IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chang'e 3 prelaunch through lunar orbit insertion, Lander instruments, capability, development, testing, launch
Doug M.
post Aug 12 2013, 09:14 AM
Post #46

Group: Members
Member No.: 6511

With less than four months to go before launch, Chang'e seems to have attracted very little mainstream media attention. Nobody outside of a small circle of space enthusiasts seems to be aware that China will attempt a Moon landing before the end of this year.

Which leads to a question: if Chang'e works as planned, what would you expect the public response to be? Astonishment? Appreciation? Calls for a new Moon race? Or "meh, been there, done that"?

Doug M.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 12 2013, 12:58 PM
Post #47

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Envy?

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tolis
post Aug 15 2013, 01:57 PM
Post #48

Member No.: 4216

QUOTE (Cosmic Penguin @ Aug 7 2013, 01:46 PM) *
Apparently the launch of Chang'e 3 is scheduled at ~17:00 UTC on December 1st! laugh.gif The information comes from a lecture by an astronomer at the Shanghai Observatory, which will use their 65 meter radio telescope to help track CE-3 on its way to the Moon.

If that piece of information is accurate I wonder to what degree that constrains the flight time and landing date, given that
launch will occur a day before New Moon and (presumably) the landing needs to take place in sunlight and as early
in the lunar day as possible. The Sun rises at Sinus Iridum on Dec 12, sets on Dec 27th and rises again
on Jan 11th.

+Quote Post
tolis
post Aug 15 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 4216

QUOTE (Doug M. @ Aug 12 2013, 10:14 AM) *
With less than four months to go before launch, Chang'e seems to have attracted very little mainstream media attention. Nobody outside of a small circle of space enthusiasts seems to be aware that China will attempt a Moon landing before the end of this year.

Which leads to a question: if Chang'e works as planned, what would you expect the public response to be? Astonishment? Appreciation? Calls for a new Moon race? Or "meh, been there, done that"?

Doug M.

One could draw an analogy with Hayabusa. Before arrival at Itokawa, the mission was very low-key. Afterwards, with
all these nice close-ups..btw, Chang'e 3 will bring the first CCD cameras to the lunar surface (yes, it *has* been that long!).

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 15 2013, 02:27 PM
Post #50

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (tolis @ Aug 15 2013, 07:01 AM) *
the first CCD cameras to the lunar surface (yes, it *has* been that long!).

There are lots of CCD cameras on the lunar surface. They're just part of debris fields smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 28 2013, 03:05 PM
Post #51

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/story/20...moon-space.html

Not too long now! You will note that the article mentions two landers, the second meaning Chang'E 4 in another year or two.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stone
post Aug 28 2013, 07:33 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 6845

From some time ago I thought Chang'E 4 is only a backup if Chang'E 3 does not work and the next will be Chang'E 5. Chang'E 5 was planned as a sample return. The available material is thin.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 28 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #53

No, as with Chang'E 1 and 2, the second is a backup but if the first is successful the second will fly as well, going to a different location and maybe with improved equipment. Somewhere I have read that Chang'E 4 may have more autonomous driving capability.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 5 2013, 02:14 PM
Post #54

This is the program for a Chinese lunar and planetary exploration meeting, going on right now.

http://lunar.csp.escience.cn/dct/page/65580

Some interesting talks - I wish we had abstracts. Some refer specifically to the upcoming landing mission.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 21 2013, 11:24 PM
Post #55

http://ms2013.cosmos.ru/sites/ms2013.cosmo...ogram-09-20.pdf

This is the program for the Fourth Moscow Solar System Symposium, to be held next month. Check out this item near the bottom:

4MS3-NP-9 Jinsong Ping et al Chang’E-3/4 Lunar Landing Missions and Lunar Radio Science Experiments

We usually get abstracts after the meeting, and in the past full presentations as well (though they might be diverted into journal articles this year). I will be, as the expression is, 'gagging' for further details.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 12 2013, 07:40 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 1004

A pre-print from Science China: Technological advancements and promotion roles of Chang’e-3 lunar probe mission
As far as I can see from a quick look, there are not many new infos on the mission or spacecraft

+Quote Post
yaohua2000
post Oct 27 2013, 01:35 PM
Post #57

Member No.: 526

Lunar rover naming contest phase 1 of 4 completed. The top 10 candidates are:

* Yutu (Jade Rabbit)
* Tansuo (Explorer/Exploring)
* Lanyue ("Pull the Moon into one's arm")
* Qianxuesen (aka Tsien Hsue-shen)
* Zhuimeng (Chasing Dream)
* Xunmeng (Seeking Dream)
* Zhuiyue (Chasing the Moon)
* Mengxiang (Dream)
* Shiming (Mission)
* Qianjin (Forward)

Phase 2 will choose three names from these ten. Vote at http://www.xinhuanet.com/forum/zt2013/yqctp/index.htm until October 31.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 27 2013, 10:53 PM
Post #58

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Yaohua, is this open to everyone or only PRC citizens?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
yaohua2000
post Oct 28 2013, 12:00 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 526

QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 28 2013, 06:53 AM) *
Yaohua, is this open to everyone or only PRC citizens?

You mean the vote? Yes, everyone.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 28 2013, 12:23 AM
Post #60

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

I did. Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:57 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.