2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Observing Mars With Webcams
MichaelT
post Nov 10 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 211

I would like to open this new topic with some Mars images that I obtained using a Philips ToUCam Pro 740k and a telescope. It's really amazing what you can do today with these webcams, a moderately sized telescope and some image processing.

You simply have to unscrew the webcam's lense and fit an appropriate adaptor to attach the cam to the telescope. In this case I used a refractor with 20 cm aparture and a focal length of 3 m. It's the main telescope of Hanover's astronomy club (German homepage) that I am a member of. Additionally I used a 6x barlow lens yielding an equivalent focal length of 18 m.
After finding Mars and focusing, I usually record AVIs which are later split into seperate images (frame rate of 5 Hz).
Then I take 600 frames (2 minutes) and average them with a program called "Giotto 2.0". That program also allows to use various filtering routines to enhance details in the images.
The first image (from left to right) is a raw image, the second the average of 600 frames. To that second image, I apply butterworth and other filters. The resulting images are processed (layers, color adjustments etc) in Photoshop to obtain image 3. A bit of unsharp masking finally yields image 4.

This image is from 22 September (4 UT) The south polar cap is visible to the upper right, Syrtis Major is the large dark area to the lower right. The bright area below the south pole is the Hellas basin. The north pole is veiled by clouds. All the dark areas are not topographic features, but merely differently colored soil. Such detailed images are only possible if the seeing is exceptionally good.

I took images over a period of more than an hour and generated a GIF-animation from them (29 frames, 2:58 UT - 4:03 UT):

Full resolution (900 kB)
From the rotation you can see that the visible structures are real and not artifacts from processing.

One pixel is equivalent to 0.08 arc seconds (~ 33 km). However, the smallest structures visible are certainly larger than that.

Michael
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 10 2005, 04:10 PM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 98

Love the animation - that is lovely.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Nov 10 2005, 04:12 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 107

That is some amazing stuff! ohmy.gif

Very well done! mars.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
odave
post Nov 10 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 209

[Old Fart]
Why, back in my day you spent thousands of dollars on a CCD and processed your way in a blizzard on ice, uphill (both ways) for a bunch of fuzzy images. Nowadays some punk with an $80 webcam comes along and blows you out of the water!
[/Old Fart]

smile.gif

Seriously, the state of amateur digital imaging has progressed incredibly over the last 5-6 years.

Very nice images, MichaelT!

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
mike
post Nov 10 2005, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 86

Wow, that is quite impressive, especially the smooth animation. I wouldn't have guessed it was possible to get imagery that good with (I'm guessing) relatively inexpensive equipment. Nice work.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post Nov 10 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 107

I wouldn't rate a 20 cm refractor as inexpensive... ph34r.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
mike
post Nov 10 2005, 05:33 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 86

I was guessing. smile.gif I've never even looked into buying any telescope equipment. I'll take your word and forget the 'relatively inexpensive' part - it's still an impressive animation.

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Nov 10 2005, 05:36 PM
Post #8

Guests

Thank you for sharing MichaelT, it was interesting to see the difference from raw to finished image, and yes I liked the animation too, quite amazed in fact.

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Nov 10 2005, 05:38 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 114

WOW!

+Quote Post
MichaelT
post Nov 10 2005, 06:33 PM
Post #10

QUOTE (odave @ Nov 10 2005, 04:29 PM)
[Old Fart]
Why, back in my day you spent thousands of dollars on a CCD and processed your way in a blizzard on ice, uphill (both ways) for a bunch of fuzzy images.  Nowadays some punk with an $80 webcam comes along and blows you out of the water!
[/Old Fart]

biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I saw some *really* incredible images in German astronomy forums that were obtained with 14-18" mirror telescopes by some "amateurs".
What amazes me the most is that all the information visible in the final image is already there in the second blink.gif I wonder what will be possible in 10 years time...
And you don't need a 20 cm refractor. I saw some very nice images from people with every-day 20 cm Schmidt-Cassegrains which are not that expensive.

Michael

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Nov 10 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 15

The amount of detail you got is truly astounding. Great work!

My only constructive criticism is that the dark areas ought to be greenish-grayish, instead of purplish...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
MichaelT
post Nov 10 2005, 06:55 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Nov 10 2005, 06:38 PM)
My only constructive criticism is that the dark areas ought to be greenish-grayish, instead of purplish...

You are right. I set the tonal correction of the webcam to "auto" and thought I could change the colors appropriately later. I was wrong. sad.gif No matter what I tried, something always looked strange, either the dark or the light areas.

Michael

+Quote Post
tty
post Nov 10 2005, 09:05 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 273

You might be interested to know that essentially the same technique (attaching a simple digital camera to a relatively cheap spotting scope) has revolutionized bird photography in the last few years. This is known as "digi-scoping", perhaps a useful term in astronomy too?

tty

+Quote Post
sranderson
post Nov 14 2005, 04:53 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 386

QUOTE (MichaelT @ Nov 10 2005, 12:33 PM)
biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

I saw some *really* incredible images in German astronomy forums that were obtained with 14-18" mirror telescopes by some "amateurs".
What amazes me the most is that all the information visible in the final image is already there in the second blink.gif I wonder what will be possible in 10 years time...
And you don't need a 20 cm refractor. I saw some very nice images from people with every-day 20 cm Schmidt-Cassegrains which are not that expensive.

Michael

What is interesting to me is that you, an amateur using today's fairly common equipment, have made an image that astronomers of the past would have given their lives for. If your images would have been available in 1877 when Schiaparelli made his map, or in 1910 when Lowell was talking about irrigation systems on Mars, you could have proven that there were no canals.

I wonder what year it was that we did actually prove that there were no canals. The Mariners put the nail in the coffin, but were there ground images that pretty much proved it before?

Scott

+Quote Post
Bob Shaw
post Nov 14 2005, 11:20 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 239

QUOTE (sranderson @ Nov 14 2005, 05:53 AM)
What is interesting to me is that you, an amateur using today's fairly common equipment, have made an image that astronomers of the past would have given their lives for.  If your images would have been available in 1877 when Schiaparelli made his map, or in 1910 when Lowell was talking about irrigation systems on Mars, you could have proven that there were no canals.

I wonder what year it was that we did actually prove that there were no canals.  The Mariners put the nail in the coffin, but were there ground images that pretty much proved it before?

Scott

Scott:

Although visual observers did (quietly) report seeing craters and the like on Mars under *very* special circumstances, no emulsion-based photography ever seemed to show much more than a blur. Think of all the hundreds of frames which are tweaked to get one good image with a webcam, and then do the reverse, fuzzying them to death, and that's what we used to see.

Have a look at Sky and Telescope November 2005 p64 for an intriguing story about the visual observations made by John Mellish 90 years ago. He's not the only person who saw surface detail, either!

Bob Shaw

--------------------
Remember: Time Flies like the wind - but Fruit Flies like bananas!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 05:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.