 09:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 471

----------
Mike Brown ... and his team discovered that five small Kuiper belt objects were travelling in similar orbits to 2003 EL61, the third-largest KBO ever found. The discovery hinted that the five pieces are fragments that split off after an ancient collision.
----------

- Icy chips off the old asteroid block

--------------------
- blue_scape / Nico -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Superstring
post Mar 15 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1129

Looking at the recent articles on the subject...is there any reason why they conclude the impact took place in ancient history? I ask because EL61 is a bright object covered in fresh crystalline ice (which can only last for 10 million years in that part of the solar system before turning amorphous). I had assumed this was due to the said impact that created its satellites and those other objects.

To me the presence of such fresh crystalline ice on most of its surface leaves two options: a)the impact that created the satellites and orbital family took place in the past 10 million years, or b)the impact took place long ago and triggered enough heat in the core for cryovolcanism which continues to this day.

I'm trying to rule out one or the other...anyone know if the ice on these smaller objects is crystalline? That would strongly suggest a recent impact. I know the brighter satellites has crystalline ice, but that doesn't necessarily rule out cryovolcanism, which could spray material onto its surface.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:45 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.