Reply to this topicStart new topic
Conjunction Conjecture, A pancam update in a couple of weeks
djellison
post Oct 9 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

More questions for JB - drop them in there - probably be doing a new update in a couple of weeks smile.gif

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hendric
post Oct 9 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #2

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

The forum has noticed some changes at Low Ridge Haven, both nearby and across the valley at El Dorado. Has the team noticed these yet? Now would be an excellent time to try out the updated dust devil detection software! smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 9 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #3

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

If you can sneak one or more of these in for me Doug..?

* How much are the MER team aware of the mission's significance in society, popular culture and "the wider world"?

* How do they feel knowing that people are creating their own images from raw MER data, potrtraying the rovers in adverts and films, being inspired by them to write poetry and short stories?

* Does it ever hit them that they aren't just exploring Mars with Spirit and Opportunity,but making history, and that their efforts and achievements will be studied and celebrated by the native martians of the future?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 9 2006, 02:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 682

Somebody here sugested that the rover could take a picture of MRO passing overhead. First, is that possible ? Second, can they try the DD detection on it ?
Another one : how Jim feel about having seen the actual shadow of Oppy's mast/Pancam?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 9 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Has the team developed any contingency plans for extended missions should one or both of the MERs become immobile yet otherwise operational? Spirit's winter stops may have already provided some of these ideas, but here they are anyway:

-Long-term atmospheric optical property observations
-Long-term nighttime meteor watch (objective: gain some idea of how many annual showers hit Mars, plus a rough estimate of their density; might identify some unknown comets that way)
-Navigational beacon duty for future advanced landers (really extended mission)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 9 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 385

Now, it is the moment that the MER team are going to study for the best ramp to enter and exit in order to study the surface strata. How far the MRO image is helping to MER team determine the slope in order to assure a safe in entering and exiting from ramp?

From the vertical view and only one image that makes me almost impossible to measure the height of two surfaces: the rim and the last end outcrop in the ramp. How can the team calculate the slope of every ramp?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 10 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #7

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Mr. Bell

We know that people over there must be really excited with all the events taking place but...
I've you already managed a way of putting your feet back on the ground?... huh.gif
tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Oct 11 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 174

"....I've you already managed a way of putting your feet back on the ground?..."

Mommy, Mommy. Why do I keep going around in circles?

Shut-up, Kid, or I'll nail your other foot to the floor.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 18 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #9

Founder

Well - hopefully it's 'on' tonight....

A lot of the questions are a bit mer-general and not very pancamey, and seing as these are Pancam updates........... - you get the idea.

I'll try and squeeze a few of these in, and then freestyle it from there smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 18 2006, 02:12 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 385

The new software that was uploaded to MER has a new algorathim to detect the clouds. The question is how the software is able to detect the presence of clouds? What kind of clouds does the PANCAM able to detect?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 18 2006, 02:17 PM
Post #11

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

I think it may have been asked before but for clarity's sake:
Is the Pancam resolution wavelength dependant\diffraction limited? Specifically is L7 able to resolve finer detail than L2/L3 for example.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Oct 18 2006, 02:30 PM
Post #12

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Oct 18 2006, 04:12 PM) *
The new software that was uploaded to MER has a new algorathim to detect the clouds. The question is how the software is able to detect the presence of clouds? What kind of clouds does the PANCAM able to detect?

The new SW update is able to automatically detect *changes* between two images taken on different times. It's not able to detect clouds but would be able to detect clouds movement.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 18 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #13

Founder

I'm thinking out loud here - but I wonder if sequence could be written where by Navcam goes cloud watching and when it identifies something - then Pancam cycles L2-5-7-2-5-7-2-5-7-2-5-7 looking at the same spot, and essentially uses the motion of the clouds as a push-frame technique for colour imaging....it's a thought isn't it smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 18 2006, 03:22 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 18 2006, 03:38 PM) *
I'm thinking out loud here - but I wonder if sequence could be written where by Navcam goes cloud watching and when it identifies something - then Pancam cycles L2-5-7-2-5-7-2-5-7-2-5-7 looking at the same spot, and essentially uses the motion of the clouds as a push-frame technique for colour imaging....it's a thought isn't it smile.gif

Doug

I like the sound of that, Doug. Was Jim in on the recent APOD choice, and does he know that clouds are now a fashionable subject at UMSF? Clouds are the new rocks!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 18 2006, 03:25 PM
Post #15

Founder

Rocks are SO Sol 200 smile.gif

I'm going to be accused of being a heritic here - but I prefer Navcam pans etc 'au-naturelle'. That's not to say that I didn't love that APOD Cloud mosaic, and obviously - I like the two pans from the fab-four that made it into AWST and APOD, but in each case I think I've prefered Navcam pans to be as nature ( or the engineering team ) intended...greyscale....and I know that's a stance I share with JB....but I'll put it to him when it comes to one bit of the q'n'a I've got marked down appropriately smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.