Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto Surface Observations 3: NH Post-Encounter Phase, 1 Feb 2016- TBD
Sean
post Jul 23 2017, 03:35 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

Great work Roman!

Here are some treatments I made with the data released this week.

Videos...

Pluto 4k

I made this for The Lymann Spitzer Jr. Planetarium, a public planetarium in Vermont...

Pluto 8k loop

Clay renders showing terrain relief...

Pluto Relief 4k

Pluto Relief 2 4k

Pluto Relief 2 zoom 1080

Images...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Jul 25 2017, 04:33 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 7822

QUOTE (Sean @ Jul 23 2017, 07:35 PM) *
Great work Roman!

Good job Sean! Thank you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roman Tkachenko
post Jul 25 2017, 04:40 PM
Post #108

Member No.: 7822

Take a flight over Pluto watching this new Pluto flyover movie created by me
Flying over Pluto

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Nov 30 2017, 02:47 PM
Post #109

Guests

I remember someone on a NASA website (might have been Mrs. Lakadawa but don't quote me on this) promising that true color, high resolution photos of Pluto will eventually be released? Have they been? I am not talking about that day 1 release image, but really high res. But I have only seen amateur colorizations so far. I had hope until the transmissions from NH have been announced to be finished but still no true color, high resolution photos! Have I missed anything?

+Quote Post
john_s
post Nov 30 2017, 04:30 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 117

The highest-resolution color image was publicly released as soon as it was received, here. However, this was enhanced color, showing more color detail than the human eye would see. If you're asking about "true color" as the human eye would see it, we might not have released a version of that image that's true color, though we've released low-resolution true-color images (e.g. here). Perhaps someone on this forum has made something closer to a true-color version of the highest res color image?

John

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Nov 30 2017, 06:08 PM
Post #111

Guests

QUOTE (john_s @ Nov 30 2017, 05:30 PM) *
The highest-resolution color image was publicly released as soon as it was received, here. However, this was enhanced color, showing more color detail than the human eye would see. If you're asking about "true color" as the human eye would see it, we might not have released a version of that image that's true color, though we've released low-resolution true-color images (e.g. here). Perhaps someone on this forum has made something closer to a true-color version of the highest res color image?

John

I remember the promise was about a high resolution, true color image. It was after those false color high resolution pics were released.

+Quote Post
Guest_MichaelPoole_*
post Dec 13 2017, 09:49 AM
Post #112

Guests

I didn't find the blog post but I found this post by Mrs. Lakadawa here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=227260 , I don't want to be demanding, but I would like to ask if those "true colorish" official MVIC pictures have been released. Thanks in advance.

+Quote Post
peter59
post Mar 3 2018, 04:05 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 299

New Horizon team released new version of MVIC and LORRI data sets.

New Horizons MVIC Pluto Encounter Raw Data v3.0
https://pds-smallbodies.astro.umd.edu/holdi....0/dataset.html
New Horizons MVIC Pluto Encounter Calibrated Data v3.0
New Horizons LORRI Pluto Encounter Raw Data v3.0
New Horizons LORRI Pluto Encounter Calibrated Data v3.0

I found in ver 3.0 MVIC image not released in ver. 2.0
Attached Image

PRODUCT_ID = "MP2_0299181722_0X530_ENG"
SEQUENCE_ID = "PEMV_01_P_CharonLight"
OBSERVATION_DESC = "MVIC PAN 2 FAST SCAN OF PLUTO NIGHTSIDE IN CHARON LIGHT

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 6 2018, 03:26 AM
Post #114

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

A work in progress restoration of P_PHOTSLEW. I've been working this off and on for about almost two years, but after seeing Roman's fine version I figured I might as well put mine out there (I added a color overlay too).

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Mar 6 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #115

Member No.: 321

Great work, Ted, Roman, and all. The sustained feeling of amazement occurs with each post, and shouldn't go uncommented. It still feels like someone invented Pluto with the specific goal of making it amazing.

I'll photograph Pluto in the coming months and it will be a dot, but your images will make it a place.

+Quote Post
Daniele_bianchin...
post May 22 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #116

Member No.: 7482

I do not know if this is the right place. I watched this Pluto area. What is these like rivers?
nitrogen ice flows?

Sputnik planum could be in the past an exposed ocean of liquid Nitrogen as is the case with Titan's methane oceans?
can a planet or dwarf planet exist with an exposed ocean of liquid nitrogen?
how big must a planet be to have a liquid nitrogen ocean??
Grazie
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post May 22 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Daniele_bianchino_Italy @ May 22 2018, 02:57 PM) *
I do not know if this is the right place. I watched this Pluto area. What is these like rivers?
nitrogen ice flows?

Sputnik planum could be in the past an exposed ocean of liquid Nitrogen as is the case with Titan's methane oceans?
can a planet or dwarf planet exist with an exposed ocean of liquid nitrogen?
how big must a planet be to have a liquid nitrogen ocean??
Grazie

Back in 2011, there was a suggestion that rivers of liquid nitrogen might be stable on Pluto
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda.../2011/3182.html

That was followed up by 2016 announcements that when Pluto's orbit and rotation are just right,
Pluto's atmosphere should support an atmosphere thick enough for liquid nitrogen to flow.
    http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=229510
    QUOTE (http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/20...-lake-on-pluto)
    “The pressure changes radically,” says New Horizons principal investigator Alan Stern. Today, he says, Pluto’s atmospheric pressure is “atypically low,” noting that at maximum it can be more than 20,000 times the current reading.

That means surface temperatures must be fluctuating enough to mess with the nitrogen on Pluto’s surface, driving it from a frozen solid into a gas. And sometimes, the temperature and pressure occasionally rise high enough for liquid nitrogen to flow on the surface.

The last time temperatures were sufficiently high to melt nitrogen was around 800,000 years ago, when Pluto’s orbital alignment led to its most extreme warm climate, says MIT’s Richard Binzel.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post May 23 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 173

See: 1. Past Epochs of Significantly Higher Pressure Atmospheres on Pluto. S.A. Stern, R.P. Binzel, A.M. Earle, K.N. Singer, L.A. Young, H.A. Weaver, C.B. Olkin, K. Ennico, Jeff Moore, William McKinnon, John Spencer, and the New Horizons Geology and Geophysics Investigation Team, Icarus, 2017. https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/icarus/vol/287

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post May 23 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 3995

Question about possible transient atmospheres on Pluto (and perhaps Ceres): Assuming there is a sufficiently robust outgassing event occurring in the current or past climatic conditions, what is the highest possible temporary atmospheric density/pressure? And how long would it take to return to normal, assuming the outgassing ceased?

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post May 24 2018, 02:05 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Gladstoner @ May 23 2018, 06:52 PM) *
Question about possible transient atmospheres on Pluto (and perhaps Ceres): Assuming there is a sufficiently robust outgassing event occurring in the current or past climatic conditions, what is the highest possible temporary atmospheric density/pressure? And how long would it take to return to normal, assuming the outgassing ceased?

Our paper sets a limit near a few hundred millibars for Pluto.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.