Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Working with Planetary Data
peculiar.galexy
post Apr 12 2022, 11:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9165

Hello! I have recently gotten into planetary data after working exclusively with Hubble data for about two years now. I mastered HLA pretty well and just figured out MAST recently. After seeing a cool image of a Mars rock, I became intrigued about processing data from the Mars rovers. I have been working on finding information on how to work with these image files as I am used to FITS files- IMG was entirely new to me. I found IMG2PNG, but I am still very new to programming and cannot figure out how to convert data from Curiosity. I had read that Curiosity data needed the LBL file with the IMG file, but I cannot figure out how to convert it to a PNG even when I download both. I was able to successfully convert some data from Perseverance, but I was not able to convert Curiosity data. I was wondering if someone can walk me through the steps for working with data from the Mars rovers from the Analyst's Notebook?

I am also working on learning other databases such as OPUS and PDS. I would also love to get into Juno processing, but cannot figure that out either. I had read that the JPGs available from the raw data site don't allow for the really amazing detailed images I have seen posted, but I am fairly new to Python and am not quite sure where to start with learning how to process that data.

I have tried reading through some of the forums here, but it is a bit over my head right now. Any resources, tutorials, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Apr 13 2022, 01:11 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 4489

Hi unfortunately i do not use IMG2PNG , i use ISIS4 to process the pds image data

isis is a good set of tools but it only runs on Linux Operating systems

if you want to use isis i can walk you through the workflow

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Apr 15 2022, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Are Emily's tutorials still available? That should help a lot.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
peculiar.galexy
post Apr 19 2022, 12:51 AM
Post #4

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Apr 15 2022, 02:30 PM) *
Are Emily's tutorials still available? That should help a lot.

Phil

Unfortunately a lot of information that I found was ten years or older. Unless there are more recent ones that I am not aware of. I did manage to figure out the Curiosity data! Not sure what issues I was having the first time, but I was able to convert an IMG to a PNG successfully! Hopefully it works the next time for a Curiosity image! I've attached the image here smile.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
peculiar.galexy
post Apr 19 2022, 12:53 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Apr 13 2022, 06:11 AM) *
Hi unfortunately i do not use IMG2PNG , i use ISIS4 to process the pds image data

isis is a good set of tools but it only runs on Linux Operating systems

if you want to use isis i can walk you through the workflow

Thank you for the offer! That would be awesome! Is there a way to get it to work on Windows? If so, I can download whatever software would be needed to work it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:13 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.