Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Voyager mosaics and images of Jupiter, A fresh look at some ancient stuff
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 20 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #1

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Thanks to modern computers and software the old, 'official' Voyager Jupiter images can be reprocessed into something much better. There is also a lot of Voyager data there that was never processed into color composites and/or mosaics (or at least it has not appeared on the WWW). With proper processing the apparent image quality approaches the quality of the Cassini images but needless to say the wavelength coverage is (vastly) inferior.

I have recently been taking a close look at the high resolution Voyager 1 images, i.e. the images obtained in early March 1979. This is going to result in some new and/or reprocessed mosaics. The first one is now complete and I'm working on another one.

The image below is a 12 image mosaic (12 orange + 12 violet + 12 synthetic green images). The images were obtained on March 2, 1979 at a range of 4.3 million km. The first image (C1629045.IMQ) was obtained at 05:09:23 and the last one (C1629131.IMQ) at 05:46:11. The resolution is roughly 43 km/pixel.

Attached Image

The raw images were calibrated, reprojected to simple cylindrical projection, mosaicked and then rendered using a typical viewing geometry (there is no such thing as a "correct viewing geometry" because the images were obtained over a 37 minute period with Jupiter rotating). I then fixed the color balance. I still haven't 'standardized' how I process the Voyager color. I wasn't completely satisfied with the color I got using an approach similar to what's described in another thread but I think the color could be improved a bit. The final step was to sharpen the resulting image a bit, mainly to compensate for all of the resampling that the previous processing steps required.

This image shows lots of features: The Great Red Spot and one of the three white ovals present during the Voyager flybys, smaller spots, scallopped belt/zone boundaries, gravity waves, a bright equatorial plume and the dusky south polar region.

I don't think I'm bragging by saying that this is probably the best Voyager 1 Jupiter mosaic that I know of, mainly because of its size (12 images).

I will be posting more Jupiter stuff in this thread in the coming days/weeks, both mosaics and interesting images (and needless to say, others are welcome to post images and mosaics as well).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
18 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
Drkskywxlt
post Aug 20 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1083

Fantastic pic! Did you use ISIS? If so, what were your processing steps?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 20 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 20 2010, 07:47 PM) *
I don't think I'm bragging by saying that this is probably the best Voyager 1 Jupiter mosaic that I know of, mainly because of its size (12 images).

You have every right to brag as this is the best Voyager Jupiter product I've seen. The resolution and image quality reminds of New Horizons LORRI images and yet the colors remind of Cassini. With the filter set you had to work with, I think the color looks great.

Jealous mode = ON

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Aug 20 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1067

Wow! That's stunning!

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Aug 20 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 114

This is wonderful stuff!

Its so nice to see these images processed with today's technology.

The Images from the 70s and 80s where always over saturated.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 20 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #6

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Awesome. Voyager images are quite good once you remove the gunk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Aug 20 2010, 11:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1241

Bjorn,

S T U N N I N G

thank you!

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 21 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 4057

Fantastic result Bjorn! I think, that it's biggest published mosaic of Jupiter.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 21 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 162

You're throwing meat in the tiger cage.

We want MORE!

wink.gif

If you're looking for ideas for more work; were there any mosaics shot on the departure side from either Voyager? A big enhanced crescent/dark side shot might be pretty dramatic.

+Quote Post
antipode
post Aug 21 2010, 11:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1206

Golly. I spent a good 15 minutes just wandering around the infinite complexities of that image.

Are we seeing cloud shadows new the top of the image?

P

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 21 2010, 11:48 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1345

Really nice job! This is beautiful!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 22 2010, 12:24 AM
Post #12

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Absolutely hypnotic. I've looked at it several times over the past two days, and Antipode's right: you see new things each time. Phenomenal, Bjorn.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 22 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #13

Taking Bjorn's awesome image above as "reference", I created a blink animation that compares it to a Galileo image of the Great Red Spot almost 20 years later.

The Galileo image had used a synthetic green channel, so I adjusted the colors to match closest to Bjorn's image. I also took some liberties with warping and resizing the Galileo image to match Bjorn's image. I wanted to highlight structural, not color or size differences.

Attached Image

[Animated GIF: click to animate]

In the Galileo 1996 image, the clear zone to the S of the GRS is much thinner. The S belt also seems less affected by the GRS. Interestingly, the thin red band to the SE (standing wave?) is present in both images. There is also much more chaos in the region to the NE. In the Voyager 1 image, the NE section shows a smoother transition between zones.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Aug 25 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #14

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Aug 20 2010, 05:50 PM) *
Fantastic pic! Did you use ISIS? If so, what were your processing steps?

I didn't use ISIS. Voyager calibration isn't available yet in ISIS 3 and ISIS 2 doesn't work properly on my computer. I think I now know why but I didn't when I made the mosaic.

