3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
SABLE-3: an amateur stratospheric balloon flight, Cool Earth images
Rakhir
post Sep 20 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 495

Speaking about solar balloons, these guys are supposed to launch one tomorrow.
http://www.arcaspace.ro/en/home.htm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 20 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #32

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

Attached Image

!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 21 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif ...but that descent chute BETTER work!!!!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Sep 21 2007, 01:00 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 197

Don't worry guys. I have heard rumors that we're going to trade that old craft in for a restored classic model. So no loss if we lose it.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 21 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #35

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Well, do tell! smile.gif Like every other California resident, I live for previews of concept vehicles...hell, in a way, I am a concept vehicle...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Sep 21 2007, 02:54 AM
Post #36

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I've got a Davis VantagePro weather base station that I'd be willing throw into any effort. Couple it with a flash memory datalogger (which would probably survive a hard impact) and you could get temp, pressure, rel humidity weather data all the way up and back.

The whole package weighs in at 830 g.

The batteries might work better if they were thermally isolated. I have no idea how the system would work at very low temperatures and pressures. But that would be easy to check in a laboratory.

-Mike

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Sep 21 2007, 08:10 AM
Post #37

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Juramike @ Sep 21 2007, 03:54 AM) *
I've got a Davis VantagePro weather base station that I'd be willing throw into any effort. Couple it with a flash memory datalogger (which would probably survive a hard impact) and you could get temp, pressure, rel humidity weather data all the way up and back.

Some more adding and we will be fighting for the Google X prize... wink.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Marz
post Oct 4 2007, 04:13 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 482

This is a fun idea to contemplate! I know that there are balloons that can target an altitude, and therefore have some control over where they drift. For example, Space Data uses balloons to create low-budge com "satellites" that drift over target areas. I do not know how much more expensive those balloons are, but it is fun to contemplate a long drift time to accomplish something more interesting than just reaching a high altitude.

Since we have interested members in both North Carolina and California, we could consider longer flight paths? We could organize with amateur radio clubs to help track, and if we need to crash land somewhere remote, there's an active community of "geocachers" who'd love to hunt for something so unique and recover it.

I suppose power supplies would be a problem for such a long flight. Are there light weight solar panels that can power the 8-watt APRS transmitter and TBD science payload? Are there cameras with really long (5+ hour) battery life?

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Oct 4 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 542

Check out this thread:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=4635&hl=

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.