IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is IDL the only way to view Venus Express Data?
ncc1701d
post May 19 2015, 04:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1063

Hi all,
Does anyone know of a way to view the Venus Express Data without purchasing the $2500.00 IDL software?
I get the impression thats the only way. I am a novice amateur and looking for alternatives. thanks

ftp://psa.esac.esa.int/pub/mirror/VENUS-E...-2-3-EXT1-V2.0/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post May 19 2015, 05:10 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

PDS data is supposed to be fairly simple and easy to interpret. There are a number of ways to view PDS QUBE format (they're really just stacked 2D images.)

GDL is an open-source alternative to IDL that may be compatible with the IDL scripts on these volumes, http://gnudatalanguage.sourceforge.net/ But if you don't know IDL already there is likely going to be a steep learning curve.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post May 19 2015, 09:21 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 1743

QUOTE (ncc1701d @ May 19 2015, 06:35 AM) *
Hi all,
Does anyone know of a way to view the Venus Express Data without purchasing the $2500.00 IDL software?
I get the impression thats the only way. I am a novice amateur and looking for alternatives. thanks

ftp://psa.esac.esa.int/pub/mirror/VENUS-E...-2-3-EXT1-V2.0/

You can try the Tools page at the Planetary Science Archive here. Perhaps there is something there of use. Since I'm inside the ESA intranet, I may get redirected to an internal version of the page. So if that link doesn't work, you can Google the Planetary Science Archive at ESAC to get to the page. From the PSA pages, you should be able to find a contact link where you could ask the PSA people for help with your particular question.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post
ncc1701d
post May 19 2015, 05:18 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ May 19 2015, 06:10 AM) *
PDS data is supposed to be fairly simple and easy to interpret. There are a number of ways to view PDS QUBE format (they're really just stacked 2D images.)

GDL is an open-source alternative to IDL that may be compatible with the IDL scripts on these volumes, http://gnudatalanguage.sourceforge.net/ But if you don't know IDL already there is likely going to be a steep learning curve.

I actually found an IDL tutorial for what I need..... but alas
it turns out GDL wont work on windows. sad.gif

Thank you.

QUOTE (cndwrld @ May 19 2015, 10:21 AM) *
You can try the Tools page at the Planetary Science Archive here. Perhaps there is something there of use. Since I'm inside the ESA intranet, I may get redirected to an internal version of the page. So if that link doesn't work, you can Google the Planetary Science Archive at ESAC to get to the page. From the PSA pages, you should be able to find a contact link where you could ask the PSA people for help with your particular question.

Thank you.
I have made the inquire to them to see what they say.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post May 21 2015, 04:03 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4489

ISIS3 can only partly use the vex data

there is no camera model

so viewing only from the IMG/LBL images
basically " pds2isis" and "qview"

and GDAL can move the cub to a tiff or fits or any of the many supported formats

for other data
if it is a text based .tab there is a lbl ( label) matching file
the label informs you as to what each colum in the table file is

if it is not TOO big then you can even use a spread sheet
import the table file
then export the columns needed as CSV files

+Quote Post
ncc1701d
post May 26 2015, 03:29 AM
Post #6

Based on forum advice here I did get a Linux Computer running with Debian 8.
I installed GDL and all the support requirements installed I blieve correctly.

I found this workshop and I was trying work through it in order to work with the Venus Express Data and imagery.
http://www.sciops.esa.int/SB/PSA/docs/VIRT...kshop_DRAFT.pdf

Location of content to do first exercise was here:
ftp://psa.esac.esa.int/pub/mirror/VENUS-E...-2-3-V3.0/DATA/

When I try the first excercise though I get the following error after attempting first excercise. % Execution halted at: $MAIN$
I am wondering if their are any GDL users or experts out their who might shed some light on my problem?
Google at this point is out of info to help me and their no tech support for this question to go to.
Below is what happened after I ran the program from GDL from a Terminal. Anyone know what the errors mean?
Pretty detailed question but I have hit a brick wall and looking for any info to make some headway.
If your a Linux user you could try this excercise if you wanted to after installing GDL to see what I am talking about.
thanks

GDL - GNU Data Language, Version 0.9.5

- For basic information type HELP,/INFO
- Default library routine search path used (GDL_PATH/IDL_PATH env. var. not set):
+/usr/share/gnudatalanguage/lib
- Please report bugs, feature or help requests and patches at:
ttp://sourceforge.net/projects/gnudatalanguage/

%** Personal settings are loaded and active **
GDL> cd, '~/VenusProject/virtis_data/MTP018/VIR0499/CALIBRATED'
GDL> cubeFile='VIR0499_02.CAL'
GDL> qube=virtispds(cubeFile)
% Compiled module: VIRTISPDS.
% Compiled module: STRSPLIT.
% Compiled module: V_HEADPDS.
% V_HEADPDS: ERROR - VIR0499_02.CAL: Error opening file VIR0499_02.CAL
% Error occurred at: V_HEADPDS 117 /home/mydirectory/VenusProject/LECTUREPDS2_8_1/v_headpds.pro
% VIRTISPDS 195 /home/mydirectory/VenusProject/LECTUREPDS2_8_1/virtispds.pro
% $MAIN$
% Execution halted at: $MAIN$

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post May 26 2015, 03:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 530

I know nothing about this tool, but your error description is multiple lines. The issue is "Error opening file VIR0499_02.CAL" which probably means the permissions or path are not allowing the program to open the file for reading.

+Quote Post
ncc1701d
post Jun 21 2015, 02:05 AM
Post #8

QUOTE (stevesliva @ May 26 2015, 04:41 PM) *
I know nothing about this tool, but your error description is multiple lines. The issue is "Error opening file VIR0499_02.CAL" which probably means the permissions or path are not allowing the program to open the file for reading.

thank you. The path was the problem. However I later discovered there were functions that IDL had that GDL did not have yet according to comparison chart I found on the web so GDL turns out for me to not be the best way to go.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:27 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.