10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Juno perijove 6, May 19, 2017
Gerald
post Jun 3 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

Very nice, avisolo! I knew, that there are people out there who are much better than me in creating and adding sound tracks. Thanks a lot!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PFK
post Jun 3 2017, 08:40 AM
Post #77

Member No.: 4121

QUOTE (Sean @ Jun 2 2017, 10:32 AM) *
Thanks P, Yes I made that and I'm glad you appreciate the use of Ligeti. Its not everyones cup of tea. Someone left a note saying 'Jupiter is a planet NOT a horror film!' smile.gif

Absolutely astonishing stuff; I'm in awe! No problem with Ligeti either, though as an experiment I opened a 2nd youtube window and loaded a track someone put on a while back when "stretching" music became a fad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v_Y424BWRM
is Holst's Jupiter slowed 400 times. So if you start that 8:50 in (important!), at the same time as starting your epic (sound off), and hit the volume button with yours on full screen...well the result is interesting I think!

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 3 2017, 10:51 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 7837

@PFK... It's been a fascinating online discussion regarding the music choice and having a traditional classical soundtrack is certainly what most people expect. Seeing Jupiter like this was truly mind blowing so it seemed appropriate to lean toward something exotic. Having such a strong reaction for/against is a good indicator!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_avisolo_*
post Jun 3 2017, 12:46 PM
Post #79

Guests

QUOTE (Sean @ Jun 3 2017, 10:51 AM) *
@PFK... It's been a fascinating online discussion regarding the music choice and having a traditional classical soundtrack is certainly what most people expect. Seeing Jupiter like this was truly mind blowing so it seemed appropriate to lean toward something exotic. Having such a strong reaction for/against is a good indicator!

The 2001 OST choice is cool but might freak some parents out when showing Gerald's animation to their young children. I went with Holst's Jupiter movement from his Planets suite - let's see how it affects the reception:
https://vimeo.com/220084865
BTW I have a Techno version in the works:)

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Jun 4 2017, 12:17 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 2 2017, 08:08 AM) *
Regarding parallax: I tried to identify parallax effects since the first Jupiter flyby, but wasn't able to find some, thus far, in an unambiguous way. There is some tiny displacement for high velocity jets which could be confused with parallax. But the projection isn't quite perfect, so you get some artifacts from processing inaccuracies, too.

In studies/metrics of human visual perception, there are well-known geometric circumstances that can yield higher resolution than other circumstances. For example, it is much, much easier to tell if a line has a horizontal displacement of size s in it (-------_______) than it is to determine if two lines have a difference of size s in their lengths.

Looking at the Juno video, I wondered if there is something like that which could elucidate cloud heights. For example, if a higher cloud casts a shadow on a lower cloud, a single image may leave it ambiguous whether this is really a shadow as opposed to a dark curvilinear feature in a flat cloud deck. However, if it is a relief feature, then it should disappear when viewing the same region from the sunward direction. And even if it is not resolved very well, its apparent intensity should change as viewing perspective changes so as to emphasize or hide the shadow.

The geometry of Juno's pole-to-pole passes might provide some very good opportunities to test this in the polar regions… not so much nearer the equator.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 4 2017, 06:34 AM
Post #81

QUOTE (JRehling @ Jun 4 2017, 02:17 AM) *
In studies/metrics of human visual perception, there are well-known geometric circumstances that can yield higher resolution than other circumstances. For example, it is much, much easier to tell if a line has a horizontal displacement of size s in it (-------_______) than it is to determine if two lines have a difference of size s in their lengths.

I'm using this effect for calibration purposes down to below 1/100 of a pixel, better than the human eye can perceive. But it doesn't resolve ambiguities between motion and parallax in a straightforward way.

QUOTE (JRehling @ Jun 4 2017, 02:17 AM) *
Looking at the Juno video, I wondered if there is something like that which could elucidate cloud heights. For example, if a higher cloud casts a shadow on a lower cloud, a single image may leave it ambiguous whether this is really a shadow as opposed to a dark curvilinear feature in a flat cloud deck. However, if it is a relief feature, then it should disappear when viewing the same region from the sunward direction. And even if it is not resolved very well, its apparent intensity should change as viewing perspective changes so as to emphasize or hide the shadow.

The geometry of Juno's pole-to-pole passes might provide some very good opportunities to test this in the polar regions… not so much nearer the equator.

This might work for the small white cumulus-like clouds, but I didn't verify this yet. But in the more general settings, reality is more tricky than it might look at first glance. Jupiter's appearence changes in a non-trivial way with solar incidence and emission angle due to light scattering and absorption. I'm going to analyse this effect in very detail. Might be, that a residual effect of shadows can be separated. If I'll get reliable results that way, I would need to deliver this to the Juno team first, in order to check for publishable science. I'll try to provide first results in September in Riga in any case, eyes and ears only.

+Quote Post
Guest_avisolo_*
post Jun 4 2017, 04:17 PM
Post #82

Guests

QUOTE (Gerald @ Jun 3 2017, 01:33 AM) *
Very nice, avisolo! I knew, that there are people out there who are much better than me in creating and adding sound tracks. Thanks a lot!

WHOA this seems to be getting a lot of views and likes!
https://vimeo.com/219216194

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 7 2017, 10:15 AM
Post #83

Here is an update on processing Gerald's animation for PJ06...

Click thru for a video.

I'm folding in some of the lessons learned on processing static images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 7 2017, 11:21 AM
Post #84

An update on the PJ06 sequence...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 7 2017, 11:49 AM
Post #85

Finally, I found some time to process drafts of the RGBs of the PJ06 Approach and Departure sequence, the step I'm usually doing first.
And an according draft AVI for download.
Note, that image naming is roughly by orbit, not exactly by perijove, so part of the Approach sequence contains the "05" orbit infix.

I've used two slightly different calibrations, one for the images until pj06#128 using the first several Approach images, and the images beginning with #129 with a calibration derived from the last several Departure images.
The close-ups are misaligned a bit, since for these drafts, I don't consider s/c motion nor Jupiter's shape model.

I'm now going to merge pj06+/-10h with trajectory data...

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 7 2017, 12:59 PM
Post #86

Some new processing on clouds...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 7 2017, 01:12 PM
Post #87

Can someone explain this rippled feature I culled from the PJ06 animation?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 7 2017, 01:34 PM
Post #88

That's structures in Jupiter's haze layer, details going to be investigated.
See Glenn Orton's EGU 2017 talk.
Narrow linear features traverse tens of degrees of longitude and are not confined in latitude.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 7 2017, 07:55 PM
Post #89

Here is an extended, kind, and interesting interview with Scott Bolton, Juno PI, on Planetary Radio.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Jun 8 2017, 04:26 PM
Post #90

More clouds from Geralds PJ06_112...

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 06:26 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.