IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ROVER WHEELS: Monitoring changes over time, NOTE: Read back through the thread to avoid repeating misconceptions
fredk
post Mar 9 2014, 08:17 PM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 152

QUOTE (Eric H. @ Mar 9 2014, 06:11 PM) *
Here's a worrying photo from S564.

Nothing new there - that tear has been there for months.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Mar 9 2014, 08:27 PM
Post #197

Member No.: 529

These are not the 'droids you are looking for, move along... tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Mar 9 2014, 08:54 PM
Post #198

Member No.: 6780

QUOTE (Eric H. @ Mar 9 2014, 07:11 PM) *
Here's a worrying photo from S564.

One of the fissures seems to have propagated a little bit since Sol 513, but not much (distorted Sol 564 inset in Sol 513 subimage):
Attached Image

+Quote Post
neo56
post Mar 11 2014, 03:30 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 79

Curiosity posing in front of Mount Sharp on sol 564:

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post May 19 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #200

Member No.: 196

SOL 631 lodged rock (another view).. didnt see any mention of this elsewhere or i wasnt paying attention..., perhaps it has dropped off by now ...unless its lodged in there whreel well!
EDIT: fell out sometime before sol635

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 22 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #201

Hole opened in the left middle wheel between Sol 660 and Sol 667:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 22 2014, 09:13 PM
Post #202

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Ouch. I noticed the last time I mapped wheel wear that the middle wheels appeared to be accumulating new tears more rapidly than the front ones.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 22 2014, 10:13 PM
Post #203

That has been a drive of about 500 meters; thus roughly extrapolated, we should be prepared to about 5 to 10 additional similar tears or holes till Murray Buttes - although we've always to look with precaution on extrapolations.
Not really frightening under normal circumstances; we'll have to get accustomed to it ... and keep the eyes open.

+Quote Post
climber
post Jun 23 2014, 08:09 AM
Post #204

Member No.: 682

In this case we can see that the place was already damaged so, I guess, it was "easily" removed. Actually, we can't see yet whether the missing part is torn inside the weel or has been lost. Do you think there is any change of loosing a torn part of a weel? If yes, we'll have to look closely in the rear direction to see if we can see it. wheel.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jun 23 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #205

The upper left fragment (in the image) is evidently torn inside. I didn't find immediate evidence yet, that this does hold for the lower right fragment, too. But the aluminium alloy should be sufficiently ductile to make it more likely, that no large fragment is lost.
A potentially lost fragment should behave similar to a pebble, cause some minor loss of weight of the rover, but without obvious implications to functionality.

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jun 23 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #206

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 22 2014, 05:13 PM) *
I noticed the last time I mapped wheel wear that the middle wheels appeared to be accumulating new tears more rapidly than the front ones.

A paper Performance comparison of rough-terrain robots—simulation and hardware has these diagrams of force on the wheels of a MER-type rocker-bogie design going over a step obstacle:

Attached Image

Attached Image

At least in that case it looks like the middle wheel experiences the greatest forces & the front wheel has it the easiest. The peak force on the middle wheel is when the rear wheel climbs the step.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 23 2014, 03:14 PM
Post #207

Administrator

I don't have access to that journal, unfortunately. That's a cool graph. Are the "front" wheels in this journal article on the bogie, or the rocker? I know that the rocker-bogie suspension system performs better bogie-first -- the JPL rovers are all built "backwards" so that if they get into trouble they're better-positioned to extricate themselves. But the graph is labeled "MER" so maybe it is rocker-first.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jun 23 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #208

Member No.: 152

That paper states
Note that, contrary to the real MER, the front side of the simulation model was chosen at the bogie side

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Jun 23 2014, 04:57 PM
Post #209

Member No.: 13

Weird drive on sol 667--only 1.2m spread out over almost 2 hours. The speed plot shows it was in four equally-spaced bumps, and MASTCAM L and MAHLI took images of the wheels along the way. Worrying about the wheels has been officially deregulated.

It'd be interesting to see 4 images of a particular wheel combined to "unroll" it into a continuous ribbon showing the wear pattern.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 23 2014, 05:14 PM
Post #210

Administrator

That's not weird, that's a standard wheel-imaging drive -- they do those every few hundred meters in order to monitor damage. They seem to be performing them on weekends for the most part. They recently made a tweak to their wheel-imaging routine: It used to be they took MAHLI images centered on each wheel (6 images), in 4 different positions. Now they are taking images of middle and rear wheels together (so only 4 images total), in 5 different positions, which gives them a more complete survey. They've also added Mastcam and MARDI documentation.

Also, note this talk planned for the 8th Mars conference in Pasadena:
CURIOSITY'S FLAT TIRE ON MARS AND WHAT WE DID ABOUT IT
This event is presented in conjunction with the Eighth International Conference on Mars.
The speakers for this event are, John Grotzinger, Mars Science Laboratory project scientist, and Matt Heverley, Curiosity Rover driver
The lecture is free and open to the public. No tickets or reservations are required.
Wednesday, July 16, 7:30 p.m., Beckman Auditorium

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to go, sadly.

--------------------

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.