Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
250th anniversary of Halley recovery
Paolo
post Nov 2 2008, 12:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

No one seems to have noticed, but next December 25 marks the 250th anniversary of Palizsch's recovery of comet Halley, the first time a comet was predicted to return
http://cometography.com/pcomets/001p.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 2 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #2

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

I'll feel really old when they recover it again...anyone know when that is likely to occur?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2008, 05:52 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

Isn't Halley supposed to return in 2061? It's period is some fraction greater than 75 years, right? And it last appeared in 1986, the time before that it was here in 1910, and the time before that in 1835. It's either slated for late '61 or early '62, from that reckoning. At which time I would be somewhere around 106 years old. YMMV.

Fairly easy to predict in rough terms, though, eh? wink.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 2 2008, 06:02 PM
Post #4

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

True, but visual recovery of it will occur some time before that.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #5

Yeah, very true. Well, last time Halley was spotted telescopically just more than a year before its perihelion. It had a rather poor geometry for Earth-based observation last time, but that was during perihelion. I really don't know how the far-approach geometry compares in 2061 to what it was in 1986.

BTW, as per wiki, next perihelion is July 28, 2061. No info readily available on the approach or viewing geometry, though.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 2 2008, 07:03 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1004

By the way, Halley is still being tracked telescopically, last in 2003. According to Olivier Hainaut, who used the VLT to spot its nucleus, it probably won't be observed again until around aphelion in 2023

+Quote Post
siravan
post Nov 2 2008, 07:11 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1472

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 2 2008, 01:57 PM) *
BTW, as per wiki, next perihelion is July 28, 2061. No info readily available on the approach or viewing geometry, though.

IIRC, 2061 return won't have a favorable geometry either. I have a vague recollection that 1986 and 2061 have the two worst viewing geometry (from Earth that is!) in the last 2000 years.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 2 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 2 2008, 10:57 AM) *
Well, last time Halley was spotted telescopically just more than a year before its perihelion.

Huh? It was recovered on 16 Oct 1982 by Ed Danielson and Dave Jewitt using the Hale telescope at Palomar. Perihelion was 9 Feb 1986.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2008, 09:50 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Nov 2 2008, 03:59 PM) *
Huh? It was recovered on 16 Oct 1982 by Ed Danielson and Dave Jewitt using the Hale telescope at Palomar. Perihelion was 9 Feb 1986.

Really? We need to go fix Wikipedia, then...

The first person to visually observe comet Halley on its 1986 return was amateur astronomer Stephen James O'Meara on January 24, 1985. O'Meara used a home-built 24" telescope on top of Mauna Kea to detect the magnitude 19.6 comet.

This was footnoted:

Malcolm W. Browne (August 20, 1985). "Telescope Builders See Halley's Comet From Vermont Hilltop". The New York Times. Retrieved on 2008-01-10. (Horizons shows the nucleus @ APmag +20.5; the coma up to APmag +14.3)

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 2 2008, 09:51 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 2 2008, 10:50 PM) *
We need to go fix Wikipedia, then...

I'm not saying either one of you is wrong, but Wikipedia shouldn't be taken for gospel...

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2008, 09:55 PM
Post #11

I have a feeling that the Wikipedia reference is for the first eyeball-to-eyepiece *visual* (not photographic) recovery of Halley prior to its 1986 perihelion, and that Mike is referring to the first *photographic* recovery of the comet.

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Nov 2 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 523

Hmm, you might have a point there. Either way, photographic evidence is photographic evidence wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Nov 2 2008, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 2 2008, 01:55 PM) *
Mike is referring to the first *photographic* recovery of the comet.

Technically, Ed Danielson was using the PFUEI (Prime Focus Universal Extragalactic Instrument), which was a cooled CCD camera based on the TI 800x800 sensor used in the first WF/PC on HST.

Ed went on to be the instrument manager on the Mars Observer Camera.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 2 2008, 11:17 PM
Post #14

You know, that bring up a good semantic nit -- is it only "photographic" if it involves film? Is there another term if the light is recorded via CCDs and not film? Electronic light capture vs. photographic light capture vs. biologic (i.e., eyeball) light capture? I guess in that case, "visual" contact would only apply to the third of those options.

I find it interesting that by 2061 it's possible that Halley might not again be lost -- that we may have instruments sensitive enough to maintain electronic (if not "visual") contact all the way out to its next aphelion and back.

-the other Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th July 2020 - 01:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.