Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jun 21 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #47

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Based on MSL's monster-truck-like aspects, I'm thinking "Marsasaurus"... cool.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 22 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #48

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 21 2007, 12:08 PM) *
They can call it BunwhacketbuzzardstoppingQWalrusTitty for all I care - as long as it works smile.gif

It will only be given a name like *that* if they give the naming rights to Monty Python... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

edit -- serves me right for responding to a post at the bottom of a page before looking at the next page... sad.gif

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 22 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #49

Member No.: 15

Now, opening up the Rocky and Bullwinkle universe for naming gives you *tons* of possibilities.

For example -- for a pair of spacecraft, Boris and Natasha would work quite well. For a single spacecraft, you could anything from Peter Peachfuzz to Fearless Leader -- or even the enigmatic "J." And, of course, a high-latitude landing site would be Frostbite Falls.

And what would the mission be? Well, it's obvious -- "Follow the Upsydasium!"

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

"Hey, Rocky -- watch me pull phyllosilicate clays out of my hat!"

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jun 22 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #50

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

'Crushinator' could be good.

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Jun 22 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 22 2007, 08:27 AM) *
'Crushinator' could be good.

You beat me to it. But as long as it doesn't act like Malfunctioning Eddie, I'll be happy.

Andy

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Jun 22 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 285

I'd back Serenity or Heinlein or Feynman as names. Let me throw in "Zoidberg". Space exploration can be fun too smile.gif

Unfortunately they'll probably end up letting some kid who thinks Mars is a candy bar pick some lame name, probably after one of the Teletubbies sad.gif

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 22 2007, 02:40 PM
Post #53

Member No.: 132

I guess Bigfoot is taken. sad.gif

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jun 22 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #54

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Oh come on, that's not fair at all. smile.gif Having a contest to name a Mars rover is, more than likely, going to automatically eliminate kids who "think Mars is a candy bar". After all, a kid with the initiative to goto nasa.gov or planetary.org is way ahead of the curve. I think the last kid to name Mars rovers did a fantastic job, and was very prophetic with the names. Just think of the names for a second:

Spirit

Opportunity

What better names could we choose for these two? Spirit, that had to fight wheel and solar panel up a mountain to find evidence of water? Opportunity, which found not one, not two, but three craters with outcrops and blueberries?

(Shoot, I get teary-eyed just thinking about all they've done and survived so far.)

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jun 22 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #55

Guests

How about Ark III?

Of course, fans of 1970s TV will recall the six-wheeled mobile laboratory Ark II.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jun 23 2007, 05:37 AM
Post #56

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Jun 22 2007, 02:07 PM) *
How about Ark III?

Yikes! Makes me think of MSL as host to a menagerie
of Earthly microbes. Don't like the sound of that.

+Quote Post
MarsIsImportant
post Jun 24 2007, 01:53 AM
Post #57

Member No.: 1503

After seeing the size of the rover scarecrow, it should have a large instrument package on top when it lands (let's hope it is all there after it lands). The rover team should have a lot of fun with all those gadgets. Since its mission will be scientific analysis, I propose to name the Mars rover, "Inspector".

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jun 24 2007, 02:01 AM
Post #58

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

As in Inspector Gadget? biggrin.gif

(That's what I think of.)

"Go-go, gadget Chemistry & Mineralogy X-Ray Diffraction/X-Ray Fluorescence Instrument!"

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Jun 24 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #59

Member No.: 535

"Dumb" and "Dumber" would've been a good name if both MERs didn't land safely on the red planet.

Or "Itchy and Scratchy" if you want to honor The Simpsons... biggrin.gif

"Big Bertha" is my choice for MSL...in honor of the giant howitzer used by the, um, Germans in WWI, the line of golf clubs...and that lady wrestler who pummeled Al Bundy in one episode of "Married with Children." It's been gone for 10 years and I still love watching reruns of that TV show. tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
monty python
post Jun 24 2007, 04:59 AM
Post #60

Member No.: 692

Even though Married With Children IS one of the greatest shows ever made, it can't be Big Bertha. A large rock at a previous lander location had its name changed from big bertha to big joe because the former was seen as sexist.

Perhaps a two word name; the first being an innocuous human name and the second some kind of snake representing the long set of wheel tracks it leaves. smile.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:24 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.