3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Mars2020 landing cameras
Stratespace
post Jun 15 2016, 10:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6834

I am so enthusiastic about the (proposed) Mars2020 camera suite during EDL, as presented today at IPPW:
- 3 PointGrey Chameleon 3 that will be on the skycrane and look up, to monitor parachute deployment at 150 fps.
- 1 GoPro Hero 4 on the skycrane, looking down to monitor the rover descent and landing
- 1 GoPro Hero 4 on the rover, looking up to monitor the skycrane and fly-away
- 1 GoPro Hero 4 on the rover, looking down like MARDI did on Curiosity
- MARDI, of course.

All GoPro have microphone that will be activated, and have been tested successfully in the proper thermal and radiative environment. We should have some awsome footage if it actually flies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 16 2016, 02:28 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 3988

I have three Point Grey Chameleon3 cameras myself for my personal rover. Wonderful cameras...but you can't be serious for...2020? I doubt these are even space qualified or even hold up to the temperature extremes. Unless they will be in custom cases that are heated.

Edit: Oh and by the way, the cameras themselves I have found out put off alot of heat. smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 16 2016, 04:06 AM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Do you have a published, verified reference for this information, Stratespace? I too find it extremely difficult to believe that they plan to fly consumer-grade cameras on any Mars surface mission.

In fact, I find it impossible. I doubt very much that off-the-shelf GoPro hardware could be sterilized to meet PPPs, pass environmental qualification or meet reliability/mission assurance standards, and that's by no means a comprehensive list of requirements.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 16 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 15 2016, 08:06 PM) *
Do you have a published, verified reference for this information, Stratespace?

http://ippw2016.jhuapl.edu/docs/abstracts/...rumentation.pdf page 18 has the system description but not the specific details.

I wasn't at this conference but it seems unlikely that someone would just make this stuff up.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 16 2016, 04:23 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Mike, if you think it's credible then I'm 90% sold. Still, it seems like a very startling design choice with a large number of attendant risks, esp. for a Flagship-class mission like Mars 2020. Really want to verify this claim.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 16 2016, 04:38 AM
Post #6

Commercial hardware has been slowly making its way to Mars. The Chemcam LIBS UV-VIS-NIR optical spectrometers are commercial spectrometers from Ocean Optics but were modified for the space enviornment and survival on Mars. So if the information Stratespace presented is true, and they do plan on using Chameleons and Gopros, I'd expect them to be modified as well to withstand the conditions, and during that process, extensively cleaned to satisfy PP protocols.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 16 2016, 05:01 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 15 2016, 08:23 PM) *
...if you think it's credible then I'm 90% sold.

I think it's believable that they said they would use this hardware. Since I design and build space cameras for a living, you can likely predict how I feel about using a $300 commercial camera in such a context.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Stratespace
post Jun 16 2016, 06:48 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 16 2016, 06:06 AM) *
Do you have a published, verified reference for this information, Stratespace?
Well, the slides were just presented by JPL minutes earlier at IPPW, I did not expect to be not believed. Sooner or later, the slides will be available...

edit: phiew, someone saved me by taking a picture of one of the slides: https://twitter.com/IGerth/status/743103067655114752
For your information, PUC stands for "Parachute Up look Camera", DDC for "Descent Stage down look camera", RUC for "Rover Up look camera" and RDC for "Rover Down look camera".

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 16 2016, 07:36 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 682

Hum. This will generate a lot of data. Even if low priority images, Will we have the chance to download everything?
Anyway, I wish we had one of these on Schiaparelli rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stratespace
post Jun 16 2016, 07:44 AM
Post #10

Yep, this will generate at least ~1GB of data. Hard to transmit, but still feasible.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Jun 16 2016, 08:00 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Stratespace @ Jun 15 2016, 10:48 PM) *
I did not expect to be not believed.

I'm still in alittle dis-belief purely in a technical perspective of the choice to use these cameras. But it's exciting and interesting as well. Hope you can understand our reluctance at first to believe it. But that slide is the confirmation. Hopefully all the's camera's make it through all the testing and qualifications and make it onboard! Thank you for presenting the information here. smile.gif

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jun 16 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #12

"Notional" means they haven't decided yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 16 2016, 01:35 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 682

So, I guess we can afford one camera labbeled UNMSF on Red Dragon in 2018 smile.gif
Well, I'm not sure how to "sell" this idea to you, Mike, but I'll be glad to get your feed-back on this. May be we can open a dedicated topic?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 16 2016, 03:17 PM
Post #14

Merciless Robot

Stratespace, thank you very much, and I also apologize for my initial disbelief. Extraordinary claims and evidence, of course. wink.gif

Very interesting that this schema is being seriously considered, yes. Makes a bit more sense given that their prime function is restricted to the late EDL phase, so they're just for engineering data acquisition and 'Kodak moments'; if any or all of them don't work it wouldn't be a show-stopper.

That said, integration is always where the dragons may lurk in terms of mission risk, and at first glance this seems to have no shortage of unsettling possibilities. Should be a lot of fun to work through them all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Jun 16 2016, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 184

Herobrine has already been on this wink.gif

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=230869

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.