Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Assembling Voyager movies
Brian Burns
post Jul 19 2016, 02:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7991

Hello,

I'm a bit new here - I recently started on a project which I thought would be fun, to assemble movies of all the Voyager flybys. Of course, with 70k+ images, it would have to be automated as much as possible, and the results would be fairly crude. But there's enough information to make some rough black and white and color movies with one segment per target, and eventually combine them all into one movie.

The main task is getting the images properly centered, since the cameras don't point right at the target - there are still some jitters at the moment, so it needs some more stabilization. But in any case, here are some slightly bumpy rides along with Voyager - these are from versions 0.3-0.34 -

Ariel (Uranus)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeGgH34v8R4

Uranus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLGadmvc40

Neptune
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlU2_NOgoew

Assembling a color movie is a matter of combining the images that seem to go together (since it's not explicit in the data) - this is a first attempt at that. There are frames that lack certain channels, so colors are pretty off at points - later it could borrow a nearby image when a channel is missing.

Neptune, colorized
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8O2BKqM0Qc

The goal is to generate the movies with as little manual annotation as possible - there are parts that need it though, like handling images with multiple targets, slowing down the movie at certain points, and turning off the centering at closest approach.

Anyway, just wanted to share what I've got so far - hopefully one day it will be able to make a nice, stable movie of all the flybys, with some appropriate music. Once the code is a little more stable I'll post the project on GitHub - it's written in Python with OpenCV, SciPy, and IMG2PNG.

-Brian
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Brian Burns
post Jul 23 2016, 08:34 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7991

Here are some color Uranus movies - eventually I'd like to merge the narrow and wide angle images to make a more complete movie - the wide angle version has some nice shots of the moons in orbit and the rings. These are version 0.36 - they need more stabilization and filling in of missing color channels.

Uranus narrow angle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DReYpMJ98G0

Uranus wide angle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bnvzx7xNNrI

This time YouTube posted the wide angle movie in HD, so you can see the moons a little more clearly. smile.gif

---

So far I've only looked at Voyager 1 at Jupiter, and Voyager 2 at Neptune and Uranus. The Jupiter flyby has some nice movies of the moons that will need some work, especially manually aligning the color closeups, e.g. of Ganymede - right now it just slows down at closest approach and shows all the images in b&w.

Edit: Not sure about merging the narrow and wide angle movies - it would sort of work for Uranus because it's so featureless, but not any other target.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Brian Burns   Assembling Voyager movies   Jul 19 2016, 02:35 AM
- - Explorer1   Great work Brian, and welcome to the board! I...   Jul 19 2016, 03:31 AM
|- - Brian Burns   Thank you! Yes, I love how Uranus is tilted li...   Jul 19 2016, 08:14 PM
- - Astroboy   I love Voyager movies! People complain about t...   Jul 19 2016, 09:01 PM
|- - Brian Burns   Yeah, some of the mosaics I've seen on this si...   Jul 20 2016, 01:53 AM
|- - Astroboy   QUOTE (Brian Burns @ Jul 20 2016, 01:53 A...   Jul 28 2016, 02:32 AM
|- - Brian Burns   QUOTE Another thing that I think would be really c...   Jul 28 2016, 05:42 AM
- - Brian Burns   Here are some color Uranus movies - eventually I...   Jul 23 2016, 08:34 PM
- - Ian R   This is *right* in my wheelhouse, as I've been...   Jul 30 2016, 02:48 AM
|- - Brian Burns   These are great - I had come across some of yours ...   Jul 30 2016, 05:15 AM
- - Brian Burns   I've got the centering and stabilization worki...   Aug 8 2016, 03:31 PM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   QUOTE (Brian Burns @ Aug 8 2016, 03:31 PM...   Aug 17 2016, 01:40 PM
|- - Brian Burns   QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 17 2016, 08:40...   Aug 17 2016, 04:46 PM
- - Brian Burns   Here is a rough draft for the Voyager 1 at Jupiter...   Aug 15 2016, 07:44 PM
- - Brian Burns   I managed to get the color channels lining up prop...   Aug 18 2016, 06:41 PM
- - Astroboy   Do properly calibrated Voyager images have a corre...   Aug 18 2016, 08:38 PM
|- - Brian Burns   I've just been constrast stretching every imag...   Aug 18 2016, 10:02 PM
|- - Bjorn Jonsson   You'll always need fudge factors and color cha...   Aug 18 2016, 11:45 PM
|- - Brian Burns   QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 18 2016, 06:45...   Aug 19 2016, 02:55 PM
- - JohnVV   no kidding about Io my map is a bit too white the...   Aug 19 2016, 08:45 PM
- - Brian Burns   Here is a kind of preview of what Juno might see -...   Aug 23 2016, 07:36 PM
- - Brian Burns   Just an update - I've been switching things ov...   Sep 29 2016, 05:38 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:41 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.