Reply to this topicStart new topic
MOM archival data
Phil Stooke
post Sep 25 2016, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

MOM first year data released.... I'm still waiting to be approved, but others may like to check it out.

http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c25-mars-orbit...on-mom-released

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Sep 26 2016, 08:18 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 25 2016, 09:47 PM) *
MOM first year data released.... I'm still waiting to be approved, but others may like to check it out.
http://www.isro.gov.in/pslv-c25-mars-orbit...on-mom-released
Phil

Thanks a lot Phil ! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
But : "MOM DATA IS AVAILABLE FROM PERIOD 24 SEP 2014 TO 23 SEP 2015 ONLY FOR REGISTERED USERS" wink.gif
With warmest regards (and thanks so much for your daily maps, so much appreciated),
Olivier

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 26 2016, 06:51 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Has anybody here been approved yet? I haven't.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 26 2016, 07:08 PM
Post #4

I have! It took 24 hours. I've been in and looked at images on an image map and from lists of pictures in a lat-long box. The MOC camera gives 32 bit images and I'm still playing with an example. There is a nice PDF showing data coverage for various instruments.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tanjent
post Sep 27 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 628

Despite selecting responses from the registration dropdown menus for country, state, and city I receive the response that the selections are "not valid". Of course, I am not located in Europe or North America. Would-be registrants in those areas may have better luck.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2016, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Administrator

I still haven't gotten access. I've tried logging in with the credentials I signed up with, and clicking on the "Login" button has no effect. I've tried registering with different credentials and after much waiting I get "ERROR in MOM Server!!Please Try Again!!" If anybody out there has managed to get access and is willing to share data and any available metadata with me, I'd appreciate it.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 3 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #7

Well, rather bizarre... I did get in and successfully used map and text searches, just to check it out but without actually downloading anything except a browse image or two. But now I can't get in again.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2016, 10:27 PM
Post #8

Administrator

I was able to log in with a friend's credentials and got a few documents out of the archive, but so far no data. The documents are attached.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  BrowseExportedData.xls ( 396K ) Number of downloads: 1163
Attached File  MCC_EAICD.pdf ( 1.74MB ) Number of downloads: 4570
Attached File  MCC_RAD_AAREADME.txt ( 32.34K ) Number of downloads: 1154
Attached File  MCC_RAW_AAREADME.txt ( 28.75K ) Number of downloads: 1181

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 3 2016, 10:55 PM
Post #9

Administrator

Hey! I am suddenly able to get some data. I'm going to download as much as I can and try to host some of it. I am getting them one image at a time, so it's going to take a while to get the full set. For each image you download, you get the image in a 16-bit version and a 32-bit version, plus documentation and software, so each photo winds up being a 30-50MB download -- no wonder their servers are being hammered.

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 4 2016, 12:57 AM
Post #10

Administrator

So here's the first MOM global image of Mars, taken September 28, 2014. No processing done to the image except levels adjustment to set the color of the south polar clouds to be white.

I've managed to download 150 other images so far, out of the 517 released to date.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 4 2016, 05:26 AM
Post #11

Administrator

Here is a browse page to about 40% of the data, all that I managed to download today. As I write this, the September and October 2014 .IMG files are still uploading, so they're not all in place yet. I'll try to get to the rest of it when I can. Enjoy.
https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/data/mom/mom_mcc.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Oct 5 2016, 01:09 AM
Post #12

Administrator

Look what I found! (I need to do more work to match the Mars colors, I know.) Click to enlarge and animate. This is from 2014-10-07 03:03. It's Phobos, right?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Oct 5 2016, 05:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 5221

It's going faster than Mar's rotation, so it probably is Phobos, good catch! I've already updated my desktop with one of the others global views.

+Quote Post
jccwrt
post Oct 5 2016, 11:28 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 7273

A few processed images:

Full-res

Full-res

Full-res

Full-res
There might be something up with the color profiles - they display fine in Photoshop and Microsoft Photos, but then I get some green color banding when I view them in Chrome. Any ideas?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 6 2016, 02:09 AM
Post #15

Great work everybody!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:15 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.