Reply to this topicStart new topic
Venera-13, Venera-14 Lander Images, Images generated from raw digital telemetry
Bob Shaw
post May 12 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 239

Don:

You mentioned your book - can you tell us more about it, please? I'm sure it's one I *need* to buy!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 12 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #92

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I only now see this thread properly and - wow - I don't think I've ever seen the horizon on these Venera images (even though it's partly copied). Great job don!

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post May 12 2006, 04:21 PM
Post #93

Guests

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ May 12 2006, 06:44 AM) *
Don:

You mentioned your book - can you tell us more about it, please? I'm sure it's one I *need* to buy!

Bob Shaw

I decided to write a book instead of just updating my website about the Soviet Exploration of Venus. I have a lot more material, photos and interviews with scientists, etc. I won't make back the money I've spent, which wasn't the point anyway. A problem with websites is they are not acknowledged officially, never reviewed, discussed or cited in the literature. You can't inject your work into the arena of public discourse unless you write a book, made out of paper and ink. Just a weird fact even in our modern times.

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post May 12 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 424

Verba volant, scripta manent.

TTT

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post May 12 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #95

Member No.: 239

Don:

Well, your website is a classic and one I've regularly visited, so I'm sure the book will be good!

Where are you in terms of publishers etc?

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post May 12 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #96

Guests

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ May 12 2006, 10:52 AM) *
Don:

Well, your website is a classic and one I've regularly visited, so I'm sure the book will be good!

Where are you in terms of publishers etc?

Bob Shaw

I'm writing and doing full layout now, and will look for a publisher when I've a book in hand.

+Quote Post
Rem31
post May 12 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 720

Sometimes i read about lightning on Venus ,but what is the truth about that? Are there thunderstorms like we have here on Earth?

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post May 12 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #98

Guests

The question is still not completely resolved, but the evidence is mounting against Venusian lightning. The strongest item is that Cassini made a very sensitive check for radio bursts from lightning discharges during its second and last gravity-assist flyby of Venus and found nothing. And, from what we know of Venus' weather at this point, it seems unlikely that there are any strong storm-like phenomena in its cloud layers that could build up the sort of massive separation of electrical charge that is necessary to set up the conditions for a lightning bolt. (Its clouds seem to be quite rarified virtually everywhere.)

To repeat, though: the question isn't totally settled yet.

+Quote Post
J.J.
post May 26 2006, 04:38 PM
Post #99

Member No.: 722

Great pictures Don P., and great posts. Here's to hoping we see more great pictures from future missions!

--------------------
Mayor: Er, Master Betty, what is the Evil Council's plan?

Master Betty: Nyah. Haha. It is EVIL, it is so EVIL. It is a bad, bad plan, which will hurt many... people... who are good. I think it's great that it's so bad.

-Kung Pow: Enter the Fist

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post May 29 2006, 04:36 PM
Post #100

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ May 5 2006, 09:59 PM) *
Looks like his image was reconstructed from a set of Russian processed images. Not the raw data actually.

smile.gif I confirm the images were reconstructed from RAW Russian Venera data given to me a long while ago... smile.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post May 29 2006, 05:12 PM
Post #101

Guests

QUOTE (vikingmars @ May 29 2006, 09:36 AM) *
smile.gif I confirm the images were reconstructed from RAW Russian Venera data given to me a long while ago... smile.gif

Looks like your image was genetated from this data, given to Brown University by the Vernadsky Institute:

[attachment=5944:attachment]

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post May 30 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #102

QUOTE (DonPMitchell @ May 29 2006, 07:12 PM) *
Looks like your image was genetated from this data, given to Brown University by the Vernadsky Institute:

[attachment=5944:attachment]

smile.gif I can confirm to you that it is indeed RAW imaging data : please find herebelow, an example of the data I'm using to produce my final images (four of the V13 cam2 images for blue, green and red channels) smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JRehling
post May 30 2006, 02:32 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ May 12 2006, 09:34 AM) *
Verba volant, scripta manent.

TTT

Maybe more people would take a website seriously as a publication if it were in Latin...

+Quote Post
karolp
post May 30 2006, 03:53 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 744

And what is that ball-shaped object almost touching the lander that looks like it has been munched by a dog and is now glowing where it was bitten? Seriously, I would like a nice explanation as I have not seen any references to it. Is it some kind of volcanic ejecta? Or a boulder crashed upon landing? Anyone?

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post May 30 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #105

QUOTE (karolp @ May 30 2006, 05:53 PM) *
And what is that ball-shaped object almost touching the lander that looks like it has been munched by a dog and is now glowing where it was bitten? Seriously, I would like a nice explanation as I have not seen any references to it. Is it some kind of volcanic ejecta? Or a boulder crashed upon landing? Anyone?

smile.gif It's the protective cover of the camera itself, jettisonned soon after landing

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2024 - 01:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.