IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Creating a Mars 3 Panorama, Not relying on the meaingless noise from the lander itself
sittingduck
post Dec 10 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6784

Being startled by the quality of the orbital images of the presumed Mars 3 landing site (rocks of diameter <50cm seem visible), I would like to simulate the view from the current location of the Mars 3 lander using a variety of sources. Below are a list of requirements to do this that I will attempt to fill in over time, with many questions included that I hope other users on UMSF may be able to point me in the right direction to answer. Any readers willing to help are gratefully accepted.

Requirements:

Accurate 3D reconstruction of the Mars 3 lander, with emphasis on camera location and in-frame components
- currently taking a look at the pre-existing 3D model found here but need to verify some details, anyone care to comment on accuracy?
- where can I best find engineering drawings?
- high-resolution photos?

Condition of lander/rover
- can any information about the rotation of the lander (emphasis on camera orientation) be derived from the HiRise images?
- Q Answered: Prop-M deployed before imaging
- what was the amount of dust in the atmosphere at landing time?
- Q Answered: Height of camera above ground should be close to 75-80cm.

Accurate camera behavior:
- Q Answered: the camera is a optical-mechanical cycloramic camera
- Q Answered: the field of view of the panorama is 30°x360°
- Q Answered: each camera had a different permanent color filter, most likely one camera had an orange filter (OS14) and the other had a yellowgreen filer (ZhZS13).
- Q Answered: automatic sensitivity control (ASC) ensuring image return within a wide range of luminance, from 50 to 50000 lux.
- Q Answered: resolution of individual circular panorama 500x6000 pixels
- were there any test-panorama images made on Earth and where are they?

DEM of surroundings
- Q Answered: a heightmap could be created from the stereo pair ESP_032447_1345 + ESP_032737_1345
- Q Answered: some experiments with commercial stereo-photogrammetry software
- what is the best existing DEM for the surrounding terrain of Ptolomaeus crater? MOLA? HRSC DTM?

Geology of the immediate surroundings
- what sort of rocks/surface is expected to exist at this location? what previous lander location best compares?
- are smaller rocks than visible in HiRise images anticipated but not visible due to resolution, or is there clearly a cut-off point of rocks below a certain diameter at the location?

The attached quick mock-up gives an idea of what I would like to attempt. It is made using the aforementioned lander 3D model, a camera of arbitary vertical FOV positioned into one of the telephotometer enclosures, stitch of several renders, one of the HiRise images overlaid into Google Mars and the terrain elevation data from Google Mars in the background, intended only as a demonstration. The visible "rock" is also a test and its height and width are estimated from the shadow it casts relative to that of the lander with known height.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Guest_alex_k_*
post Aug 14 2015, 08:26 AM
Post #2

Guests

For a research purpose I need an exact DEM of Mars 3 landing site. There're HiRISE images PSP_006154_1345, ESP_031036_1345 and stereo pair ESP_032447_1345+ESP_032737_1345.
Having a little experience in 3d modelling, I tried various software for processing stereo paris, all without appropriate result.
The best heightmap I can create was produced using CrazyBump software by illuminance from PSP_006154_1345 image. Here is a result of processing:
Attached Image

Being acceptable for distant features, the heightmap has some distortions: shadows become depressions, etc, so closer details are deformed.

Can anybody help to get more exact DEM of the landing site?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:08 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.