14 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Onwards to Uranus and Neptune!
ugordan
post Feb 14 2008, 05:25 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 523

I believe trajectory search and optimization software nowadays uses Keplerian orbits and patched conics to find plausible/optimum trajectories (and things like impact parameter or miss distance during flybys) and then when a "conceptual" trajectory is selected, it's precisely worked out by numerical integration and taking into accounts other factors such as solar light pressure, etc. That last part might be iterative and computationally more expensive, but it's all within reach of modern computers.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 14 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #77

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
simonbp
post Feb 17 2008, 08:17 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 1437

This has got me thinking about if you could pull off a Uranus/Neptune Orbiter for less than $850 million...

Aerocapture is obviously the way to go, and the Titan Explorer orbiter seems a good place to start. It masses ~1800 kg wet, while the cruise stage ~1500 kg, mainly fuel. If we drop the balloon and lander, we cut out roughly 2/3 the mass of the cruise stage, giving a payload mass of ~2300 kg. That's about half the mass of TE. The option then is either to use a low-end EELV (Atlas 401, Delta IV sans SRBs, or Falcon 9) for a single launch (more likely), or launch two spacecraft (one Neptune, one Uranus) on an Atlas 551 (much more cost effective, but less likely).

The point is, I don't think it's a given that a ice giant orbiter has to a ridiculously expensive Battlestar Galactica style mission like Cassini. It's just like Mars Sample Return; if you're willing to use new technology (aerocapture and ASTG in this case) and make compromises, you can turn a perpetually paper mission into reality...

Simon wink.gif

+Quote Post
cawest
post Feb 18 2008, 04:35 AM
Post #79

Member No.: 691

QUOTE (vjkane @ Jan 13 2008, 01:12 AM) *
There is the opportunity, brought up in another thread, for a Jupiter > Saturn > Neptune tour with launch opportunities 2016-1018. It could then go on to visit one or more KBOs. A presentation on this opportunity as a New Frontiers candidate was made to a group reviewing the program in November, I think.

An ideal mission would drop a probe into the Saturn atmosphere as well as Neptune. It would also do a close fly-by of Triton. Don't know if the orbital mechanics will allow this and still do the probe relay.

This had me thinking... why can we not have three droppers, one at each? This would make an orbit of Neptune cheaper. How do you ask.. if you drop of a probe into Jupiter, Saturn, and before you make Neptune orbit you have less mass to slow down. what do you all think?

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 18 2008, 08:55 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (cawest @ Feb 18 2008, 05:35 AM) *
you have less mass to slow down.

What about mass you actually need to launch? Does it go down as well?

--------------------

+Quote Post
tasp
post Feb 18 2008, 02:55 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 162

QUOTE (simonbp @ Feb 17 2008, 02:17 PM) *
This has got me thinking about if you could pull off a Uranus/Neptune Orbiter for less than $850 million...

Simon wink.gif

Not to put you off of working through cost savings for interesting mission concepts, but my ideas for a 'cheap' Neptune orbiter were pretty thoroughly discredited and chewed up here a while back . . .

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Feb 18 2008, 05:08 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 590

I think the problem with launching a Neptune and Uranus probe in the same rocket is that the next obvious launch window for that is about 80 years away.

Of course, gravitational assists are complicated beasts; there could well be some complicated sequence that managed to split them up at the right point and get them both to the right places, but it'd be a wonder to behold.

--Greg

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Feb 18 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 321

[...]

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Feb 19 2008, 03:03 AM
Post #84

I thought about that, but I think the trouble is that one of the two is going to get a pretty lousy gravitational assist, and given the distances involved, that seemed like a loser -- and maybe not even enough delta-V to get both to their targets.

And, as you say, every year it gets worse.

--Greg

+Quote Post
cawest
post Feb 19 2008, 04:45 AM
Post #85

Member No.: 691

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 18 2008, 09:55 AM) *
What about mass you actually need to launch? Does it go down as well?

it would be less fuel mass to launch than a reguler orbiter.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Feb 19 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #86

How does that follow? You'd clearly have less mass to launch if you didn't drop anything at the earlier planets.

--Greg

+Quote Post
simonbp
post Feb 20 2008, 06:26 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 1437

Well then drop the second vehicle and fly the one with a faster trajectory. Point is, I still think it's possible to build a very capable New Frontiers-class Neptune Orbiter...

Simon wink.gif

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Feb 21 2008, 12:42 AM
Post #88

I hear you. I'd love to see a serious proposal. Say, starting with $90 M for a Falcon 9 Heavy to put 12 tons in GTO. What can you do with 12 tons in GTO with about $800M to spend on it? And, assuming no other never-before-flown technology.

--Greg

+Quote Post
Big_Gazza
post Feb 21 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #89

Member No.: 547

QUOTE (Greg Hullender @ Feb 21 2008, 11:42 AM) *
$90 M for a Falcon 9 Heavy to put 12 tons in GTO.

Sorry, but i'll believe it only when I see it fly. And even if it ever does, it'll cost way more than 90M.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Feb 21 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #90

QUOTE (Big_Gazza @ Feb 21 2008, 05:14 AM) *
Sorry, but i'll believe it only when I see it fly. And even if it ever does, it'll cost way more than 90M.

Good points, but my question is "taking Falcon 9 Heavy on faith -- but nothing else, does that change the picture? That is, is the launch vehicle cost the only thing that keeps us from having a New Horizons-class Uranus or Neptune orbiter?"

--Greg

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 10:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.