IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp - The Dunes - Part 2: Naukluft Plateau, Sites 53-54, Sols 1274-1352, March 7-May 27 2016
elakdawalla
post Mar 7 2016, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The sol 1274 drive has taken Curiosity up onto the slope of the Naukluft Plateau, so I'm going to split the thread here. Sol 1274 and later belongs here; go to the previous thread for Namib and High Dunes and the traverse around High Dune to the current location. Here is the most recent route map.

Sean posted this in the previous Curiosity thread but it's nice to repeat here -- a lovely view of Curiosity's current position.

View of current location from Sol 1082/MR

Quite an angle to those Navcams!
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 7 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 7837

Here is a quick stitch from Sol 1274...we're at a jaunty angle by all accounts.

Sol-1274_NR_pano by Sean Doran, on Flickr

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 7 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Nice - and here is a circular version which helps to show where we are.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 8 2016, 12:47 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 6853

Some great posts while I have been on the road smile.gif
L-MastCam mosaic from 1274, with 3 ChemCam RMI targets from 1275. confident about targets B & C, but A is more of a guess.
Mosaic assembled in MS ICE

LINKS
Flickr 1024 x 610
Flickr 4862x2896

+Quote Post
charborob
post Mar 8 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3908

Sol 1274 Lmastcam:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Mar 8 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 353

The complete Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1274.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Mar 8 2016, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2455

QUOTE (jvandriel @ Mar 8 2016, 09:01 AM) *
The complete Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1274.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

I suspect that the way forward is up and over this light colored rock on the left side of the image and through that lower section of dark rubble at the top. Seems steep. What are the tilt limits they'll have to deal with?

+Quote Post
Sean
post Mar 8 2016, 08:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 7837

Here is a quick postcard image from Sol 1274 using a new workflow for aligning Navcam images.

Its formatted for HD 3D tv output and can also be viewed on most smart phone high & low end ( cardboard/GearVR ) VR viewers.

I would love feedback on this. ( aware of the horizon glitches & minor stitching artifacts )

Sol-1274_stereo-right-SBS 1920x1080 by Sean Doran, on Flickr

And here is a regular crosseye version...

Sol-1274_stereo_right_cropped

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Mar 8 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 196

neat perspective looking along that little ridge. I don't have such devices, just crossed-eyes... here's from sol1275 which had enough parallax to combine with the zoomed-out MAHLI.. and another such view from sol1274
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 9 2016, 01:03 AM
Post #10

Close up of a nice looking mineral filled fractures: Sol 1275 MAHLI, roughly stitched in MS ICE, then sharpened and increased contrast. Scale-bar added based of Gerald's MAHLI Ruler

LINKS
Flickr 1024 x 356
Flickr 4271x1485

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 9 2016, 02:10 AM
Post #11

Curiosity Mission Update from Ryan Anderson: Sols 1275-1276: Interesting Veins and Textures:
The weekend drive went well, and put us in a great location for some contact science, right near the contact between the “Murray” and “Stimson” formations, with some interesting veins and textures in the nearby rocks. Given our nice location, we opted not to do any driving in the Sol 1275 plan and instead study the area in front of us.
The Sol 1275 plan started off with a ChemCam passive sky observation and ChemCam LIBS and RMI observations of the targets “Palmhorst”, “Palmwag”, and “Mirabib”. Mastcam took documentation images of each of the ChemCam targets, plus a couple of mosaics of the Murray-Stimson contact. Later in the day, MAHLI took some images of Mirabib before and after brushing the dust off, as well as mosaics of Palmwag and Palmhorst. APXS then analyzed the composition of Palmwag and then did an overnight measurement of Mirabib.
In today’s plan, our goal is to place the rover in position to study some interesting knobby textures. Prior to the drive, Navcam will do some atmospheric measurements and ChemCam will analyze the targets “Duruchaus”, “Eiseb”, and “Aranos”. As usual, Mastcam will take some documentation images of the ChemCam targets. Mastcam also has a mosaic of fine laminations in the rock at the Murray-Stimson contact, another mosaic to extend the coverage of the contact, and a small 2x1 mosaic of Mirabib and nearby veins using all of Mastcam’s science filters. After that, we will do a short drive toward the knobby texture followed by post-drive imaging. The knobby texture is not in a great position for us to continue driving after we analyze it, so we’ll likely return back to our current position before continuing up onto Naukluft plateau.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Mar 9 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 7273

I've been experimenting with 3D MAHLI images using the depth maps posted on Midnight Planets. I did a quick test using Photoshop's 3D capabilities using the MAHLI set that Paul posted, which I've uploaded to Sketchfab and can be viewed at this link.

There are a few artifacts that I need to work out, such as the white borders and the distortion of the 3D mesh near in the corners, but it does give you a good idea of the three-dimensionality of this scene. In particular it really illustrates how the gypsum veins have been shaped by the surrounding rock - part of the vein at left has a flat edge where it sat up against rock that has now eroded away.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 9 2016, 07:48 AM
Post #13

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Mar 9 2016, 03:27 PM) *
I've been experimenting with 3D MAHLI images using the depth maps...

Impressive work... Be sure to switch to full screen for the full effect smile.gif

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Mar 9 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #14

The post drive images from sol 1276 have started to arrive... ~23 minute drive "to place the rover in position to study some interesting knobby textures" looks to have completed successfully.
Correction: MP has the data, 7.1 meters due West. This 5 image mosaic has been roughly assembled in MS ICE. there are the usual stitching errors, but it may help Joe pinpoint the location.
I used the 5 available L-NavCam frames featuring the horizon to keep the mosaic within the site upload limit.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Julius
post Mar 9 2016, 12:17 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 741

Do I see blueberries in the foreground?

+Quote Post

25 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.