Reply to this topicStart new topic
India's Mars probe (MOM), Development, launch, and cruise to Mars
Doug M.
post Jul 30 2013, 11:49 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6511

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 30 2013, 01:36 AM) *
Doug, it's been pointed out to me that I made some errors in the paragraph about the GSLV; I've edited my original post slightly. Sorry about that. (GSLV has had successful flights, though not many; recent failure had to do with a cryogenic upper stage).

This article says that orbit altitude will vary from 385 to 80,000 km, FWIW. That apoapsis is roughly 4 times farther from Mars' center than Deimos' orbit.

Okay! Thanks, Emily.

In theory, Mangalyaan could come fairly close to Deimos. In practice, hoot, who knows. I would imagine that if they arrive in Mars orbit with a little bit of fuel left to play with, a Deimos flyby would at least be discussed.

The gentleman in the article is upset because Mangalyaan is turning out to be more of a technological proof-of-concept than an actual scientific mission. And I can see the force of that. On the other hand, there's precedent; Pathfinder and Sojourner were test beds for lander and rover technology. (As it turned out, they ended up performing much better than expected and delivered some respectable science.)

Doug M.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bobik
post Nov 2 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 6732

MOM Martian orbit parameters:

MOI Epoch: 24-09-2014, 02:34
Periapsis: 365.3 km
Apoapsis: 80000 km
Inclination: 150.0°
AOP: 203.5°
RAAN: 61.4°
Period: 76.72 hr
Sun Elevation: 6.8°

http://www.isro.org/pslv-c25/pdf/pslv-c25-brochure.pdf

+Quote Post
bobik
post Nov 4 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 6732

It seems that the Thermal Infrared Imaging Spectrometer (TIS) has a spectral range of 7-14 μm and a spectral resolution of 580 nm (THEMIS: 6.8-14.9 μm and ~1 μm, respectively). Bhatt et al., 2013

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 4 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #34

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

From the Deccan Herald today:

"“We hope to observe Phobos, but not the other one, Diemos, as it is too tiny,” V Adimurthy, senior adviser of interplanetary missions at Isro, told Deccan Herald."

Too bad - Phobos is very well imaged already, Deimos is poorly covered by images especially at high resolution. We really need to see more of it. Even the shape model is very uncertain on the trailing side. China's ill-fated orbiter launched with Phobos-Grunt was going to look at it (I was told personally by a person involved with it). Maybe we will have to wait for the next Chinese orbiter suggested to fly in 2018.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 5 2013, 02:28 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 5221

Is there a link to the webcast? It's t-7 hours, and the facebook page mentions there will be one, but the ISRO site just shows an old link...

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 5 2013, 03:29 AM
Post #36

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

The website says the webcast will begin at 14:00 IST, which is to say, not for roughly 5 hours.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 5 2013, 03:35 AM
Post #37

I see it now; thanks. Now to wait.
Amazing that a Mars probe can go from first announcement to launch day in only three pages on this of all forums! (not a criticism of anyone, just noting a consequence of the lack of info until the past few weeks)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 5 2013, 03:39 AM
Post #38

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Yeah. I do have to say that they're making up for lost time with their Facebook page. Lots of info and high-resolution photos.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 5 2013, 08:30 AM
Post #39

Spaceflightnow has the stream starting.
Definitely a different vibe on the preshow from NASA press conferences wink.gif

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Nov 5 2013, 09:07 AM
Post #40

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

FYI. I'm finding the mobile video stream from spaceflightnow much more reliable than the desktop feed which was very glitchy for me.

2 mins ...

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Nov 5 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #41

Liftoff!

And coasting...
Hope to see good news tomorrow morning.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 5 2013, 09:10 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 615

Launch!

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Nov 5 2013, 09:48 AM
Post #43

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

So far so good. The liquid fueled fourth stage has ignited. Hopefully everything works...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 5 2013, 12:38 PM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Successfully made initial parking orbit, looking good thus far.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Doug M.
post Nov 6 2013, 08:55 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 6511

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Nov 5 2013, 05:35 AM) *
I see it now; thanks. Now to wait.
Amazing that a Mars probe can go from first announcement to launch day in only three pages on this of all forums! (not a criticism of anyone, just noting a consequence of the lack of info until the past few weeks)

It hasn't attracted a lot of attention in mainstream media, either. I'd say this is one part India having been rather tight-lipped (reasonable, given that it's their first effort and fingers are crossed) and two parts it not fitting any convenient narrative. India launched a Mars probe... wait, India? Huh?

(Prediction: if China's Moon landing succeeds next month, we will see much, much more media coverage. Because that's going to fit a couple of different narratives really well.)

Doug M.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:27 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.