2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
South Pole image from LOLA data
JohnVV
post Jan 5 2011, 04:39 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4489

I'm getting severe orbit streaking when I create high resolution(~5m) gridded datasets from the RDRs. Has anyone noticed orbit streaks in the 5m resolution GDRs?

The heighest point is 2078m the lowest is -2999 m. Orbit streaks are visible but not too bad in this image because it is using a lower resolution dataset (80m).

the poles "should" be much better than the mid latitude +45 to -45
Now there is the scientific removal but that will be in a few years .When there is much more data , that can be averaged better.
There is also an"Artistic " smoothing without bluing that i used for the 256 px./ deg. full map I made .
that involved using a heat flow pde that " G'mic" ( grastoration / Cimg.h ) uses .
an example

now that is NOT near the pole and thus needs a very BIG correction
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Jan 6 2011, 06:24 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 4489

just took a look at the south pole 10 m rdr IMG ,that is a bit striped
for the images below
1) the image on the left is a crop and ONLY had a "emboss" applied to it for viewing the 16 bit image
2) for the one on the right , the same plus some "destripping " in Gmic

+Quote Post
zeBeamer
post Jan 13 2011, 02:45 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4830

Current orbits are good to 15-20m, so I am not surprised that the orbit errors show up at 5m resolution. We're working on it (for example, by developping new gravity field models), but 5m is currently not achievable. (For reference, the original requirement was 50m). Maybe after GRAIL gives us a perfect gravity field!
Also, keep in mind that each laser footprint is ~5m in diameter, so your maps will have very sparse coverage at those resolutions.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:27 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.