IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Logos
SkyeLab
post Oct 4 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 101

WOW!! Nice one Doug............... , nearly fell off my chair when I logged on....

Brian

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
14 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 99)
djellison
post Oct 4 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It all began 50 years ago today. We couldn't let that milestone go un-marked, and hence until Jan 4th ( the 50th anniv of Sputnik 1's re-entry) we will be wearing a celebratory logo.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Oct 4 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #3

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

very nice! though from the colour scheme it looks like we're mourning wink.gif

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Oct 4 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1241

Unexpected and beautiful!

I spoke with my father last night (he is 91) and we both recalled going out for several weeks and trying to see sputnik during those chilly fall nights 50 years ago! I don't recall ever seeing anything (I guess only the booster was visible since sputnik was only a foot or two across), but I do remember one night when he took me outside and we both saw Echo (200 foot mylar like beach ball) fly over the house just when the paper said it would !

thanks Doug

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 4 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #5

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Nice work Doug, looks distinct.
Happy Aniversary Travelling Companion!
And thank you, both, Sputnik and Ellison, for gathering us all! smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
ddeerrff
post Oct 4 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 251

Nice, but it took me a while to find it. It only appears on the "Pro" skin, and I am set to use the default.

+Quote Post
SkyeLab
post Oct 4 2007, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 101

Doug,

I was wondering if you are going to do some commemorative merchandise for the shop based on the new ( if transient) logo?

Cheers

Brian

--------------------
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary code, and those who don't."

+Quote Post
The Messenger
post Oct 4 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 460

QUOTE (remcook @ Oct 4 2007, 08:01 AM) *
very nice! though from the colour scheme it looks like we're mourning wink.gif

...everything was black and white then...except for Disneyland and Dorothy

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 4 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #9

Founder

QUOTE (ddeerrff @ Oct 4 2007, 03:49 PM) *
It only appears on the "Pro" skin, and I am set to use the default.

Yup - that was the plan all along. The pro-skin is now the forum default - and the older skin remains as a legacy for people who don't like the font of the new skin. What I hope to do is generate a second version of the Pro skin with the font of the old skin, so the option actually just becomes between two fonts.

I don't intend to sell anything with the logo on -it's just a temporary marker and the hassle involved in getting new CafePress stuff sorted far exceeds any returns from sales.

Doug

+Quote Post
lyford
post Oct 4 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 124

Very clean and classy look, Doug! The new color scheme seems easier to read and navigate. It also feels rather more upscale, and I think I will have to behave myself when I am in here. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
Decepticon
post Oct 4 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 114

It's about time for a fresh look.

Looks great. smile.gif

+Quote Post
helvick
post Oct 4 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #12

Dublin Correspondent

Group: Admin
Member No.: 220

Wow - very nice. I second Brian's suggestion - some merchandise would be good, I need a couple of new T-Shirts smile.gif .

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Oct 4 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 4 2007, 05:34 AM) *
until Jan 4th ( the 50th anniv of Sputnik 1's re-entry) we will be wearing a celebratory logo.

After that you can rotate it 90 degrees to represent the UMSF balloon.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 4 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #14

Guests

Waaw, I was amazed when I first saw the webpage... Great initiative!
Happy Birthday Sputnik!

+Quote Post
punkboi
post Oct 4 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 535

Nice forum logo. And Happy Birthday to Sputnik (and me)! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reckless
post Oct 4 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 217

Very nice especially the top banner.
A happy sputniki birthday to all.
smile.gif Roy

+Quote Post
nprev
post Oct 5 2007, 12:09 AM
Post #17

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

What a nice surprise, and a perfectly fitting tribute...very well done, Doug! smile.gif

PB: Way to choose a birthday, you sly dog! laugh.gif Hope we're on Mars when you hit the big five-oh...

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 5 2007, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 198

OK, I guess it's up to me to play dissenter then.

While I like the new logo--and a well done is definitely in order there--I much prefer the previous colour scheme. It was much easier on the eye and (just MHO) distinctive. Also as someone else pointed it looks like the forum is in mourning.

