Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons Jupiter Flyby Anniversary, A lookback at the flyby a year ago
ugordan
post Mar 19 2008, 10:15 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 19 2008, 10:56 AM) *
Proud and surprised to see one of my fictions there, among Bjorns, ugordans and others from the major league of imaging... tongue.gif

To be fair, not much of my work seen here is anything special, others did way cooler things like mosaicking and color composites biggrin.gif

Great poster, Hendric! It's a privilege to have been able to take part in this cool event.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 19 2008, 05:37 PM
Post #17

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Mar 18 2008, 02:14 PM) *
A beautiful poster. I'd love to see a bigger version smile.gif .

Bjorn,
Anyone interested in a full size file can e-mail me at richardhendricks at yahoo dot com, and I'll send you the raw 4800x6000 2.7MB JPEG. smile.gif

I did finally receive the copy I ordered from CafePress, and it isn't quite as bad as the Kodak Gallery print, but it still doesn't match the one from largeformatposters.com. The full bleed was a little off, with a slight red line on the top and right side, and the colors were slightly off as well, with the B&W photos coming out with a tan tint, and a little too much red overall. It's only $3 more for largeformatposters.com, and it was perfect when it came in. I'm going to order a 32"x40" from them.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Mar 19 2008, 09:15 PM
Post #18

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 19 2008, 03:56 AM) *
Proud and surprised to see one of my fictions there, among Bjorns, ugordans and others from the major league of imaging... tongue.gif

Ustrax,
I am quite surprised you said that! Your composite of the red plume with the hotspot located in the middle of the caldera really struck me as a cool picture. Plus it gives some character to the bottom row of the poster. laugh.gif

Actually though, to be a little serious, I think every picture adds a unique perspective, and if I could have fit every one from all the threads, I would have. It's my hope that by doing things like this, we as a community (UMSF) can be taken a little more seriously by the PIs, engineers, PR, what-have-you as a resource instead of an annoyance. I feel like we're really starting to see some changes in space explaination (for lack of a better term) because of UMSF (and the internet in general), but that there could be so much more. For example, I'd love it if all you Europeans forwarded this poster to ESA and commented "I did this" or "Our community on the internet did these with the raws released by the NH team, where are our raws from European missions?" or "This is why giving a raw immediately is better than waiting for a PDS release" or "Just give us the raws, and we'll drum up free APOD/TPS/etc publicity for your mission" etc. The normal astronomy community is starting to take advantage of amateurs, why not the space exploration community? I doubt we'll ever see a mission where UMSF.com handles all it's E/PO and press releases, but you never know. smile.gif

My one regret on the poster was that I couldn't include the movies made by Our Esteemed Leader; it's ironic there aren't any djellison's on the poster!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 20 2008, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Guests

Wonderful work... reminds me of Bjorn Jonsson's comparison photo which showed Jupiter as seen by 6 spacecraft ( Pioneer 10 & 11, Voyager 1& 2, Cassini and New Horizons) cool.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:18 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.