Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Multiply overlapping Mars imagery, Looking for 5 or more images of same spot
elakdawalla
post Sep 24 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

A reader (Bill Green, a retired JPL guy who helped develop MIPL) alerted me to a recent article in IEEE Computer, "Aerial Computer Vision for a 3D Virtual Habitat" (subscription only, I'm afraid) that describes a method that they refer to as the "high overlap paradigm" for developing extremely high-resolution digital elevation models by using many aerial photos from many look angles. I contacted the paper's first author, Franz Leberl, to see if he was interested in attempting to apply his method to images from Mars, and the answer was: Yes, he's very interested. So my question is, where on Mars do we have sets of highly overlapping images? Here's what Leberl said he needed:
For a fully automated process that associates a surface elevation with each pixel, we need 5 or so images of each terrain point. If it is more, that is even better. If you have a focal length and location of the principal point, that would be helpful also. We do not need any data about the camera positions; but if you had such data, we would want to compare our results to those you have. And if you also had previous results in the form of a digital surface model created by traditional two-image stereo, we could use this as well for an analysis and comparison.
Can the hivemind of UMSF help me connect Leberl with the data he would need to make some seriously detailed DTMs?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
tanjent
post Sep 27 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 628

Without having access to the article, couldn't one or more views from a high point be combined with the satellite views? IIRC this was the basis for revised estimates on the height of McCool hill and other topographic features from Spirit's vicinity. I guess the ability to factor in information from the horizon lines might be considered cheating in the problem they set out to solve.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Sep 27 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 132

QUOTE (tanjent @ Sep 27 2010, 10:11 AM) *
...I guess the ability to factor in information from the horizon lines might be considered cheating in the problem they set out to solve.
I wouldn't call it cheating, but I think the objective of using the method is to get 3D images of as much of the martian surface as possible. The rover-visited locals are a drop in that bucket, area-wise. May be good for ground truth testing of the method though.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:38 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.