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Aug 20 2010, 10:08 PM) *
Awesome. Voyager images are quite good once you remove the gunk.

Yes, that's my experience as well. The problem is that this wasn't done carefully enough ~30 years ago so those old, 'official' color composites and mosaics really need to be reprocessed.

QUOTE (antipode @ Aug 21 2010, 11:10 PM) *
Are we seeing cloud shadows new the top of the image?

I don't think so. You need higher resolution and/or lower solar elevation angles (mainly the former) for cloud shadows/vertical relief to become apparent. Vertical relief (if one can speak of that in the context of gaseous planets) is visible in higher resolution images but it is usually not obvious unless the images are sharpened. Incidentally, the Voyager images are better than the Galileo images if you are interested in cloud shadows and vertical relief. The highest reolution Voyager images are of higher resolution than the Galileo images. In addition, compression artifacts can be an issue if you want to examine small scale features in the Galileo images.

Actually I now think (after taking a careful look at lots of Voyager images) that the Voyager dataset still is in some ways better than the Galileo dataset. While the Galileo images are more carefully targeted and the wavelength coverage is far better (near infrared filters) the Voyager images have no compression artifacts, there is a significant amount of images of higher resolution than anything Galileo obtained and the Voyager images are a better data source for atmospheric movies. So if you are interested in very small scale details in the Jovian atmosphere the Voyager 1 images are what you want.

I'm currently working on another 12 image mosaic that should be finished soon, possibly this week.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 27 2010, 12:53 AM
Post #15

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Aug 25 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Yes, that's my experience as well. The problem is that this wasn't done carefully enough ~30 years ago so those old, 'official' color composites and mosaics really need to be reprocessed.

Even when they did go through the proper steps, doing all the steps with the 8 bit data rather than converting to 16 bit, something beyond the capability of the vax computers they were using, really degraded the images.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Aug 29 2010, 09:06 AM
Post #16

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Member No.: 437

Bjorn, I neglected to congratulate you on an absolutely staggering mosaic -- this is a sure-fire contender for APOD, if ever I saw one!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 1 2010, 10:21 PM
Post #17

IMG to PNG GOD

A new, big mosaic of Voyager 1 images, this time showing the Great Red Spot at high resolution. The first version has normal brightness and contrast and its overall color should be fairly accurate. Small scale features have been sharpened a bit. In the second one the contrast and sharpness have been greatly exaggerated:

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is a 4x3 mosaic of images. The processing is almost identical to the processing described in the first message of this thread so I'm not decribing it further here. One caveat though: There is probably some slight geometric distortion but it shouldn't be a problem in this case.

The images I used were obtained on March 4,1979 at a distance of about 1.85 million km. The first image (C1635314.IMQ) was obtained at 07:08:36 and the last one (C1635400.IMQ) at 07:45:24. The resolution is roughly 18 km/pixel.

Mosaics of some of these images have appeared before as 'official' image releases but interestingly, only 3x2 images were used in all cases. The offical mosaic can be seen at http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00022 . There is a false color version (lots of blue color) that is better known: http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/...t-103317-sw.jpg

My new mosaic reveals an enormous amount of details, especially in the sharpened version. Some of these details I didn't know were visible in any images of Jupiter until relatively recently. The sunlight is coming form the east (right) and because the GRS is in the southern hemisphere it's really coming roughly from the ENE over the GRS and the regions south of it. With this in mind, vertical relief and cloud shadows are clearly visible at many locations around the GRS' periphery. A particularly good example can be seen near (2350,1600) and to the northeast of this location. There is another example near (2480,1080). The wind speeds are especially high there as the elongated appearance of these clouds may suggest. More examples can be seen near (600,980) and (370,920) and (540,1600) and possibly (925,550). These clouds have changed the appearance I imagine Jupiter would have from low altitude (1000 km or something like that). There are also some interesting clouds at (2270,605) and further east.

This is the highest resolution color mosaic completely covering the GRS that I have ever seen. Galileo didn't obtain GRS mosaics at this resolution and Cassini passed too far away from Jupiter. This image looks sufficiently different (and better!) from the old, official versions that in a way I feel like I'm processing stuff from a new planetary encounter when I see this. We will probably not be seeing anything comparable to this until EJSM (or some future spacecraft) starts orbiting Jupiter. Hopefully it will be carrying a camera capable of obtaining even higher resolution images than this from the distances it typically images Jupiter at high resolution.

Interestingly, the orange and violet images I used here were followed by a green filtered GRS mosaic ~40 minutes later. However, I couldn't used these instead of synthetic green because some of the clouds (especially in the GRS' northeast periphery) move so fast that the three color channels couldn't be properly aligned if I used the green images.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 1 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #18

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Wow.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 1 2010, 11:06 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 197

Oh my.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Sep 1 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 4270

Goodness O_o.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 2 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

ohmy.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 2 2010, 12:37 AM
Post #22

Whoa! The detail in that is A M A Z I N G ! ! !

