40 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Home, Sweet Home, Dream becomes Reality
Bill Harris
post Feb 9 2006, 03:04 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 105

This is a fine-grained indurated rock, and until we know the mineraoloy, that is all we can say.

One thing noteworthy: looking at Alan's RGB image of the slope at Homeplate posted today, the color of the dark toned rocks is a medium gray, with no trace of the usual ocher dust hue. Unusual because _everything_ here is dusty and itis odd to see rocks without that warm hue.

--Bill

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 9 2006, 03:07 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 618

QUOTE (imipak @ Feb 8 2006, 01:39 PM)
"Well... it's rock, isn't it?" /Arthur Dent
snip
And really the darker, upper material *does* seem (to me) to be made up of sand-grains sized particles.
snip

If you're talking about the upper left quarter of the frame, I assume that is sand, blown onto this slab. The little yellow square represents the sort of view I assume this is (inverted, of course).
Attached Image

The actual rock seems to consist of a very-fine-grained matrix, perhaps enclosing some coarse granular clasts. Hence "smooth lumpy stuff". So much of the Meridiani evaporite had a similar look:
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...44P2953M2M1.JPG
Sure, the resemblance can be entirely superficial, representing entirely different constituents and origins...still...others have noted the similarity of HP and Burns Cliff on a macro scale.
wheel.gif think...gotta think about it...

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Feb 9 2006, 03:08 AM
Post #93

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 8 2006, 09:11 PM)
[attachment=3974:attachment]

According to the above picture, I still have no good idea about how these around 25 degree slope of inclination are formed. As an example, the Endurance Crater has slope due to the impact crater and we can see the cross bedding as the ones of Home Plate. My best guess is that the Home Plate was formed by the accumulation of "limestones" produces by the hot water spring over thousand years (I don't think it is build up by millions but thousands years).

But, this guess does not seem to be a strong since I cannot explain well about how the limestones were grown up if the water flush away on its borders.

Maybe, a strong explosion from the nearby volcano at about 170-200 km north west of Gusev at Latitude : 7.5°S, Longitude : 187.2°W and has 5 km of Martian daturm: a Apolinaris Patera was erupted about 3 billions years ago (Hesperian age 3.5 Billions to 1.8 Billions years) and continued intermittently throughout the Hesperian period. The Spirit landing site is located near 14.8°S, 184.6°W.

The initial effusive lava flows that formed the lower part of the dome were followed by more explosive eruptions of pyroclastic rocks and lavas to build the upper, steeper part of the structure. Depletion of the magma chamber by these eruptions or by withdrawal of the magma produced roof collapse and a large caldera. The last eruption from Apollinaris filled the caldera floor and overflowed from a narrow notch in the south wall of the crater. The above picture shows the flows of lava and probably the ash will go to toward southeast where is located the Gusev crater.

Attached File  Mars_Global_Surveyor_MOC2_838_Release.html ( 2.88K ) Number of downloads: 473

Thus, to explore the region of Apollinaris Patera will provide important informations on the past volcanic activity on this region of Mars, and its different phases.

Interaction between volcano and ground-ice is also visible in this region. Throughout the growth of the volcano, magmatic heating heating by dikes and other conduits, as well as by lava flows, melted ground ice within the regolith. The resulting desintegration and collapse of the terrain continued into the Late Hesperian and formed cluster of chaotic hills and mesas. Floods from Ma'adim Vallis, a large channel south of the map area, contributed to the breakup of surface rocks.

Anyone have a better explanation about the formation of HP cone? ohmy.gif

Rodolfo
A mew update after reading the last post of DFinrock (David), I am able to explain about the formation of HP cone. Good David.

Now I am not suggesting that there was a cave involved. But cold water with lots of dissolved minerals would evaporate very quickly in the thin Martian atmosphere. And the fine-grained mineral deposits should build up steadily. Any sort of mineral spring, hot or cold, should be able to do the job.

David

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Feb 9 2006, 04:32 AM
Post #94

Member No.: 503

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Feb 9 2006, 03:08 AM)
Anyone have a better explanation about the formation of HP cone?  ohmy.gif

Rodolfo
A new update after reading the last post of DFinfrock (David), I am able to explain about the formation of HP cone. Good David.

But as Bill noted, we shouldn't make any assumptions about the type of rock until we know the mineralogy. It sure *looks* like CACO3... but looks can be deceiving. smile.gif

David

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Feb 9 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 328

Posts have been added so rapidly here that I may seem to be fairly far downstream from an earlier post by Dvandorn regarding the almost religious awe that these images inspire in him, but I would like to second his notion -- without lending any credence to "ID" -- that it is this kind of science which for many of us best expresses our spiritual yearnings.