Space may well be black (although the forum's new colour scheme looks more a kind of greenish-black than the jet black variety; but maybe that's just my own eyes), but I'm not sure that black is an appropriate colour for a forum with a subjet-matter like this one when the era we live in is one where money for unmanned spaceflight is so hard to come by and missions are either suffering cutbacks (eg MSL) or are not happening at all (eg the NASA's promised follow-up missions to next year's lunar orbiter, not to mention the perennial bridesmaid which keeps being left behind at the altar: the Europan orbiter). And all the more so if you tie that colour to Sputnik. It could be construed to imply that the Sputnik era was the dead pinnacle of unmanned space exploration we're all in mourning for rather than just the beginning of a bright new era in human accomplishment. That is, as if we're looking back toward a dead utopia rather than looking forward (and with hope) towards the future.

Just my two cents.

=====
Stephen

+Quote Post
CosmicRocker
post Oct 5 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 116

Ok, here is my space age rant, FWIW. This is without a doubt one of the most important space anniversaries we have had to celebrate in recent times. It truly is worthy of reflection now that it is 50 years later. As a civilisation, we probably could have advanced further into space exploration and space mobility than we have over the past half century, but the Sputnik program was beyond any doubt, the beginning marker of the space age and the subsequent space race. It essentially sparked the creation of NASA, and ultimately all the other national space agencies. It is a bit early to comment on the private space enterprises, but we've certainly come quite a long way since the early days.

One can argue that we should be further along with the agenda by now, but as we look at the great variety of exploratory missions that our species has recently launched, and are currently controlling, I look back at the collective enterprise as quite an outstanding accomplishment for our planet's diverse nations. I think we can all feel proud, and thank the Sputnik creators for kick-starting the whole thing.

As I think back on my personal experiences from 50 years ago, they very much parallel those described by PDP8E. I was 7 years old that day, and I remember my Dad taking me outside at night to see if we might see the satellite pass overhead. We didn't see it, but we did watch the evening or nighttime news, where we heard television broadcasts of the audible signal from the satellite. It was a special day for me, and one that turned me into a space exploration enthusiast 50 years ago. wink.gif On a later date, we did go out to see the Echo satellite pass overhead, which also turned me into a satellite hunter. My dad gave me a 1x1 inch sample of the metallicized Mylar material used in the "beach ball" before we went out and saw that artificial satellite pass overhead. That pretty much cemented my interest in space.

As an international community, we all need to find ways to instill the wonders of space into the minds of our children.

--------------------
...Tom

I'm not a Space Fan, I'm a Space Exploration Enthusiast.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 08:19 AM
Post #20

Founder

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 02:43 AM) *
Just my two cents.

My 2 pence in reply - you're SERIOUSLY over analyising it by about 20 orders of magnitude.

The criteria are quite simple.
1) Is derived from the default
2) Doesn't look like complete crap. (A bit like crap is fine)

Here is the exact thought process that went on to come to the new logo
  • Right..that's the upgrade for Invision 2.3 done. Oh - a new default forum skin.
  • That's nice - a bit more 'sensible' that the light blue colours. I'll have to do what I did last time and make a UMSF banner derived from the Invision banner.
  • Oh - October 4th isn't far away - I'll save it till then and put Sputnik in instead of the logo for a while.
  • Oh crap - it's the 4th already....and I'm on a train...let's have a think about this Sputniks round.....0 is round..... 5=0 That'll work.
  • Lunch time at work .... 'Josh - what do you think of this?' 'Nice!' 'I thought so as well - now what the hell is CSS again?'
Finished. If you're trying to invoke some sort of deep rooted subversive commentary on the status of exploration of space...you SERIOUSLY need to lighten up. I am not, for instance, about to look at the extension lead I'm using and go :

'hmm - a red led on it - suggestive of 'stop' and 'evil' - infering the suggestion that using too much electricity is a bad thing that contributes detrimentally to the state of our climate and counters my responsibility as a member of the global commuinty to be as low impact as I can and furthermore, by buying the cheapest extension lead I could find, I am funding the evil capitalist exploitation of low wage far eastern factory workers that once more, is damning of my efforts to be a globally social and environmentally responsible human...'