Beautiful!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 2 2010, 05:20 AM
Post #23

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

That's outrageously brilliant, Bjorn. That image deserves to be in astronomy textbooks for years to come.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Sep 2 2010, 05:28 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 5221

Holy.... holy!

And I thought the Jupiter mosaic from Cassini post-flyby was good! (I cut it out of a calendar and hung it on my wall)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 3 2010, 11:48 AM
Post #25

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Brilliant work!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Sep 3 2010, 01:51 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 103

One gets the impression of a "wall of clouds" to the west of the GRS - it appears almost like one is looking down several hundred miles through an upper cloud deck and that the GRS is far below. This may entirely be an optical illusion, but with my screen completely filled with the image, it's hard for me not to see it that way!

Congratulations!

Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Sep 3 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 655

To echo comments above, this is astonishingly good. bravo Bjorn!!

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Sep 3 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 3511

Beautiful quality of detail. Congratulations!
My wife teaches 5th Grade and echoes Stu's textbook idea!

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 4 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #29

Good gravy! I now officially have Jupiter-envy... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 4 2010, 04:22 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 1828

beauty! would you call this close to natural color now?

the voyager cameras were quite good for the time and Ive gotten lots of mileage out of the images. the big difference was the lack of infrared capability, which allows you to look deeper into the atmosphere and see thermal updrafts and hot lavas (on io that is).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 5 2010, 11:01 PM
Post #31

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (DrShank @ Sep 4 2010, 04:22 PM) *
beauty! would you call this close to natural color now?

The upper one should be fairly close to natural color but this is subjective. It might be a bit too reddish but I'm not sure. After some channel mixing I processed it to make the oval SSE of the GRS roughly white.

A few notes on the mosaics and on images I have noticed in the Voyager dataset:

(1) As should be obvious I have been looking at lots of high-res Voyager images of Jupiter recently. When doing this I have come across several images that show interesting features that I had not noticed before. An example (processed to increase contrast and sharpness):

Attached Image

And a wide angle context image shuttered at the same time:
Attached Image

The features near the top of the image are interesting. These images where obtained on March 4, 1979 at a range of 1.3 million km from Jupiter's center.

Another example (processed to increase contrast and sharpness):

Attached Image

And a context image:
Attached Image

The features (clouds?) at upper right in the narrow angle image look somewhat weird. They are located near (435,375) in the context image. The images were obtained on March 5, 1979 at a range of 630,000 km from Jupiter's center.

(2) I noticed an interesting comment in several images in a brown barge imaging sequence. For example in image C1635958.IMQ:

"ATMOS DYNAMICS 3X2 NA GR MOSAIC OF BARGE, STEREOSCOPIC WITH 16359.50 - 60.07"

This seems to have been an attempt to image Jupiter in stereo - I don't think I'm misunderstanding anything here. However, I don't think imaging Jupiter in stereo using a single spacecraft would work due to cloud motions. Two spacecraft are a different story so here's today's crazy idea: Imaging parts of Jupiter in stereo if both NASA and ESA send spacecraft there simultaneously. I'm not sure it would work though - it requires high resolution and I'm not sure ESA's JGO spacecraft is going to be capable of that due to its distance from Jupiter and maybe due to its camera as well.

(3) I haven't been able to confirm that it is indeed vertical relief and/or shadows that is visble in my mosaic. I've been looking for scientific papers and I haven't found any but I haven't searched very carefully. I also did some simple 3D test renders to see which cloud thickness and altitude might reproduce the appearance of the clouds in the mosaic but the results are inconclusive. Still this looks a lot like vertical relief and it should be noted that cloud shadows are visible in high-phase Voyager images of Jupiter. It would be interesting if someone here knew something about this topic. Also see the cloud shadow thread which has a hi-res image showing what might be shadows or vertical relief.

(4) I'm in the early stages of starting work on yet another mosaic and it's going to be a bit different from the ones I have posted here because OGV is available, not just OV. Actually there is a huge amount of Voyager stuff I'd like to process but this takes a lot of time if high quality results are desired. In particular, the lack of accurate camera pointing angles is a constant source of frustration and requires me to reverse engineer this information for every image. Fortunately, the spacecraft location is available and that data seems accurate - without it this would be even more time consuming.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 6 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #32

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Sep 6 2010, 12:01 AM) *
In particular, the lack of accurate camera pointing angles is a constant source of frustration and requires me to reverse engineer this information for every image. Fortunately, the spacecraft location is available and that data seems accurate - without it this would be even more time consuming.

