Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn Mission, pre-launch disscusion
Guest_Sedna_*
post Sep 30 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #1

Guests

As most of us know, Dawn is set for launch on June, 20th, 2007. A disc is gonna be sent in the spacecraft, with names of many people around the world recorded inside. Does anybody know when is the disc is gonna be put into the spacecraft, and the most realistic tentative date of launch for the mission? Thanks a lot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mars loon
post Oct 3 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 212

QUOTE (Sedna @ Sep 30 2006, 12:16 AM) *
Does anybody know when is the disc is gonna be put into the spacecraft, and the most realistic tentative date of launch for the mission? Thanks a lot.

The deadline for placing your name on the disk is 4 November 2006

You may "Send your name to the Asteroid Belt" at the JPL DAWN website via this online link:

http://www.dawn-mission.org/DawnCommunity/...d/nameEntry.asp

The launch is currently set for 20 June 2007

ken

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 5 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (mars loon @ Oct 3 2006, 07:37 AM) *
The deadline for placing your name on the disk is 4 November 2006

You may "Send your name to the Asteroid Belt" at the JPL DAWN website via this online link:

The launch is currently set for 20 June 2007

ken

Also... The names are being put on a microchip, FYI... I wonder if that chip will be specially made to protect it from cosmic radiation. Kinda sucks if those names last for only a few hundred years, instead of millions of years like the gold records on the Voyager probes smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Oct 5 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (punkboi @ Oct 5 2006, 10:28 AM) *
Also... The names are being put on a microchip, FYI... I wonder if that chip will be specially made to protect it from cosmic radiation. Kinda sucks if those names last for only a few hundred years, instead of millions of years like the gold records on the Voyager probes smile.gif

I'll be sure to roll over in my grave when the copy of my name in the asteroid belt loses a letter.

+Quote Post
lyford
post Oct 5 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 124

"We came in pe2334 fo% a&& #######mankind." smile.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Bart
post Oct 5 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 603

I noticed in the wikipedia entry on Pallas ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Pallas ) that in the section titled "Observations" it says,

Pallas has not yet been visited by a spacecraft, but if the Dawn probe is successful in studying 1 Ceres and 4 Vesta, its mission may be extended to Pallas.

I'm curious about the veracity of that statement. Has somebody actually analyzed this possibility, will Dawn have enough fuel left over, and how long would it take anyway to get from Ceres to Pallas with ion drives?

Bart

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 6 2006, 12:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 198

QUOTE (Bart @ Oct 5 2006, 11:17 PM) *
I noticed in the wikipedia entry on Pallas ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_Pallas ) that in the section titled "Observations" it says,
I'm curious about the veracity of that statement. Has somebody actually analyzed this possibility, will Dawn have enough fuel left over, and how long would it take anyway to get from Ceres to Pallas with ion drives?

This doesn't exactly answer your question, but on the second page of this ACM conference paper about Dawn the authors mention that Pallas although it "resides in the same region of the asteroid belt as Ceres" is "much more difficult to reach". They go to say that "measurements at Pallas" would nevertheless be "highly desirable" but concede that "exploring Vesta and Ceres may be sufficient to bracket the properties of large 'minor' planets".

My guess as to the reason Pallas is regarded as "much more difficult to reach" is it's orbital inclination, which is >30 degrees. By contrast Ceres and Vesta are about 10.5 & 7 degrees respectively.

======
Stephen

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 6 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 535

QUOTE (JRehling @ Oct 5 2006, 02:14 PM) *
I'll be sure to roll over in my grave when the copy of my name in the asteroid belt loses a letter.

Yep, the issue is that important... Even moreso than talking about putting an RTG on the MSL or restoring space science funding tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Myran_*
post Oct 9 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #9

Guests

In reply to Bart:
If they actually will try to visit Pallas I think they rather will attempt to do a flyby when the asteroid passes near the plane of the ecliptic, rather than actually to keep station with Pallas.

But I can be wrong, the ion engine can change course of the spacecraft to a large degree when given time in this case it needs to be nudged into an inclination of 34,8 degrees. Since the ion engine have very little actual power it will take a lot of time however, we need to think in a timeframe of years.

+Quote Post
Bart
post Oct 9 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 603

Myran: That actually makes a lot of sense. Given the similarity in the semi-major axes of the two asteroids, this would only take a modest delta-V. Even getting just a flyby of Pallas would be a major bonus.

I was playing around with the asteroid orbit tools at http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/ and it looks like the flyby would occur in the neighborhood of December 2018. There is an earlier opportunity at the descending node around March 2016, but I don't think that gives Dawn enough time to switch orbits.

I'm really excited about this mission! Only five years until Vesta orbit!

Bart

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 10 2006, 03:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 385

Fresh news about the Dawn's project status. A bit interesting detail: it is going to have a pair solar panels of close 9 meters each! Versus 4 meters each of MRO and 2 meters of VEX. It will carry about 425, kilograms of Xenon for ion propulsors, -- more than enough to allow it to travel to and orbit its targets ohmy.gif So heavy! Besides, it will carry 12 mini-propulsores based of hydrazine in two independent systems consisting of 6 ones as a backup. Each subsystem has about 45 kg of fuel hydrazine. On the other hand, it will carry as many electrical reaction wheels.

So redudant is the altitude control system. They have learned lessons from the missfortune of Hayabusa.

Main source comes from spacedaily.com :Dawn Spacecraft Assembly...

Dawn Mission Home Page

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Oct 10 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 495

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Oct 10 2006, 05:11 PM) *
Fresh news about the Dawn's project status. A bit interesting detail: it is going to have a pair solar panels of close 9 meters each! Versus 4 meters each of MRO and 2 meters of VEX.

To complete the examples, each solar panel of Rosetta is 14-metres long (32 metres tip-to-tip).

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Oct 11 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #13

Guests

I just noticed that the latest issue (October 2006) of the Dawn's Early Light newsletter is online.

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Oct 12 2006, 02:31 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 385

Additional details about Ceres

Now new images of its surface reveal a surprisingly diverse surface terrain, scientists say. Dark and bright spots in the images might be crater impacts, mineral deposits or the effects of space weathering, said Mr Carry.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6037844.stm

The Keck results also support Ceres' suspected oblate shape, which scientists say could be the result of as much as 25% water ice in its mantle. If so, the amount may be greater than all the fresh water on Earth. Nasa reinstates Dawn mission "We think Ceres still contains pristine water from when the Solar System was formed," said Dr Dumas.

Planet with lots of water, hence a very cold dwarf planet which has not enough own internal heat to sublimate away the water. blink.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 3 2006, 02:02 PM
Post #15

Guests

Looks like too many people want to send their name ...

huh.gif

+Quote Post

27 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:18 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.