...no - it's just an LED - like that's just a logo, made in the laziest way possible.

The basic premise of always having the default skin with a tweaked banner is that as I'm not a code monkey ( as I've said about 1.6x10^58 times before) - I do know how to add skins to the forum, but I occasionally need the Invision tech support guys help . So I want to keep the forum as 'default' as possible to make the ammount of effort involved in maintaining it as minimal as possible.

If someone asked me what I thought the logo looked like I'd go 'Quite nice, simple, clean, a bit corporate perhaps, but nothing wrong with a bit of professionalism'

The theme's staying. If you want to use the old one - the option is there at the bottom left of every single page for you to select which one you want to use - but the old theme is designed around Invision 2.1 - and we're on Invision 2.3 - so compatability issues may exist.

If someone want's to make an Invision 2.3 theme all of their own - I'll happily install it - but the default theme will always be the default as installed with Invision...simply because, as a great guy once said - better is the enemy of good enough.

Doug

+Quote Post
mchan
post Oct 5 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 476

I like it. It's minimalist, but I like minimalist in this case.

+Quote Post
Stephen
post Oct 5 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 198

For those who feel inclined it is possible to compare the new look with the old look using Google's cached pages.

For example, here's the front page in the old look..

A few notes:

1) The lineup of the planets in the new logo is rather harder to make out than in the old one. To make the lineup standout better I would suggest either lightening the shade of black used in it or brightening the outlines of the planets. Or if the lineup no longer matters any more (and maybe it doesn't; Sputnik did, of course, only go round and round, as opposed to go outward bound) then alternately drop the lineup altogether.

2) I notice there are still nine planets in the logo's lineup. Was that a subtle message of defiance to the IAU? smile.gif Or merely an artifact of the speed with which the new llogo was designed? :-(

3) The icons marking the subforums look slightly larger than the old ones, but I presume that is just an optical illusion.

4) Quotation mark icons have replaced the "IPB" icons. I take it this to be just a feature of the new Invision version. That said, if you look closely at the old version the non-IPB icons (those with backward "L"--or whatever that corner icon thingie is) in fact have an "IPB" inside of them. The new ones have a slightly larger backward "L" but no "IPB" or quote mark.

5) Looks like the text font used has been altered also. If you compare "Front Page Stories" in the two versions, for example, you will notice that the letters are slightly more widely spaced in the old version than in the new, which have a slightly more "squashed" look, which is more obviously a variable size font than the old one. If the font used for the message text has also changed then that potentially can play havoc with certain things like user sigs. (Like, well, um, mine for example.)

6) The "5" in the logo looks noticably larger than the (filled in) "O". But I presume this is just an optical illusion too.

But of course I guess I'm just "over analyzing" again. Best of luck with the new schema.

=====
Stephen

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 1638

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 12:37 PM) *
For those who feel inclined it is possible to compare the new look with the old look using Google's cached pages.

For example, here's the front page in the old look..

Both versions look identical to me -- it is best to grab screenshots for comparative studies. If you don't like the color scheme, just override it within your browser. Here is how I see the forum:

Attached Image

In fact, that's the way I've always viewed the forum (and every other website, for that matter). I personally could not give a rat's about the way websites look; I'm only interested in the content. smile.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #24

Founder

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 12:37 PM) *
But of course I guess I'm just "over analyzing" again.

ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 12:02 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 5 2007, 06:35 AM) *
One can argue that we should be further along with the agenda by now, but as we look at the great variety of exploratory missions that our species has recently launched, and are currently controlling, I look back at the collective enterprise as quite an outstanding accomplishment for our planet's diverse nations. I think we can all feel proud, and thank the Sputnik creators for kick-starting the whole thing.

Amen to that!

As I think back on my personal experiences from 50 years ago, they very much parallel those described by PDP8E. I was 7 years old that day, and I remember my Dad taking me outside at night to see if we might see the satellite pass overhead.

In celebration, I watched the movie October Sky last night, one of my all-time favorites -- very evocative. As you were there, would you say it captured the feelings of the era accurately?

As an international community, we all need to find ways to instill the wonders of space into the minds of our children.