So true. When I was at the New Horizons team meeting in December, I was asked if I used the camera pointing information for my work. I had to be honest - only in situations where I could not ascertain the pointing by studying the image. When it could be done, determining the pointing from the image was significantly more accurate (though much more time consuming).

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 10 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #33

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Sep 5 2010, 07:48 PM) *
So true. When I was at the New Horizons team meeting in December, I was asked if I used the camera pointing information for my work. I had to be honest - only in situations where I could not ascertain the pointing by studying the image. When it could be done, determining the pointing from the image was significantly more accurate (though much more time consuming).

blink.gif

i spend far more time accurately controlling all the images than i do anything else!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 11 2010, 01:04 AM
Post #34

I found the pointing information for the Neptune images to be limited.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 11 2010, 01:10 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Sep 10 2010, 07:04 PM) *
I found the pointing information for the Neptune images to be limited.

yeah, all the published data are predicts based on the original pointing commands. Ive had to update all the pointing
vectors iteratively for all the satellites to get the images to properly mosaic. but then, thats my job!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 11 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #36

OK, so you do have to correct the data somewhat. That makes sense.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 11 2010, 03:08 AM
Post #37

Administrator

QUOTE (DrShank @ Sep 10 2010, 06:10 PM) *
...thats my job...

Paul, I hope you realize how many people reading this forum wish "iteratively updating Voyager 2 spacecraft pointing vectors" was a part of their job description smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Sep 11 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 23

Substitute Cassini for Voyager 2, and that's half my job...

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 11 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #39

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Perhaps the most important question here is, will those corrected numbers get into the public record somewhere?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 12 2010, 06:59 AM
Post #40

all my work, especially the stereo stuff requires precise pointing, so every cassini release is spent 2 weeks or more calibrating and geometrically registering and revising the pointing vectors for all the new satellite images (altho the past year has been rather a dry spell!). what fun. but then i get to make mosaics like these.
release of the pointing info is a bit more complicated. my Galileo pointing is now public in the form of the Atlas, at least in labeled image map format. beyond that Im not sure yet . . .
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 13 2010, 12:15 AM
Post #41

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (DrShank @ Sep 12 2010, 06:59 AM) *
my Galileo pointing is now public in the form of the Atlas, at least in labeled image map format.

This is great, I have always found the lack of accurate pointing info a bit strange. It means that everyone working on images with inaccuarate (or missing) pointing info must either obtain it from someone else or spend lots of time determining the correct pointing. So I suspect the same thing sometimes gets done by more than one person/team when it seems a lot of work could be saved by doing it only once.

Even the spacecraft position can be a source of problems. Today I wanted Voyager 1's position in late January 1979 but my software responded with a SPICE error so I tried the Jupiter Viewer at the PDS Rings Node but got similar results. I suspect that SPICE kernels containing Voyager 1's position aren't available for dates before 6 February but I need to check this more thorougly. I'm working on a Voyager 1 atmospheric movie by the way.

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 13 2010, 09:08 AM
Post #42

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Sep 13 2010, 01:15 AM) *
I'm working on a Voyager 1 atmospheric movie by the way.

I'm also fiddling with some of the Voyager 1 movie data, Bjorn -- it goes without saying that I'm sure your work will be superior to mine, but here's what I've done so far, in any case:

Jupiter Voyager 1 Approach Movie - Green Filter Only:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jBir5hix6g

Jupiter Voyager 1 Approach Movie - Color / Rotated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZrJ0D8IfB8

Jupiter Voyager 1 Atmospheric Features Movie - Color:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMc5PTChwE

I really am a glutton for punishment - at various points during this process, I have resisted the urge to put my fist through the monitor, and throw the tower out of the window! rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 13 2010, 09:41 AM
Post #43

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (Ian R @ Sep 13 2010, 09:08 AM) *
it goes without saying that I'm sure your work will be superior to mine

Only time will tell - at the moment my 'movie' consists of exactly one image...

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 13 2010, 02:15 PM
Post #44

Paul, I'm really glad to hear you are doing this. To clarify my earlier comment, I was talking about desmearing images and aligning images for stacking purposes. As it stands, the current pointing data that is publicly available isn't adequate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Sep 13 2010, 03:05 PM
Post #45

Ted,
typically, one or two active team members (Cassini is an example) do their own pointing updates as well, sometimes on an as need basis, but sometimes also for cartography. That is how the satellite maps they published are done. I do not know if they do all images or only those that are required for the global maps. I do just about everything because i do a lot of stereo and mapping work (I have a late DPS abstract in on this topic) and require a lot of images. I cant wait for any team releases (i dont know if a mechanism even exists for that) so I do my own! There are a few others out there who do it on as need basis but I may be the only non-team-member doing the whole bunch of it.
cheers
paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 13 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #46

How do you reconstruct it then? The only way I have found is, like I said, clues within the image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 13 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #47

These versions are only 'early drafts', mind you - the final movie should (hopefully) consist of stills that look similar to these:

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Sep 13 2010, 05:46 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 523

Nice, both the images and the videos. I can appreciate how labor intensive a video with that many frames can be, you had to have a *lot* of will power to do that I imagine.

