IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 years, your thoughts....
Guest_Oersted_*
post Sep 19 2010, 10:37 PM
Post #1

Guests

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Science_...ry#Power_source
"The MMRTG is designed to produce 125 watts of electrical power at the start of the mission and 100 watts after 14 years. The MSL will generate 2.5 kilowatt hours per day compared to the Mars Exploration Rovers which can generate about 0.6 kilowatt hours per day. Although the primary mission is planned to last about 2 Earth years, the MMRTG will have a minimum lifetime of 14 years."

I know it might be considered hubris, but I cannot get this number out of my mind. If all goes well after landing, we might have a mission that will outlive some of us Earthbound followers. With JPL famously over-engineering the rovers, I am convinced that they have done something similar for Curiosity. Are there any mission-critical components that - with 100 percent certainty - will not last beyond two-three years? I doubt it, but would like to know.

If all goes well on landing, and if the rover longevity is what we might hope, what will that mean for how we approach this mission conceptually? - Obviously no "living-on Mars-time" as in the early rover days. Probably no mad dashes, thinking that every day could be the last. But will we ever really see MSL being operated with a long-term plan in which a grand research design spanning several years is being adhered to? Would that even make sense?

Your thoughts please...

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:16 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.