Indeed we do! Being envious about their future is silly and unproductive. smile.gif

--------------------
"I got a call from NASA Headquarters wanting a color picture of Venus. I said, “What color would you like it?” - Laurance R. Doyle, former JPL image processing guy

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Oct 5 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 424

QUOTE (Stephen @ Oct 5 2007, 07:37 AM) *
1) The lineup of the planets in the new logo is rather harder to make out than in the old one. To make the lineup standout better I would suggest either lightening the shade of black used in it or brightening the outlines of the planets.

I second the request for increasing the contrast between the outlines of the planets and the background.

In fact I was about to post a reply saying that I don't see any planets at all, but by carefully adjusting the angle of the screen and twisting my head back and forth, I can just barely tell that they're there. The planets still don't register unless I consciously look for them.

The 50/sputnik logo is wonderful; good work.

TTT

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 5 2007, 03:17 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 132

I am amazed by this whole discussion. I come to this site for the CONTENT not the garnish.
I don't know what skin I was using before -- for me the main change has been from a light
blue scheme to a gray. I find both simple, pleasant, and NON-DISTRACTING from the content.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Oct 5 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Oct 5 2007, 08:20 AM) *
I second the request for increasing the contrast between the outlines of the planets and the background.

OK, I do have to agree with this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 5 2007, 03:42 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Oct 5 2007, 01:20 PM) *
In fact I was about to post a reply saying that I don't see any planets at all, but by carefully adjusting the angle of the screen and twisting my head back and forth, I can just barely tell that they're there. The planets still don't register unless I consciously look for them.

I think you guys either need to calibrate your displays (LCD?) or buy better ones. wink.gif
I'm using a low-end shadow-mask CRT that cost all of £20 new, yet the planet outlines are very obvious. Very nice job on the logo.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Oct 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #30

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Oct 5 2007, 04:17 PM) *
I am amazed by this whole discussion.

My thought too...although I would like to see fresh flowers everyday on the top right corner... tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 5 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #31

Founder

Previously someone asked about the numbers of planets in the line up. Until someone recalls the two Pioneer spacecraft and etches out Pluto on their plaques (for that is where they, and the normal logo come from) then it will remain as it is smile.gif

Dou

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 6 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #32

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (Del Palmer @ Oct 5 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Being envious about their future is silly and unproductive. smile.gif

I find it very productive actually, and I suspect others here do too. Being envious of what the youngsters of today will see and do in their future is the main driving force behind all the Outreach work I do in schools, and also behind writing the children's space books I've written: I want to make sure they appreciate the opportunities they'll have and the wonders they'll see, and don't just lose themselves in an apathetic world of iPods, gangsta-rap and celebrity worship. I can't tell them what it WAS like to fly into space because I haven't done it myself, but I can tell them what events will happen, eventually, in their future, and encourage them to be a part of that future, an active part and not just an armchair observer.

When I stand in front of a classroom packed with over 100 7 and 8 year olds, and take them on my "Tour of the Solar System", and show them how when they grow up people will be walking on the Moon again, and walking on Mars for the first time, am I thinking "Won't that be great?" You bet. Am I also scanning the faces of the kids around me and wondering "Will it be YOU doing that for real one day?" Absolutely. Am I growling inside, thinking "You lucky, lucky *****s, you'll get to see things I have dreamed about for years"? Damn right. But it's that jealousy and enthusiasm that I hope - and I'm told - helps make my talks in schools so useful, because the message is a positive one. A jealous one, yes, guilty as charged, but in that I think I'm no different to many people here, or to people in previous ages who've wished they could see the next generation of racing cars, or fighter aircraft, or musicians or sportsmen or etc etc...

Somewhere, right now, there's a kid who'll grow up to become the first person to stand on the edge of Valles Marineris and peer down at its floor. I hate him or her and am jealous of them for that, sure, but not in a vindictive way.