Do you use calibrated or raw data?

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Sep 13 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #49

IanR:
Wonderfull job! It looks very promisingly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 14 2010, 12:01 AM
Post #50

IMG to PNG GOD

My movie now consists of exactly two frames that look like this:

Attached Image
Attached Image

This is an approach movie that has the GRS at a 'constant' location and starts in early January 1979. This looks fairly promising but I don't think I'll finish the movie this year - it's going to be (probably) almost 100 frames. The two frames above really require more careful processing but time is not unlimited so I don't know how much time I'm going to spend processing each frame. As usual the lack of accurate pointing greatly increases the amount of work per frame - in this case probably by a factor of 5 at least.

Jupiter's size will stay constant throughout the movie. This is accomplished by reprojecting the images to simple cylindrical projection and then rendering the resulting maps.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 14 2010, 01:56 AM
Post #51

Administrator

Can't wait for the other 98 frames biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 27 2010, 02:13 PM
Post #52

The Poet Dude

Woah... BA's picked up on your GRS image! Great stuff, Bjorn! smile.gif

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastro...ize/#more-20537

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Sep 28 2010, 12:59 AM
Post #53

IMG to PNG GOD

Here is a preliminary version of a Voyager 1 movie showing the rotation of the Great Red Spot and a lot of other interesting cloud motions. It consists of 16 frames but the final version is going to consist of 66 frames (or something close to 66).

Attached File  jup_vgr1_sharp.avi ( 198.5K ) Number of downloads: 1955

This should be the most interesting part of the movie because this really is what will be the end of the final version so this part is of somewhat higher resolution than the start of the imaging sequence I'm using for the movie.

This movie is different from similar Voyager movies because I'm keeping Jupiter's size constant. This is accomplished by reprojecting the source images to simple cylindrical projection and then rendering everything using the same viewing geometry. I also sharpened the images a bit to better reveal various details.

One possible problem is that for some features there are slight changes in latitude from frame to frame. This is especially obvious in the polar regions. I suspect this is not a real feature but a consequnce of small errors in the camera angles I had to reverse engineer for all of the source images. Another problem is that I also had to reverse engineer the spacecraft position because the available SPICE kernels only contain Voyager 1's position from 6 February 1979 and onward and these images were obtained in January.

The source images where obtained on every Jovian rotation on January 23 to 29, 1979. During that interval Voayger 1's distance from Jupiter dropped from 42 to 36 million km. The images were obtained through orange, green and blue filters. Satellite and shadow transits have been removed using Photoshop.

Note: If playing the animation does not work the reason is probably that you don't have an H.264 codec installed. For the animation to work you need to have an H.264 codec installed (if you are using Windows you can find one here for example).

As a sample, here is a typical frame from the movie:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 28 2010, 02:11 AM
Post #54

Merciless Robot

Utterly. Beautiful. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 28 2010, 09:47 AM
Post #55

Wow, that is truly amazing! I forgot just how much the clouds churn as Jupiter rotates..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 29 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #56

Fantastic work, Bjorn! cool.gif

As someone who has also dabbled with these images of late, I can appreciate the level of care you have taken assembling this sequence. For comparison, see a much more rudimentary version of the same movie that I put together a couple of months ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVMc5PTChwE

Voyager 1 actually took five sets of these 10-hour movies; each offset from another by 72 degrees of longitude.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 29 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #57

Administrator

Now the red spot mosaic has been reposted on wired.com's GeekDad blog, one of my fave non-space blogs!

--------------------

+Quote Post
brellis
post Sep 29 2010, 03:29 AM
Post #58

Member No.: 1700

Every 1,000 times I see or read something amazing here, I feel compelled to say 'hooray'! Thanks so much

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 30 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #59

Here's another GRS-centred time-lapse movie of Jupiter -- this time taken by Voyager 2:

http://www.footagevault.com/clip/FTV-0001380/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Sep 30 2010, 04:24 PM
Post #60

This is a contemporary-produced version of the movie that Bjorn's working on — notice the massive difference in quality, thanks to modern processing techniques and software (not to mention Bjorn's knack of eking out every smidgen of detail from this recalcitrant dataset):

http://www.footagevault.com/clip/FTV-0001415

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 4 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #61

GRS from Voyager 1.
Resampled at 5 km/pix, original resolution around 5.5 km/pix.
Color from wide angle images (violet, green and orange filters).
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 4 2010, 05:23 AM
Post #62

Member No.: 615

OMG! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 4 2010, 05:36 AM
Post #63

The Poet Dude

No, sorry, I don't believe it. You've given yourself away this time.

