3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
"In the Shadow of the Moon", New documentary gets a favorable review
jrdahlman
post Jun 3 2007, 02:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 561

Raymond Chen, a programmer for Microsoft, went to the Seattle International Film Festival. As mentioned in his blog, he walked into "In the Shadow of the Moon" almost by accident and came out raving about it. From his description, it sound like a film we would enjoy.

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/...01/3019282.aspx

If I may quote:

"This was absolutely wonderful, a documentary consisting of stunning never-before-seen NASA footage from the Apollo missions and interviews with most of the surviving astronauts who have been to the moon. (Of the astronauts, all of whom are extremely well-spoken and quite funny, Michael Collins steals the show.) If this movie goes into general release, I strongly encourage every space buff to run, don't walk, to see it. The footage of the Saturn V launch brought tears to me eyes. I give it a 5 out of 5.

There's a spectacular shot taken from the inside of a spent stage: You watch the next stage ignite and the spacecraft fade off into the distance, then as the spent stage loses attitude, the earth comes into view before the film finally runs out. During the Q&A after the movie, one person asked the director, 'How did the film of that sequence survive re-entry?' The answer: The film was ejected from the spent stage and fell to earth. High-altitude planes were in pursuit with giant nets trailing out behind them. That was one insane game of 'catch'.

The special surprise guest at the screening was Bill Anders, the crewmember from Apollo 8 who took the famous Earthrise photo. He quipped that Frank Borman actually took the first Earthrise photo, but Borman had the disadvantage of using the camera loaded with black-and-white film; Anders had color film in his camera.

Bonus story #1 from Gene Cernan: 'My father was alive when the Wright brothers made their first flight; he could hardly believe that I walked on the moon. My son was five years old; he thought it was no big deal.'

Bonus story #2 from Charles Duke: 'After I returned, the flight doctor told me that at launch my heart rate was 144.' A beat. 'John's was 70.' Cut to interview with John Young: 'I'm old. My heart can't go any faster.'"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 3 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (jrdahlman @ Jun 2 2007, 07:49 PM) *
(Of the astronauts, all of whom are extremely well-spoken and quite funny, Michael Collins steals the show.)

Bonus story #1 from Gene Cernan: 'My father was alive when the Wright brothers made their first flight; he could hardly believe that I walked on the moon. My son was five years old; he thought it was no big deal.'

Bonus story #2 from Charles Duke: 'After I returned, the flight doctor told me that at launch my heart rate was 144.' A beat. 'John's was 70.' Cut to interview with John Young: 'I'm old. My heart can't go any faster.'"

Priceless stuff, JR; thanks! smile.gif BTW, (if you haven't already) and if you can find it, be sure to read Collins' Carrying the Fire...arguably the best astronaut book ever!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 3 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 15

Agreed -- "Carrying the Fire" is written solely by Collins (no ghostwriters here), and showcased the man's great sense of humor and intelligent (dare I say intellectual?) viewpoint from within the most fascinating endeavor ever set upon by Man.

I was also quite impressed with Collins' decision to follow Charles Lindbergh's format from "The Spirit of St. Louis." Everything Collins recounted about his life, his training, his pre- and post-flight experiences was written in past tense. His accounts of the flights of Gemini 10 and Apollo 11 are written in present tense. This brings a great sense of immediacy to the actual flights.

Collins is not only one of the wittiest, most intelligent and most perspicacious of the early astronauts, he is undoubtedly the best writer of the lot.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jun 30 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 627

This movie is set to show commercially with the help of Ron Howard...

http://sev.prnewswire.com/entertainment/20...29062007-1.html

Having lived through that time, I intend to convince some of my younger friends, and others who are not really space oriented, to come see this with me..... except they will have to put up with my tears and crying when I see a Saturn rise.....

I was priviledged to watch the Apollo 17 launch.... an event I will never forget.

Craig

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Jun 30 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (belleraphon1 @ Jun 30 2007, 11:01 PM) *
I was priviledged to watch the Apollo 17 launch.... an event I will never forget.

Lucky you. Film footage is all some of us will ever get. sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Floyd
post Jul 1 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1102

As a kid growing up in Los Angeles, I could hear the rocket motor tests miles away in the desert--some ending with a bang. Unfortunately, I never got to Florida to see a launch. I would really have liked to see a Saturn V blast off.

--------------------

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Aug 13 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 221

The trailer has been posted Oh wow! Take a look at this.

+Quote Post
As old as Voyage...
post Aug 18 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1462

Am I right in thinking that because of his time in lunar orbit during Apollo 10, Gene Cernan has spent the most time at (in orbit and on the surface) the Moon than any other Apollo astronaut?

--------------------
It's a funny old world - A man's lucky if he gets out of it alive. - W.C. Fields.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

Definitely an oDoug question, Voyager; we'll see if he chimes in.

Thanks for the trailer, Dan; gave me chills! Sure am glad that someone as talented as Ron Howard is on our side, as it were... smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 19 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 197

Looks really good. I'm going to have to pull out all my iuo's and find some premier tickets to this somewhere, I'll even drive to (ugh) Hollywood if need be. I'll let you all know what I come up with -- they usually come in fours.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #11

Merciless Robot

Uh, Dan, not to beg, but since I do live in downtown LA & if circumstances permit, can ya do me a solid? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Aug 19 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 197

I had you in mind. But as the old saying goes, "Let's not count our rovers before they've completed EDL and successfully egressed."

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 19 2007, 08:18 PM
Post #13

Merciless Robot

A venerable platitude indeed, and oft repeated! smile.gif Thanks, man.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 23 2007, 12:29 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 15

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 19 2007, 10:27 AM) *
Definitely an oDoug question, Voyager; we'll see if he chimes in.

Yes, indeed, Cernan holds the record for a human being spending time in cislunar and lunar space. I don't have the figure handy, but Apollo 17 was the only J mission that spent the extra two days in lunar orbit after ascent/docking (thought it was planned for both 16 and 17), so Cernan does hold the record.

Cernan, along with Stafford and Young, also hold the record for the fastest speed ever achieved by humans (relative to the surface of the Earth), and Young, along with Duke and Mattingly, hold the record for the highest latitude ever flown over (due to their course, they ended up flying directly over a point some 61 degrees or so north latitude post-TLI).

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
RedSky
post Sep 28 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 218

It opened today (Fri Sep 28) here in Melbourne FL. It is a must see for any spaceflight fan... and should really be seen by everyone else just to inform them (or remind them) of what is possible by inspired, determined people. As someone who turned 16 a few days before Apollo 11's launch, and have followed spaceflight since a kid (Mercury, the Rangers, Surveyors, Lunar orbiters, Mariners), I just had an incredible sense today of almost teary-eyed nostalgia through most of it. Seeing how the Apollo astronauts have aged (as well as myself), I kept thinking how could we (as a country) have just squandered all this and let it all go.

Yes, there is the Shuttle and ISS... but it just seems like way too much time has passed since 1972. I worry that I will not see another manned moon landing in my lifetime... though I am hopeful. But then, toward the end of the movie, I felt a contentment that at least I got to live during this period of man's history and experience it as it happened. (I know it was a Friday afternoon showing... but in a 180 seat theater, I was the only one there, although the other 15 movies playing at the same time seemed fairly well attended. Sad... as I thought there'd be folks like me who'd take a half day just to see it... since its only showing for a few days. I may go back this weekend.)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:45 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.