Envious? Fair enough. Silly? Don't think so.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Oct 6 2007, 11:14 AM
Post #33

That's interesting, Stu. I've also given talks at local schools (spurred on by encouragement via e-mail from David Levy) but I only ever talk about the past and present. My talks are driven by the excitement of what we've learned and our current exploits. The future is not something I ever think about. As a consequence, I'm not envious at all. Not sure why I am "future-blind"; is it a blessing or a curse? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 6 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #34

The Poet Dude

Member No.: 60

Good to hear of someone else doing schools Outreach Del! smile.gif Personally, I can't imagine going into a school and giving a talk without mentioning what those kids could do in the future. I like to leave a school thinking that I've maybe helped inspire just a couple of the little monsters young children enough to make them at least want to find out more on their own, or maybe think seriously about how they might go into space, or science, when older. I also shine a spotlight on what we've achieved, and are doing today, but I can't imagine not discussing the plans to send people to the Moon and Mars, or land probes on Europa, or one day take images of Earth-like worlds orbiting distant stars... If you don't talk about the future, it's just history and current affairs.

Different when I talk to a U3A or WIDENING HORIZONS group - all retired people - because chances are rather slim that they'll ever "grow up" to walk on the Moon wink.gif but with a school class or a church hall full of Brownies or Scouts or whatever I feel a kind of obligation to try and get them excited about the possibilities in their future, and maybe help give them something else to think about instead of hanging around street corners listening to 50 Cent on their mobile phones and secretly swigging cider out of Coke cans... biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Oct 9 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 759

I like the new design, it IS a significant anniversary worth marking, and I was pleased to see some recollections from the few of us old enough to actually recall the event.

Here, for anyone interested, is my take on Sputnik and the first 50 years of the space age, as it appeared in The Herald newspaper, Glasgow, last week. To test the observant and the knowledgeable, there is a small error re Laika.

The Herald on Sputnik at 50

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 8 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #36

Guests

Great to see the Sputnik logo is still 'alive & kicking' wink.gif
What will be the next Unmanned spacecraft in the logo ( Echo 1 ) ???

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 8 2008, 07:24 PM
Post #37

Founder

There are plans.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 19 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Ha! biggrin.gif 100,000 posts, I take it? Congratulations, Doug!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2008, 02:31 PM
Post #39

Founder

Kudos to Astro0 who has been my banner-logo guru for a long time - we've got a conjunction special for the next couple of weeks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Doc
post Nov 30 2008, 02:40 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 3978

How fitting, good call Doug, I was wondering when you were going to change the logo;-)

--------------------
We talk of nothing but Curiosity here
Follow me on twitter or Google +

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 30 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #41

Founder

It's all Astro0's doing - suddenly my inbox will have a pertinent, stylish logo in it :0

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 30 2008, 07:49 PM
Post #42

No offense to Astro0, but when it first popped up I tried to brush whatever it was off my monitor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 1 2008, 12:03 AM
Post #43

Member No.: 4270

Is everyone ready for a completely ignorant question? ^_^

... what exactly is it?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2008, 01:00 AM
Post #44

Merciless Robot

The Sun between Mars & Earth.

I like it! smile.gif Thanks, Astro0 & Doug.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 1 2008, 02:52 AM
Post #45

QUOTE (nprev @ Nov 30 2008, 07:00 PM) *
The Sun between Mars & Earth.

Ohh... will it be changed after conjunction is over?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Dec 1 2008, 02:55 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 615

Shortly after conjunction we will be in the lead up to the 5th anniversary for the twin Rovers.
Keep an eye out for a new addition the banner. smile.gif

Not long after that, UMSF reaches 5 years!!!
Astro0

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 1 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #47

Guests

Another great logo and we're already looking forward to the next and to an amazing 5th anniversary !!!!!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 1 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #48

Guests

Take a look at the logos of the planets on the cover of this 1983 NASA-JPL publication:

+Quote Post
climber
post Dec 1 2008, 06:37 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 682

Doug, you may be want to change the forum's name to UnMARSned Spaceflight mars.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 2 2008, 02:27 AM
Post #50

Merciless Robot

What the hell is that little symbol out from Pluto? Eris? rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Patteroast
post Dec 2 2008, 03:22 AM
Post #51

Member No.: 397

Looks like after Pluto they have a comet symbol.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 2 2008, 04:12 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 15

All I can say is that I'm glad when someone notes here when the logo is changed on the IP.Board Pro skin, since I find that skin rather ugly and never use it, and would never see the new logos unless someone pointed them out (at which time I switch skins for a minute to see them).