Clearly you have a TARDIS, allowing you to travel back in time and photograph the GRS out the TARDIS door using a state of the art 21st century camera... laugh.gif

Seriously, that's a stunning image, well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 4 2010, 02:05 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 197

Holy smokes. Maybe it's just my mind interpreting color shading as shadows. But that now really has the appearance of a vortex cutting deep into the upper cloud layers.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Oct 4 2010, 04:33 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 4270

Wow. Nice!
That's very impressive!

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 4 2010, 04:51 PM
Post #66

Stu:
I think, that even with TARDIS, I would be cooked by radiation smile.gif .

Dan:
If I remember correctly, then darker areas are widely recognized as deeper atmospheric layers (in some cases, it can be actually seen).
And I think that darker areas near small clouds are really their shadows.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 4 2010, 08:30 PM
Post #67

Hot Diggity Dog! That's marvellous Daniel... another APOD-worthy effort! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Oct 4 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #68

QUOTE (ugordan @ Sep 13 2010, 06:46 PM) *
Nice, both the images and the videos. I can appreciate how labor intensive a video with that many frames can be, you had to have a *lot* of will power to do that I imagine.

Do you use calibrated or raw data?

Gordan,

I'm pretty capricious when it comes to projects like these, so I tend to start working on them purely on a whim, and then before I know it, I feel obliged to follow them through to their conclusion. Unfortunately, I'm using the raw data, which has proved to be troublesome, due to the geometric distortions that are present in the frames.

I originally started with the Green filter movie only. Then I figured out how to semi-automatically create colour frames using the Python macro/scripting feature in Paint Shop Pro. It works very well, and means that I can essentially create a fairly-well aligned colour frame with only a few clicks of a mouse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XjW0vZZZXw

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 6 2010, 03:58 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 5458

I took the image and did my own processing on it; great work by the way Daniel. I was able to bring about a bit more depth and I would certainly have to agree that this image definitely makes the case for the GRS being deeper than I had ever imagined. The first image shows my processing and makes it clear the depth of the cloud layers. Most interesting is the white swooping layer at the far left of the image; it appears to even cast a shadow on a large portion of the GRS.

Am I just seeing things or is this really a many hundreds of miles in difference from that top layer to the ones next to it?

(admin note - it's best not to put images straight into a thread like that - we've changed them to links.)
-I apologize for the error. I hadn't meant for them to be fullsize thumbs.

Edit: I hadn't ever posted this one either. This is probably bordering on false-color but it shows greater depth to the GRS area from Bjorn's image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Oct 6 2010, 05:55 AM
Post #70

Member No.: 615

ZLD, my take is that your 'shadow' is in fact the variance in brightness between several images that Machi has stitched together and not an effect produced by higher cloud layers as suggested by your red lines. I'm sure that Machi could confirm this. Also, I'd suggest that the light is coming from the 'right' of this image (of course by 'right', I mean a few hundred million miles/kilometres away). wink.gif

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 6 2010, 07:37 AM
Post #71

ZLD, Astro0:

Yes, "shadow" is variance in brightness between images. Voyager took two complementary sets of images with green and violet filters.
I used green filter images for high resolution mosaic and violet images for filling remaining gaps. But violet images are really different from
green images, so this variance can be seen. You can actually see depths of layers in some cases, but this isn't one of them.
I'll try post some example.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 6 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #72

It's possible use both green and violet images for high resolution color mosaic of GRS, but at the cost of limited coverage.
I create this image as demonstration, how good this can be (and how excellent is quality of 70's Voyager images).
Color is created from green, violet and synthetic images. Resolution is original (~5.5 km/pix). Contrast is exaggerated.
Interesting feature is something, what looks as entrance of horizontal tromb (horizontal funnel) in the left image.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Oct 6 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #73

That is quite impressive. Can you send me a link to the raw data you are using to output these images? I've looked several times in the past and come up empty handed. I'm somewhat new to processing space imagery but somewhat experienced in processing photos in other areas. Any tips and sources for photos, especially those from the voyager missions I'm interested in.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 6 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #74

Administrator

My favorite search tool for Voyager and other outer planets images is now OPUS at the Rings Node, but the Atlas at the Imaging Node is also good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Oct 7 2010, 09:48 AM
Post #75

ZLD:

I have almost all image data from Voyager downloaded on CD's, which was perhaps my first activity, when I started with internet smile.gif .
You can download (almost) all data from here:
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/resources/onlineData.html

These images aren't calibrated and geometrically corrected.
Some data are in calibration process and calibrated data are available from here:
http://pds-rings.seti.org/voyager/iss/calib_images.html