And yes, some of this Home Plate stuff is very remeniscent of Meridiani!

+Quote Post
glennwsmith
post Feb 9 2006, 05:46 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 328

P.S. Any Teilhard de Chardin fans out there?

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Feb 9 2006, 06:11 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 190

How come a few miniTES samples haven't been taken/shown. They would be able to rule out something like CaCO3 immediately and they only take seconds to perform. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time a miniTES data mosaic or spectrum was released in a press release. Its still working right? Last I heard the aluminum band around the piece of KBr beamsplitter that was supposed to crack it over the winter because of mismatched termal expansions never happened.....sooo

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Feb 9 2006, 06:12 AM
Post #98

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

This looks good smile.gif pancam.gif

CODE
748 p2271.05 72  0   0   72  2   146  pancam_Gibson_col_1_2_3_4_L257R127
748 p2272.05 36  0   0   36  2   74   pancam_Gibson_col_5_6_L257R127

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Feb 9 2006, 06:37 AM
Post #99

Member No.: 116

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Feb 8 2006, 09:04 PM)
This is a fine-grained indurated rock, and until we know the mineraoloy, that is all we can say.
--Bill

Well said. It's hard to say much else at this point. The rampant speculation is unwarranted. I share in the excitement this place induces in all of us. It's amazing. But we really need more info.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Feb 9 2006, 07:53 AM
Post #100

Guests

QUOTE (glennwsmith @ Feb 9 2006, 05:43 AM)
Posts have been added so rapidly here that I may seem to be fairly far downstream from an earlier post by Dvandorn regarding the almost religious awe that these images inspire in him, but I would like to second his notion -- without lending any credence to "ID" -- that it is this kind of science which for many of us best expresses our spiritual yearnings.

And yes, some of this Home Plate stuff is very remeniscent of Meridiani!

I would like to second this post too. Let us forget "beliefs" and especially dogmatism (or worse). My own spiritual life also feeds on the marvels of science results, especially of space exploration.

When I was a kid, Mars was still drawn with the Schiaparelli "channels", and Titan was just a spot, I even ignored its name. I would have never dreamed to see one day a robot bringing back pictures of Mars rocks or Titan rocks...

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Feb 9 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #101

Guests

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Feb 9 2006, 06:37 AM)
Well said.  It's hard to say much else at this point.  The rampant speculation is unwarranted.  I share in the excitement this place induces in all of us.  It's amazing.  But we really need more info.

Agree too. My preference goes to evaporites, but it could be something entirely new.

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Feb 9 2006, 08:37 AM
Post #102

Member No.: 618

"A Rat, a Rat, my KINGDOM for a Rat!"
(Insert emoticon for royally-tormented frustration)
What would happen if we brushed and brushed and brushed this rock?
Would we eventually peel off the surface layer and see what's inside?
Or is there nothing inside - just what's on the outside, like Doug said? No grains of sand or pumice or blueberries! ?
A month ago I started off thinking - reluctantly - that HP was probably just more of the light -colored stratum we rolled across above Comanche. (Is that now a hypothesis in The Waste Basket of History ?)
Now I'm trying to mentally construct a microcosm of Meridiani Planitia in a polygonal....a....a petanque ground! And I can't do it.
...grinnnnnd... wheel.gif ph34r.gif wheel.gif

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 9 2006, 08:40 AM
Post #103

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 9 2006, 06:12 AM)
This looks good  smile.gif  pancam.gif

CODE
748 p2271.05 72  0   0   72  2   146  pancam_Gibson_col_1_2_3_4_L257R127
748 p2272.05 36  0   0   36  2   74   pancam_Gibson_col_5_6_L257R127

Yup - it's a 180 degree mosaic (after famous Negro League baseball player Josh Gibson - according to JB)

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Richard Trigaux_*
post Feb 9 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #104

Guests

Did you noticed here
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/spirit/mi...55P2936M2M1.JPG
the strange white zig-zag at the extreme right? It is not a cosmic ray, as it appears on two other images. It is not something shiny in the sun, as this image is in the shadow. (sometimes in this series of image it appears shiny sand grains, but not like that)

+Quote Post
Nirgal
post Feb 9 2006, 09:37 AM
Post #105

Member No.: 223

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Feb 9 2006, 04:11 AM)
I haven't seen these two Pancam ESF's stitched together here yet.

It will be in full filter colour as soon as the data is down.

synthetic color versions already posted yesterday
but somehow "got lost" due to the board's very high posting frequency at the moment wink.gif

+Quote Post

40 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:12 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.