The logo on the IPB 2.2.0 Default skin that I vastly prefer still reads "1500 Sols," and while I know I'm likely the only guy who prefers this skin and am not asking for that logo to be updated on this skin when it's changed on the Pro skin, it's nice that I can get some notice when the main skin is updated so I can at least switch over and take a look, before going back to my preferred skin.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 2 2008, 04:18 PM
Post #53

Founder

With the upgrade to Invision 3, you will have to say good bye to the legacy skin I'm afraid - it just makes no sense to spend the time to make it work.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Dec 2 2008, 04:31 PM
Post #54

Member No.: 15

Oh, I understand. I'm thankful that I've been able to use this skin as long as I have (Verdana being my font of choice for more than 10 years, now, far predating this forum).

But, and I think I speak for most everyone here, in the final analysis, it's not the font and colors that keep me coming back to UMSF. It's the content, and that content is, pardon the expression, color-blind... smile.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 2 2008, 05:54 PM
Post #55

Member No.: 530

I thought I'd stick with Verdana as well, but I moved to the newer skin sometime in the past and have forgotten how it was easier to read words like nihilism and philistine. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Del Palmer
post Dec 2 2008, 06:11 PM
Post #56

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Dec 2 2008, 04:31 PM) *
Oh, I understand. I'm thankful that I've been able to use this skin as long as I have (Verdana being my font of choice for more than 10 years, now, far predating this forum).

Have you considered using the font override function in your browser? I also have overrides set for colors etc. and see no difference between the skins, apart from the logo...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 18 2009, 09:40 AM
Post #57

Guests

A superb MER Sol 2000 logo ... pancam.gif

cool.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 18 2009, 03:17 PM
Post #58

Merciless Robot

Most cool indeed!!!! smile.gif Is this another Astro0 original?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 18 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #59

Founder

As ever biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Aug 18 2009, 09:41 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 678

Yes! A very cool surprise just after woke up and clicking on the forum title to refresh it wink.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
alan
post Nov 29 2009, 09:42 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 110

Love the new logo. wheel.gif

+Quote Post
mhoward
post Nov 29 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 98

It's excellent as usual. Go Spirit!

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 29 2009, 10:03 PM
Post #63

Merciless Robot

Right on!!!:)) Nice work, Astro0 & Doug.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Nov 29 2009, 10:26 PM
Post #64

Founder

All Astro0's work - I just pin them up smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 3 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #65

Merciless Robot

Banner's lookin' sweet, Astro0! smile.gif

EDIT: Fun idea- any chance of posting a gallery of past UMSF banners for nostalgic purposes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 4 2010, 10:46 AM
Post #66

nprev, these are all the banners I could find on my harddrive.
Not sure about the order.
Attached Image

The very shortlived 'cake' version was some of the admins mucking about for Doug's birthday.

+Quote Post
tasp
post Jan 4 2010, 04:28 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 162

Hey thanks for that blast from the past !!

Did not recall them changing so often.

Funny how they are all more excellent than the rest . . . . . . .

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 13 2010, 09:03 AM
Post #68

Merciless Robot

Astro0 strikes again!!! biggrin.gif A great-looking & fitting tribute to one hell of a milestone by the toughest little rover to ever chew up regolith.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 13 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #69

Member No.: 5221

The site is on archive.org too, if anyone wants to see them for themselves, going back almost all the way to the start of the domain.

By the way, what's with http://mer.rlproject.com/ ?

It seems to have been taken over...

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 13 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #70

Founder

I let the rlproject.com domain go - no point spending £/year maintaining it when I didn't use it any more.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Mar 13 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #71

Domain squatters.

