OPAG meeting November 2008
tty
post Nov 20 2008, 07:51 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 273

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 19 2008, 03:59 AM) *
As for imagery...I vote IR!

How much IR would there be at that temperature?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 20 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #32

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

For fine IR spectral analysis, you'd need to bring your own IR source, as in this apparatus (which I refer to as "The Fickle Finger of Fate").

The diagnostic information from the IR bands that you'd get would only give you some functional group types. You'd still not be able to discern exact discrete chemisal structures ("Yup! There are some hydrocarbons in there!")
A better analytical tool would be GC analysis. Even better would be GC-MS.

For actual imaging, I'd be paranoid that a scum/crud/foam layer might extend up from the surface, and you'd be guessing how high up the mast to mount the camera to avoid looking at a bunch of suds. You might have the same problem under the surface as well.

Pure Hexanes and other hydrocarbons should be nice and clear. It is the trace polymers, emulsions, and other gookies that might crud stuff up under the surface - but the trace polymers, emulsions and gookies are exactly the things that might be the most chemically interesting.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Nov 21 2008, 08:35 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 18 2008, 09:59 PM) *
At the risk of sounding heretical, I would almost trade an imager for a basic underliquid sonar mapping capability...but upon further reflection, nah. We don't know enough about the liquid's composition to design such an instrument (though a depth sounder would be a must-have....

speak for yourself.....
Huygens had a depth-sounder which would have worked fine had we not dumped it in a desert.....

We know the speed of sound in liquid hydrocarbons (and the Huygens SSP
instruments were tested in the stuff). Sure, suspended gunk and dissolved goop may influence absorption/
scattering, but that's useful to measure too. I've recently looked at beam-steering sonar for Titan landers -
the difficulty is that the sound speed is high enough that for realistic frequencies the wavelength is long
enough that a beam-steering array needs to have a large physical separation between the radiating elements.

Really need to stream a sonar array behind us as we motor around doing Crazy Ivans in Kraken Mare

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 21 2008, 09:26 AM
Post #34

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

blink.gif ...I stand corrected, Ralph! (How about a towed transmitter with a little side-scan sonar receiver a few meters behind it for bottom mapping?)

TTY: IIRC, the best surface imagery's been observed at around 3 microns or so from VIMS? I don't think that's re-radiation from absorbed sunlight--it's probably direct solar illumination/reflection--and since it penetrates the haze & escapes to space more readily than the other bands I'm thinking that it might be the 'brightest' component of sunlight at the surface.

I bet that the liquid hydrocarbons & associated gunk absorb it pretty thoroughly, though; the mares look really, really dark.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 21 2008, 03:35 PM
Post #35

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 21 2008, 04:26 AM) *
TTY: IIRC, the best surface imagery's been observed at around 3 microns or so from VIMS?

IIRC the best surface imagery is at 3 um from orbit because it has the best trade-off between useful signal and noise in an interesting region in a methane window with lower haze scattering.

Titan's atmospheric hazes really mess with the shorter wavelengths.

Shorter wavelengths (like ISS's 0.93 um and VIMS 1.28 um) have more haze-scattering (more fuzziness) but are brighter, while the longer wavelengths (like 5 um) have less haze-aerosol scattering, but are darker so there's more noise in the signal. (Graphic of Titan windows vs. water ice spectrum here)

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Nov 21 2008, 05:22 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Juramike @ Nov 21 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Shorter wavelengths (like ISS's 0.93 um and VIMS 1.28 um) have more haze-scattering (more fuzziness) but are brighter, while the longer wavelengths (like 5 um) have less haze-aerosol scattering, but are darker so there's more noise in the signal. (Graphic of Titan windows vs. water ice spectrum here)

-Mike

Between the longer wavelength, atmospheric scatter, and the lack of shadows, imaging Titan is hard. Strategies such as really big cameras (think HiRise on MRO) probably won't work for increasing resolution. The proposed TSSM mission is planning on just 50 m. I work with Landsat 30 m images. This is a tool for characterizing landscapes, not for fine geology. Unfortunately, what makes Titan so interesting -- its atmosphere -- makes it harder to study. It's going to be hard to distinguish albedo features from topographic features without good shadowing.

There is one technical trick that could help. If you have a camera that looks down (nadir) and then offset to either front or back, you can generate stereo images with vertical resolution roughly the same as horizontal. Mars Express' camera does this as does the Terra ASTER camera. The data rate increases since you are taking two sets of images, but the offset image can be in a single color (the ASTER offset band is near IR, for example).

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Nov 21 2008, 05:35 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (rlorenz @ Nov 21 2008, 03:35 AM) *
Really need to stream a sonar array behind us as we motor around doing Crazy Ivans in Kraken Mare

You expect those Titanian orcas to sneak up on you from behind?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 21 2008, 06:54 PM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Good point. Might be worth adding a hook and some bait (a nice, juicy ball of tar?) just in case! tongue.gif

The conditions would be ideal for trolling, anyhow; you have to move slowly to do sonar mapping or the image smears out.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Nov 21 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #39

Gee, if we can extend the wireless range of this a few million km, we could get the Titan lake sonar results on our wristwatch. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Nov 24 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #40

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (vjkane @ Nov 21 2008, 11:22 AM) *
The data rate increases since you are taking two sets of images, but the offset image can be in a single color (the ASTER offset band is near IR, for example).

There should be quite a bit of correlation between the two images. I think you could use a motion based compression algorithm to minimize the data transmission overhead of that extra image.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Nov 28 2008, 12:18 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (vjkane @ Nov 21 2008, 12:22 PM) *
Between the longer wavelength, atmospheric scatter, and the lack of shadows, imaging Titan is hard. Strategies such as really big cameras (think HiRise on MRO) probably won't work for increasing resolution. The proposed TSSM mission is planning on just 50 m. I work with Landsat 30 m images. This is a tool for characterizing landscapes, not for fine geology. Unfortunately, what makes Titan so interesting -- its atmosphere -- makes it harder to study.

The atmosphere makes it easy to study in-situ, though, permitting the delivery to the surface of instrumentation
far easier than on an airless world. And of course permitting a balloon (or other aerial platform) which
can give you HiRise-resolution imagery...

(btw - people have said 3 microns is the best near-IR wavelength - actually it is 2 microns)

+Quote Post
infocat13
post Dec 9 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 479

The Argo PDF document is now up on the OPAG November meeting website

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/nov2008Meetin...ations/argo.pdf

one trajectory option is Jupiter Saturn Neptune/Triton and then a KBO!

whats new? (from March meeting) science coverage of tritan northern hemishere

image triton unseen by voyager

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 9 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 530

Still really interesting, thanks.

On the "cost saving options" slide, it mentions making Jupiter and Saturn "missions of opportunity." Is there really enough runway to do that for Jupiter? Saturn I can believe.

Also interesting are the OPAG requests at the very end-- two of three are infrastructure! Hopefully that's an easier sell in the current economy.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Dec 10 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (stevesliva @ Dec 9 2008, 04:57 PM) *
Still really interesting, thanks.

On the "cost saving options" slide, it mentions making Jupiter and Saturn "missions of opportunity." Is there really enough runway to do that for Jupiter? Saturn I can believe.

I wonder if that is referring to a revenue-enhancement option rather than a cost-savings option! You've got a bare-bones NF mission under $800M and you also get $50-$100M for the MoO for Jupiter/Saturn...making the whole ball o'wax a $900M mission.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.