Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

76 Pages V  « < 74 75 76  
Closed TopicStart new topic
What's Up With Hayabusa? (fka Muses-c)
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 9 2006, 09:03 AM
Post #1126

Guests

Given the extent of the malfunctions Hayabusa had after its final sampling run (we now learn that its battery is dead and that its entire supply of chemical maneuvering fuel has leaked away), I wonder if it may have hit the surface hard enough to be seriously damaged? If so, it would simply prove again that sampling a small, rugged, rotating object is a rather difficult technological feat and you can't expect to do it on a shoestring.

It's to the credit of the Japanese that they came as close as they did on such a small budget; but it's to their discredit that they set the mission at such a small budget to begin with -- even given that it was to a large extent an engineering test mission. They certainly didn't manage to prove the reliability of many of the systems they were testing.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
helvick
post Mar 9 2006, 09:30 AM
Post #1127

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Mar 9 2006, 09:03 AM) *
even given that it was to a large extent an engineering test mission. They certainly didn't manage to prove the reliability of many of the systems they were testing.

This may not be a popular position in a forum like this but "failure" in an engineering test should not be viewed as universally bad and is often a good thing because if the failure can be successfully analysed it puts a very clearly defined marker down on what is not possible.

Whether or not that will apply to Hayabusa I can't say but I'm hopeful that the failures in this case will lead to better probes in the future.

This is a concept that is covered in a lot of detail in To Engineer Is Human : The Role of Failure in Successful Design by Henry Petroski . The book itself is mostly about structural engineering but the principle quite clearly extends to any endeavor where humans push technology and their ability to build beyond what is currently known. It's a tad dated but an interesting read all the same.

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Mar 9 2006, 11:43 AM
Post #1128

Guests

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 9 2006, 09:30 AM) *
This may not be a popular position in a forum like this but "failure" in an engineering test should not be viewed as universally bad and is often a good thing because if the failure can be successfully analysed it puts a very clearly defined marker down on what is not possible.

Well, Hayabusa certainly proved that it's hard to pull off an asteroid sample-return mission for only a couple of hundred million dollars -- but the Japanese had already established in mission after mission over the last 15 years that they were consistently spending too little to achieve their desired space goals. While going through my notes I have, in fact, found an Aviation Week article dating from about 1999 and describing an official Japanese study in which they had already concluded exactly that. (More details when I dig it up again.) However, they have continued to spend too little for their goals since then.

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Mar 9 2006, 02:41 PM
Post #1129

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

While not ignoring all the problems Hayabusa had, it must be said that in
addition to exploring a new world for the first time, they did what most
real pioneers do: Pave the way for future missions, take all the brunts of
the unknown, and expose the bugs in the system.

There was a time when just flying by a world and taking a few measurements
and images was considered a major achievement for knowledge.

Is there a list of the scientific and engineering accomplishments Haybusa
did do so far?

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

+Quote Post
lyford
post Mar 9 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #1130

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (helvick @ Mar 9 2006, 01:30 AM) *

While I agree that it may be possible to salvage good engineering data and learn from past attempts, by constantly underfunding JAXA is metaphorically "sacrificing pawn after pawn" with no queen to play....

And it's true that they are trying new things, but they are the ones setting their own goal posts too high, to mix chess and sports metaphors. See their success criteria here.

And here's the English JAXA Hayabusa Data (not too current though)

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
odave
post Mar 9 2006, 08:20 PM
Post #1131

Member No.: 209

I think it's great that they were able to re-establish comm. Given the 60-70% chance they gave back in December, I figured Hayabusa was a goner for sure. It seems like those kind of odds almost never hit in this business. The situation is certainly dire, though - at least they aren't giving up.

My perspective may be skewed due to my interest and UMSF, but it seems like Hayabusa has gotten more worldwide attention than previous JAXA missions. Maybe the excitement it generated, coupled with the "oh, soooo close" disappointment, can help convince the JAXA brass to cut loose some more money and set better goals the next time around.

Anyhow, best wishes to the Hayabusa team for their attempt to bring the wounded bird home, and have a case of Lipovitan-D on me! smile.gif

--------------------
--O'Dave

+Quote Post
nop
post Mar 11 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #1132

Member No.: 571

This thread is full of encouraging posts! smile.gif

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Mar 9 2006, 11:41 PM) *
Is there a list of the scientific and engineering accomplishments Haybusa
did do so far?

Several scientific papers have already been published or are in press. They say that papers on the first scientific achievement will appear on "Science" on this month or next. Also LPSC this week has many presentations on Hayabusa.

Here is a summary page for Hayabusa mission edited by volunteers, including an incomplete but updated list of papers:
http://hayabusa.matome-site.jp/English+Information/

Most of their accomplishments have not released yet, so please wait
i think they have been too busy to release them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lyford
post Mar 11 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #1133

Member No.: 124

Thank you, nop, that link is very informative, much more complete than the "official" English page I found.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Michael Capobian...
post Mar 21 2006, 10:31 PM
Post #1134

Member No.: 544

During the LPSC, was there any indication during the Hayabusa talks that more high res images would be released? In particular, anything about images of the intact fragments sticking out?

Michael

+Quote Post
babakm
post Mar 27 2006, 03:49 PM
Post #1135

Member No.: 159

Av Week article on the Little Mission that Could.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Mar 27 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #1136

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Michael Capobianco @ Mar 21 2006, 02:31 PM) *
During the LPSC, was there any indication during the Hayabusa talks that more high res images would be released? In particular, anything about images of the intact fragments sticking out?

I understand that there will be a special issue of Science coming out -- I assume there will be more images and maps released then.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 26 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #1137

Administrator

Member No.: 454

These two Hayabusa topics are getting confusing. I have moved the recent discussions to the Return to Earth topic and closed this one down.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post

76 Pages V  « < 74 75 76
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 01:34 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.