IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

67 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Exploring Mt Sharp north of the dunes - Part 1: Beyond Pahrump Hills, Site 45-50, Sol 923-1147, March 12-October 28, 2015
Guest_Steve5304_*
post Sep 6 2015, 04:11 AM
Post #751

Guests

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 6 2015, 04:51 AM) *
They probably are; gypsum veins have been found by Oppy and Curiosity before. There was water percolation through bedrock in many places. Most of what we see is a lot older than most places on Earth, though; billions instead of millions. Erosion moves exceedingly slowly here.

well the gypsum is in a flow pattern downstream. the plaster of paris only reveals itself in the presence of.water . This place on the planet had ALOT of water...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
algorithm
post Sep 6 2015, 04:29 PM
Post #752

Group: Members
Member No.: 6783

MastCam mosaic from Sol1095, (not sure of target name)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 7 2015, 01:46 AM
Post #753

Member No.: 6853

Another R-MastCam mosaic from sol 1095

Original (5756 x 1469) LINK

+Quote Post
serpens
post Sep 7 2015, 04:55 AM
Post #754

Member No.: 4605

QUOTE (nprev @ Sep 6 2015, 04:51 AM) *
..... Erosion moves exceedingly slowly here.

More accurately, erosion moves exceedingly slowly here now days. In the past this must have been a very dynamic environment with plenty of that universal solvent, water. In the absence of plate tectonics building and sculpting a sedimentary formation like mount Sharp won't happen in a benign environment.

+Quote Post
Guest_Actionman_*
post Sep 7 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #755

Guests

... erosion exceedingly thorough with out apparent annihilation.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Sep 8 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #756

Member No.: 7273

QUOTE (PaulH51 @ Sep 6 2015, 07:46 PM) *
Another R-MastCam mosaic from sol 1095

I believe the big ridge at center is Grey Wolf Peak. Cliff on the left side might be the rear flank of Mt. Stimson or Mt. Siyeh.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 8 2015, 03:47 AM
Post #757

Animation of what looks like an Alignment Check for Organic Check Material Sample Acquisition on the 'offset OCM canister' (lower right hand side of the 5 cans)

Flickr (755 x 800) LINK or IMGUR LINK

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 8 2015, 05:02 AM
Post #758

QUOTE (jccwrt @ Sep 8 2015, 09:35 AM) *
I believe the big ridge at center is Grey Wolf Peak. Cliff on the left side might be the rear flank of Mt. Stimson or Mt. Siyeh.

Looking at Phil's maps, that sounds like a good call... I'd probably favour Siyeh for the other peak smile.gif

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Sep 8 2015, 09:10 PM
Post #759

Member No.: 196

QUOTE (algorithm @ Sep 6 2015, 09:29 AM) *
MastCam mosaic from Sol1095, (not sure of target name)

Nice work! algorithm's stitch stitch gives context to the two curious and seemingly related bar-like features tht appear to contain coarser grains and are displaced across what to my untrained eye looks like an apparent fault slip in this sol1095 image... interpretations anyone?

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 8 2015, 11:45 PM
Post #760

QUOTE (atomoid @ Sep 9 2015, 05:10 AM) *
Interpretations anyone?
I'll leave that to the experts smile.gif But it is impressive

Meanwhile we dont have all the NavCam images yet, but these 5 frames (L-NavCam, sol 1098) give us an idea of the terrain in new location. Roughly assembled in MS ICE.
The drive appears to have been cut short of the planned distance. Maybe the rover spotted the outcrops to the right (inside Bridger Basin) and fancied a closer look at them smile.gif If not, there is some better driving terrain to the south and then west around the basin.

Original (3841 x 1382) LINK

Edit : Curiosity Mission Update from Ken Herkenhoff, Sol 1099: Driving again LINK
MSL did well over the long weekend, except that the Sol 1098 drive was halted after 13 meters of the planned 25 meters because the rover could not confirm that the path ahead was safe. So the plan for the Sol 1099 drive is essentially to complete the rest of the previously planned drive. The only significant problem I've had to grapple with today as SOWG Chair is that the last 5 relays of data through MRO have returned significantly less data than expected; if this problem continues, we will barely receive enough data to plan another drive on Sol 1100. Fortunately, the MRO team understands the problem and knows how to correct it, and there is a good chance that we will receive all the data we need in time for planning tomorrow morning. This situation reminds me of how much we depend on the Mars orbiters and the teams that operate them, and to thank them for their continued support of the MSL mission.
Before the Sol 1099 drive, we have time to acquire ChemCam and Mastcam observations of "Mission Creek" and "Chamberlain," plus MastCam mosaics of "Bridger Basin," "Hackley Point," and "Police Creek." The rover will wake up early on the morning of Sol 1100 to acquire a big stereo mosaic of the far wall of Bridger Basin, because the illumination will be better early in the morning. Mastcam will also take a 360-degree panorama with the left camera.

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post Sep 9 2015, 06:58 AM
Post #761

Sol 1098 R-NavCam in MS ICE. Stitching at the horizon is poor, but the rest should be OK. Great view.... smile.gif

Link to full size LINK

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 9 2015, 09:59 AM
Post #762

Member No.: 353

The Navcam L panoramic view on Sol 1098.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 9 2015, 01:30 PM
Post #763

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Jan's panorama in circular form - for identification of distant features, this projection puts them at the correct azimuth (roughly - I'm only aligning it by eye here).

Paul - assuming your mosaic work uses manually identified tie points, try to make sure there is one on the horizon at each image overlap, and your horizon will be fixed.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Sep 9 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #764

Member No.: 353

and the Navcam L view on Sol 1099.

Jan van Driel

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 9 2015, 04:15 PM
Post #765

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

and the circular view of the same view on Sol 1099! Great view of the cliffs of Bridger Basin.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post

67 Pages V  « < 49 50 51 52 53 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2024 - 11:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.