EDIT: actually that appears to be a domain error message in Japanese, so that must be where Doug's discount hosting company was located.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 17 2010, 05:35 PM
Post #72

Merciless Robot

This new banner looks really nice, Astro0; GO HAYABUSA!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post May 18 2010, 02:29 AM
Post #73

Seconded!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 18 2010, 05:46 AM
Post #74

Remember that you can always buy the t-shirt wink.gif
http://www.cafepress.com.au/planetaryshop.441600448

It helps the outreach work of The Planetary Society.

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 9 2010, 09:22 PM
Post #75

Member No.: 682

Astro0 hit again...

--------------------

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Sep 9 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 221

Any chance that when you click on the logo in the banner it can link to the prime thread about the subject of the banner?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 10 2010, 12:22 AM
Post #77

Founder

Nope. It's coded into invision as a link to the 'home' url of the forum.

+Quote Post
eoincampbell
post Sep 10 2010, 04:49 AM
Post #78

Member No.: 3511

Yeah! Some proper EPOXI limelight! (Good luck team)

--------------------
'She drove until the wheels fell off...'

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 16 2010, 01:56 PM
Post #79

Merciless Robot

Better late then never, I guess...sweet logo, Astro0! smile.gif

BTW, UMSF travel advisory: There are many parts of Okinawa that utterly lack Internet connectivity, specifically my in-laws' house & surrounding environs. rolleyes.gif I'll be back to my frequent inane postings from Los Angeles next week...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 16 2010, 02:29 PM
Post #80

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I thought things had been refreshingly quiet around here!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 16 2010, 02:53 PM
Post #81

Merciless Robot

Watch it, Map Boy! tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 16 2010, 06:53 PM
Post #82

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Sorry Sir.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 25 2010, 05:02 AM
Post #83

Merciless Robot

Astro0--sweet!!! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
hendric
post Nov 29 2010, 05:13 PM
Post #84

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

Man, you guys sure spoil us!

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
charborob
post Dec 13 2010, 05:07 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 3908

Anybody notice the new forum logo?

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Dec 13 2010, 10:24 PM
Post #86

Yep -- Looks nice, too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 14 2010, 04:29 AM
Post #87

Merciless Robot

Yeah, this one is really nice...killer work, Astro0!

Just out of curiosity, what are you using to make these banners? My last experience with this kind of stuff (years ago) involved Macromedia Fireworks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Dec 14 2010, 12:39 PM
Post #88

It's just Photoshop smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Jan 3 2011, 04:48 AM
Post #89

Very nice, on the 7 yr logo.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 3 2011, 04:51 AM
Post #90

Merciless Robot

A beauty to be sure! smile.gif

Seven years...man...tempis fugit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 9 2011, 04:16 AM
Post #91

How long has the forum logo been 3D?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 9 2011, 04:35 AM
Post #92

QUOTE (Hungry4info @ Feb 8 2011, 08:16 PM) *
How long has the forum logo been 3D?

About 15 minutes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 9 2011, 04:54 AM
Post #93

The 3D UMSF@7 banner will only be up for a few days as there is another big event happening NExT week wink.gif

TIP: Wearing your 3D glasses also take a look at the banner from the far left or right (ie: the screen angled away from you)

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 9 2011, 05:37 AM
Post #94

Founder

OMG It's like you're ACTUALLY THERE. smile.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 9 2011, 05:37 AM
Post #95

Merciless Robot

A trip indeed; thanks, Astro0! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 9 2011, 05:43 AM
Post #96

QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 9 2011, 04:37 PM) *
OMG It's like you're ACTUALLY THERE. smile.gif

Ah, I hope you ARE actually there/here Doug! laugh.gif

BTW, the banner idea was inspired by Stu's great anaglyphs.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 9 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #97

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Haha, nice one! Just don't look at it too long without glasses. Feeling dizzy now tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gsnorgathon
post Feb 9 2011, 09:35 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 156

Doug, you just freakin' made my freakin' day. Really. Thank you.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post Feb 10 2011, 12:47 AM
Post #99

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Feb 9 2011, 10:35 PM) *

I just noticed it too. Cool.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 11 2011, 06:19 AM
Post #100

QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Feb 9 2011, 01:35 PM) *

Astro0 deserves most of the kudos for this.

--------------------

+Quote Post

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 07:19 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.