Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How does Nasa round off its number in its math eq
ncc1701d
post Jul 9 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1063

When calculating orbital paths for unmanned spacecraft how does NASA round off its numbers when doing calculations if at all?
Do they use unrounded off numbers throughout the math and round it off at the end? or never round off?
thanks.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 9 2013, 07:13 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

In what context, specifically? What are you attempting to understand?

+Quote Post
ncc1701d
post Jul 9 2013, 10:03 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 9 2013, 08:13 PM) *
In what context, specifically? What are you attempting to understand?

Well like when they plotted the path for voyager to swing around planets using gravity assist etc they would I think calculate gravity of the planets and elliptical orbital paths of spacecraft etc and had to plot that all out. Lots of simulators like celestia etc to must round off numbers sometimes to mimic accurately what paths historical craft have taken? I am not sure even if they round off that is why I am asking. I would think you would need super precise numbers to make sure everything was timeout perfectly for the route.
or maybe a part 2 to the question is how do solar system simulators get so accurate? If so how big of numbers do programmers need to create an accurate simulator? Can 3d software programs out their work as well as simulators?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jul 9 2013, 10:20 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 4270

This is more of a computer science question than a specific spaceflight question. You can devote as many bytes as you want to store a value to improve its precision, but of course there's drawbacks.
I'd suggest you look at this link to get some ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-precis...ng-point_format

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
ncc1701d
post Jul 11 2013, 04:51 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Jul 9 2013, 11:20 PM) *
This is more of a computer science question than a specific spaceflight question. You can devote as many bytes as you want to store a value to improve its precision, but of course there's drawbacks.
I'd suggest you look at this link to get some ideas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-precis...ng-point_format

thanks..that info is propabably beyond my capablilites....
but I suppose that was the ultimate question for me was how precise does plotting a trip to the planets have to be for Nasa? Maybe just not a simple answer like I was hoping.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 11 2013, 04:54 AM
Post #6

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

An appropriate introduction might be the documents regarding Deep Space 1 and MER Navigation at the Descanso page here...

http://descanso.jpl.nasa.gov/DPSummary/sum...orce_external=0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.