IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL - Stopover on the Road to Glenelg - Arm Commissioning, Commissioning Activity Period 2 - Sols 30 through 37
Deimos
post Sep 6 2012, 11:43 PM
Post #31

Martian Photographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 183

QUOTE (fredk @ Sep 6 2012, 11:36 PM) *
... I haven't noticed any solar filter images from MSL yet.

Neither have I. huh.gif Ah well, good things come to those who wait. (And maybe even to those who pester people until they get good things ...)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 6 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 3978

Speaking of dented wheels, what exactly is the material used for Curiosity's wheels (heavy duty plastic or fiberglass)?

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
nilstycho
post Sep 7 2012, 12:04 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 3912

QUOTE (Doc @ Sep 6 2012, 03:55 PM) *
Speaking of dented wheels, what exactly is the material used for Curiosity's wheels (heavy duty plastic or fiberglass)?

Curiosity’s wheels are aluminum, 20 inches (0.5 meter) in diameter, which is twice the size of the wheels on Spirit and Opportunity. They have cleats for traction and for structural support. Curving titanium spokes give springy support. The wheels were machined by Tapemation, Scotts Valley, Calif. Titanium tubing for the suspension system came from Litespeed Titanium, Chattanooga, Tenn.

Mars Science Laboratory Landing Press Kit

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Sep 7 2012, 12:20 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 13

An anaglyph of the interesting rock:

Attached Image

The piece in the background seems to be the same stuff--maybe it broke off the base piece leaving the relatively fresh surface?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 7 2012, 12:23 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (nilstycho @ Sep 7 2012, 03:04 AM) *

Thanks nilstycho. Aluminium it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 7 2012, 04:50 AM
Post #36

The Insider

Member No.: 73

Contrast and color enhanced to bring out some interesting features. There is definitely some slight greenish tinge present in that rock.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Sep 7 2012, 09:18 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 217

From sadly not a geologist, this looks a bit like andesite which on earth is often associated with tectonics but I noticed on Wikipedia that two meteorites were found with andesite in suggesting another method of producing it, maybe Curiosity has found another example.
I hope we get more information on this rock.
The meteorites in question are numbered GRA 06128 and GRA 06129 found in Alaska.

Roy

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 7 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #38

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

You have to be careful with casual rock identifications. There are two major things that affect an igneous rock's appearance: composition, and the rate at which it cooled. The terminology can be confusing. Basalt, andesite, and rhyolite have very different compositions but can have very similar looking textures because the texture is controlled more by the cooling rate than by composition; those three are the names for the rocks with fine-grained textures. The same magmas would produce gabbro, diorite, or granite (respectively) if allowed to cool more slowly. You can't tell just by looking at a rock from a distance whether it's basalt or andesite. On Earth, most of our oceanic crust is basalt, while most continental crustal rocks have bulk compositions closer to the rhyolite end (very little Mg, Fe, but lots of Al and Si and lighter metals like K and Na), so when you come across a new rock you have to entertain the entire possible range of compositions as possibilities. On Mars, basically everything has a basaltic bulk composition; the safe assumption is that it's basaltic until your chemical analysis instruments (either remote sensing or in situ) tell you otherwise.

To understand how you can make andesitic magmas from basaltic parent rocks, look up "partial melting" and "fractional crystallization." Nobody should make statements about igneous rock composition until you understand what those two terms mean!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Zeke4ther
post Sep 7 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 529

Thanks for that, Emily. I did a search and it was very enlightening. smile.gif

Though the processes would be similar, it made me think just how alien the Martian environment is and how it would effect what we see.

--------------------
-- Robin

+Quote Post
Doc
post Sep 7 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #40

Judging from the size of the crystals, we can safely say that it is intrusive type of igneous. That at least should help identifying (or am I just kidding myself?)

We ought to keep a 'rock photojournal' for this voyage. I used to collect many rocks and id them when still a wee lad. Now its just MD for me sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Don1
post Sep 7 2012, 07:59 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 6536

Olivine is a green mineral.

+Quote Post
Pando
post Sep 7 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #42

The Insider

Member No.: 73

I am curious - would a smaller gravity on Mars have an effect on how the rocks are formed? Most of the assumptions about rock compositions are made based on Earth-based geology, but how closely does it translate to the environment on Mars?

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 7 2012, 09:30 PM
Post #43

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Big crystals do have to form at depth, but you can have rocks with crystals that formed at depth but then the crystals were entrained in a liquid magma that reached the surface & cooled rapidly. (Look up "porphyritic")

The lower gravity doesn't change much, because most rocks form at depth under pressure. What does change is the depths at which certain kinds of rocks form. I was talking with some people who run a rock-squishing lab at APL and they told me their apparatus could crush rocks to the pressures encountered near the core of the Moon, at the base of the mantle of Mercury, but only in the upper mantle of Earth.

The lower air pressure does change the behavior of eruptions. On one end you get Venus where every kind of lava extrudes & doesn't explode; on the other end you get Io, where any trace of gas in a magma violently exsolves upon eruption, causing tall ash plumes. You'd expect volcanism on Mars to be more explosive than volcanism on Earth for that reason.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 7 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Sep 7 2012, 10:30 PM) *
The lower air pressure does change the behavior of eruptions. On one end you get Venus where every kind of lava extrudes & doesn't explode; on the other end you get Io, where any trace of gas in a magma violently exsolves upon eruption, causing tall ash plumes. You'd expect volcanism on Mars to be more explosive than volcanism on Earth for that reason.

A brilliant and succinct explanation! I love the idea of a spectrum ranging from Venus to Io with all the other worlds in between.
Just one thing to add: liquids. Submarine eruptions here can find themselves in a Venus-like pressure regime. The same may once have been true on Mars.

EDIT: Maybe we should add Europa. What are eruptions like at the bottom of that ocean?

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 8 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 15

Considering that Sojourner's APXS identified some of the rocks it examined in Ares Vallis as andesitic, I can understand how someone might look at a basaltic rock on Mars like the one we've been discussing, with such large crystals, and make a preliminary identification of andesite.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:47 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.