IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ROVER WHEELS: Monitoring changes over time, NOTE: Read back through the thread to avoid repeating misconceptions
Gerald
post Feb 8 2014, 08:37 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (testguru @ Feb 8 2014, 08:15 PM) *
1. Was there a design spec on having to navigate dunes? Is so what was it?

Yes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
testguru
post Feb 9 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #182

Member No.: 6832

Thanks for that link.

The video indicates that the rover can do about a 20 degree slope in soft sand if I am understanding properly. Was there a hard spec on the maximum angle that the rover could traverse in soft sand?
I watch this site every day and get a feel for the anxiety that everyone has felt about trying to drive over a ~ 3ft dune. Now that Curiosity has done that I assume the anxiety will lessen for the same size dune in the future?
Since it is pretty much impossible to perfectly simulate Mars on Earth I guess we will never know for sure what the limits are on dunes until we measure the result for the first time with the rover on Mars.
I also understand the reluctance to find those limits.

Pretty much anywhere we go on Mars is going to have sharp rocks and dunes.

On the next rover mission we should be able to place a larger payload on Mars using the same rocket due to the more favorable launch window, (pretty much the best perihelic opposition for the next 13 - 15 years).

I hope that the wheels can be beefed up or replaced with something better. Folks have been saying that the next mission will not be a carbon copy of this one or even close.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 9 2014, 01:41 AM
Post #183

Member No.: 5221

Depends on the landing site surface, which is far from decided. It could be like Meridiani for all we know.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Feb 9 2014, 02:08 AM
Post #184

Member No.: 6853

Another nice set of MAHLI wheel images has been down-linked from sol 0537. One advantage with this set is the light dusting of sand on the inside of the wheels, that has helped to differentiate between small punctures and reflected light off the dimples which has sometimes been interpreted as punctures.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post Feb 9 2014, 07:35 AM
Post #185

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (testguru @ Feb 8 2014, 05:17 PM) *
Now that Curiosity has done that I assume the anxiety will lessen for the same size dune in the future?

One would think but Mars has proven to be a nasty place with surprises every now and then. We have learned some hard lessons so we never let our guard down.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 14 2014, 11:34 PM
Post #186

Member No.: 5221

A few quick seconds in this update show the rock tests in the Mars yard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBbFC4Isr0

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Feb 21 2014, 04:52 AM
Post #187

Member No.: 196

no luck trying to find MAHLI pairs to create a stero view, but rolling along, heres a gif from SOL 546..
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 21 2014, 05:02 PM
Post #188

Sol 549 MAHLI took 5 images for each wheel. So I think, there is a chance to get a complete coverage of the wheel surfaces with this series.

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Feb 2 2014, 11:26 PM) *

The manual way to determine the parameters turned out to be rather time-consuming and difficult, since to get a good result, it seems, that I need to go to subpixel accuracy with at least six parameters.
So I've to go through these rethinking cycles of automization. That's time-consuming, too, but interesting, as well.

Here one of my tries to get an automated 2d-vectorization of features of this Sol 513 image, which one of the algorithms thinks, might be parts of a rover wheel:

(looks funny, almost like a comic, so I thought I should share it)

The algorithm is designed to be mostly independent of specific light conditions.

That's an intermediate step, when trying to match a simulated image of a 3d-model of a wheel with the raw image by kind of RANSAC. Still quite a way to go...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 21 2014, 05:13 PM
Post #189

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I posted this in my blog yesterday, just looking at 2 of the wheels, the left middle and left front. I paired sol 513 and 546 images in similar positions to compare them. While I hate to suggest that any more pixels be devoted to wheels than already are, it does seem that a 5-position series would do better at completely characterizing them. Or maybe just a bit more rotation between adjacent pairs -- but then it would be harder to compare one sol to another.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Feb 21 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #190

That's nice! Some of the pairs can almost be used as x-eyeds for comparison. smile.gif

The exact same (relative) wheel and camera positions for corresponding images would be ideal for monitoring. But I doubt, that this is technically possible with reasonable effort.

For a longer-term sol-by-sol investigation I'm still hoping to be able to solve the automization. This could then be used for consecutive image processing, e.g. for marks, where changes occurred. It would also be easier to compare MAHLI with Mastcam images.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 26 2014, 04:51 PM
Post #191

Administrator

Member No.: 454

There's a new hole in the right middle wheel, at position 8 near the center, between sols 546 and 554. It's easiest to see the before-and-after comparison in the bottom pair of images, where the holes are backlit.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
xflare
post Feb 26 2014, 05:12 PM
Post #192

Member No.: 84

Could the drive along the edge of that giant bank of dark sand dunes?

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Mar 4 2014, 11:19 PM
Post #193

Member No.: 196

finally some sloppy wheel crosseyes from SOL 559 & 560 MAHLIs
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Eric H.
post Mar 9 2014, 06:11 PM
Post #194

Member No.: 7110

Here's a worrying photo from S564.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Mar 9 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #195

Member No.: 3511

I'm sure the team are keeping a close eye on the shard produced by this tearing ...

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:10 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.