You can open original images (*.imq) with Voyager Image Viewer (which has browse capability), Nasaview or img2png.
Calibrated data are more difficult to opening. You can open them as raw data.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 8 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #76

Here's a frame from the Voyager 1 approach movie that I'm (still) working on:

Attached Image

Io can be seen entering eclipse on the left.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 9 2010, 12:45 PM
Post #77

Bjorn,

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to have a go at running your Voyager 1 movie through a frame rate conversion filter: the result is pretty darn good, I'm sure you'll agree!

http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/misc/jup...1_sharp_MSU.avi
Reason for edit: Switched "megaupload" link for Amazon S3 link

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 9 2010, 05:26 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 150

Ian, could you upload a slightly compressed version directly in the forum? To me, access to megaupload site appear too complicated and boring... Thanks!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 9 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #79

Administrator

Here you go, I've hosted Ian's tweened version of Bjorn's 16-frame Voyager 1's Jupiter approach animation on our server. It looks pretty awesome.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 9 2010, 08:45 PM
Post #80

Wow!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 9 2010, 08:57 PM
Post #81

IMG to PNG GOD

QUOTE (Ian R @ Nov 9 2010, 12:45 PM) *
Bjorn,

I hope you don't mind, but I decided to have a go at running your Voyager 1 movie through a frame rate conversion filter: the result is pretty darn good, I'm sure you'll agree!

http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/misc/jup...1_sharp_MSU.avi

Wow!!

Actually I was going to try doing something similar after seeing how machi processed his Hartley and Neptune animations using morphing but now it has been done for me smile.gif. It will be interesting to see a version of the animation similar to this one once I'm finished with all 66 frames of the animation (hardly going to happen this year - I'm working on something else). What software did you use?

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 9 2010, 09:58 PM
Post #82

Fantastic!
Jupiter looks like if he's alive.

I have same question as Bjorn.
"What software did you use?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 10 2010, 02:28 PM
Post #83

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 9 2010, 06:28 PM) *
Here you go, I've hosted Ian's tweened version of Bjorn's 16-frame Voyager 1's Jupiter approach animation on our server. It looks pretty awesome.

Thanks Emily, it is really! Nice work, Ian/Bjorn. What about real frame rate / timespan of this movie? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 10 2010, 05:15 PM
Post #84

Administrator

Well, since Bjorn started with 16 images with the red spot held still, I assumed that meant one image per Jupiter day. Ian's animation is 16 seconds long. So it's running at 1 Jupiter day per second, or 10 Earth hours per second.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 10 2010, 08:07 PM
Post #85

Thanks Emily! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 11 2010, 07:14 AM
Post #86

Morning all! cool.gif

I used the MSU Frame Rate Conversion Filter to 'tween' Bjorn's movie:

http://compression.ru/video/frame_rate_con...dex_en_msu.html

(BTW, thanks for introducing that term to me, Emily - I'd never encountered it until now.)

After installing AviSynth, I put together the following script, making use of the MSU filter:

CODE
DirectShowSource("jup_vgr1_sharp.avi")
Crop(0, 32, 0, -32)
ConvertToYV12().MSU_FRC(16, "slow")
ConvertToRGB24()

I then opened this script (basically just a notepad file with an 'avs' extension) in VirtualDub. All I did then was to change the frame rate from 128 fps to 20 fps.

Saving the movie as an Xvid AVI completed the process.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Nov 19 2010, 04:13 AM
Post #87

Here's a couple of 'fixed longitude' sequences, which I've culled from the 1100+ frame Voyager 1 approach movie, and 'tweened' using the method described in the previous post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdIfnymd9Aw&fmt=22

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 20 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #88

Wonderfull animation Ian!

Finally I finished one of my Jupiter projects.
Animation from 9+1(synthetic) images (c1637840 - c1637928). Date 5.3.1979, time 3:28:36 - 4:07:00 UTC (timewarp 30×). Images are rotated by 90°.
jup_vg1_dam_004.avi

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 23 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #89

IMG to PNG GOD

I have just finished a completely new mosaic of the Great Red Spot (GRS), this time based on Voyager 2 images. First an enhanced, sharpened version and then a version that should have approximately natural color and contrast:

Attached Image

Attached Image

This is a 5x3 mosaic of images obtained on July 8, 1979 when Voyager 2 was ~1.45 million km from Jupiter. The resolution of the original images is ~14 km/pixel. The resolution of this mosaic is similar. This is a slightly higher resolution than in the Voyager 1 GRS mosaic I posted earlier in this thread. Each of the 15 frames making up the mosaic is a color composite from orange, green and violet images. This results in more accurate color than in my earlier Voyager 1 GRS mosaic because in that case I had no green images I could use. Thanks to this the color variations in this mosaic seem more interesting.

As far as I know this is completely new stuff. Very few and possibly none of the images I used have appeared earlier in official image releases, at least not in color. There is a fairly well known Voyager 2 mosaic of the GRS but that one is composed from images obtained three Jovian rotations earlier at a range of 2.6 million km (see http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA00065 ). Thanks to modern computers and software the quality of this new mosaic is higher.

As usual the mosaic was created by reprojecting the source data to simple cylindrical projection and then rendering the resulting map using a 'typical' viewing geometry (there is no single correct geometry because the source images were obtained over a period of ~70 minutes).

Thanks among other things to improvements I've made to some of the processing steps required to create these mosaics the geometric accuracy of this mosaic is higher than for the earlier Voyager 1 mosaic.

This new mosaic contains lots of interesting stuff, including small scale details and interesting color variations. Cloud shadows are visible, in particular at (3040,2040) and nearby. The color variations seem more interesting here than in the Voyager 1 mosaic, probably because the color is more accurate. There is an interesting brownish/orange 'band' near (1180,615) for example. Also the color changes from brownish to whitish near (900,1300) without any obvious changes to the 'texture' of the image (the wind is northnortheasterly at this location). I could name at least 10 additional features that look interesting to me and where I wish I knew what was happening.

The Voyager 1 images of Jupiter (and not the least the GRS) are probably better known than the Voyager 2 images, mainly because Voyager 1 arrived earlier. So yet again in a way I feel like I'm looking at images from a new Jupiter flyby. The GRS region looks more 'Galileo-like' to me in the Voyager 2 images than it does in the Voyager 1 images.

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Nov 23 2010, 11:14 PM
Post #90

No words...should have sent a poet...

That is a stunning mosaic. There really aren't words to describe the beauty and complexity. You could get lost in that image for days. Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
Jonathan

--------------------
Jonathan Ward

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 24 2010, 12:50 AM
Post #91

Merciless Robot

Stu surely would have volunteered! smile.gif

Stunning, Bjorn. Of all the Jupiter images I've seen, yours make it look most like a place, if you know what I mean.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 24 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #92

Simply amazing! wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif wheel.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Nov 24 2010, 04:17 AM
Post #93

I had to put this up on my 42" HDTV to begin to appreciate the magnitude of the detail in this image. The swirls and eddies north of (above) the GRS reminded me of fractals. One gets the impression that you could zoom into this picture and see the swirls turn into infinitely more swirls. BTW, the Jupiter movies in this thread look pretty darned good on a 42" HDTV, too!

--------------------
Jonathan Ward

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 24 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #94

The Poet Dude

Every time you post one of your images, Bjorn, it's like I'm seeing a picture taken during a whole new, top secret Jupiter mission. Thank you for taking us to Jupiter again. Just stunning.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Nov 24 2010, 07:56 AM
Post #95

Astounding Bjorn! I really love your work. I'd be really interested in hearing more about the process in creating these fantastic mosaics. I understand the basic jist of the layering techniques but to get everything lined up just right with the right shading must take forever.

I also ran your enhanced version through a couple filters to pull out a little more clarity.

I never cease to be amazed by the images that the Voyager probes produced. Far as I can tell, the only competition has been from Cassini which is disspointing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 24 2010, 08:21 AM
Post #96

Merciless Robot

To be fair, Galileo did very well considering the challenges that mission faced.

But, man...Bjorn just pulls every detail out of this data; he's a wizard. Those 'curdles' to the SE of the GRS fascinate me; hard to believe we're looking at a laminar flow the size of some worlds...

--------------------

+Quote Post
machi
post Nov 24 2010, 02:32 PM
Post #97

Excellent (as always)! ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 24 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #98

Wow....that is awesome! Nice work, Bjorn!!

The comma-like details of the cute littlw swirls in the northern margin are so stunningly crisp. I'd never noticed how the pattern doesn't match staight-line coloring.... Hinting that some of the color must be from a higher atmospheric layer..

Each tiny section of this is a masterpiece. I could stare at this for days....

Well done!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 24 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #99

The more I stare at this the more I see! (Like those "teeny"* little puffball clouds in the extreme NW corner)

*"teeny" = the size of a large metropolitan area on Earth.

Amazing! I want this as a tile floor or countertop!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 25 2010, 03:34 AM
Post #100

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 24 2010, 08:21 AM) *
To be fair, Galileo did very well considering the challenges that mission faced.

But, man...Bjorn just pulls every detail out of this data; he's a wizard. Those 'curdles' to the SE of the GRS fascinate me; hard to believe we're looking at a laminar flow the size of some worlds...

It really is sad. Having worked with a few tiny lossless/nearly lossless image fragments from that mission, its camera was spectacular. However, on most images, especially those of Jupiter itself, the JPEG-like artifacts are horrendous due to the compression that was necessary.

--------------------

+Quote Post

18 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 05:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.