Reply to this topicStart new topic
Deimos images, Viking and others
elakdawalla
post Dec 23 2009, 03:53 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Hi folks, as I've been working on this advent calendar thing I thought it'd be fun to dig into the Viking archive on Deimos and make my own color composite (since Viking is, as far as I know, the only mission that's gotten views on anything other than the Mars-facing hemisphere). The data is quite a bit more gnarly than I anticipated. Thanks to Peter Masek's VikingOrbiterView software though I have put together a montage of all the halfway decent Viking Orbiter images of Deimos, and I thought you guys would enjoy. Attached also is a color composite from a set taken at random (made by making an R-G-V combo, mixing a bit of the green into the V because the V is a little underexposed, and then converting to HSB and swapping in one of the much nicer clear images for the brightness channel). Anyone else want to have a go at making a pretty color combo? Anyone have any helpful comments on the color? The images in the montage are not processed at all except for removing salt-and-pepper noise and (in a few cases) doing some destriping to correct missing lines, so there'd be nothing wrong with grabbing individual images straight from the montage rather than hunting down original files. I've posted the montage in PNG format here.

Attached Image
Attached Image

The view in the attached color composite is primarily of the leading and southern hemispheres. Deimos has this weird squashed south pole -- I guess it's one big impact crater, but it's a crater with a diameter similar to that of Deimos itself.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Dec 23 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #2

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Of course, I can't help but playing with my paper Deimos model to get it to match the orientations seen in that montage laugh.gif

This, I think, is F507A01:

Attached Image

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Dec 23 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Member No.: 33

Why must you do this to me right now rolleyes.gifsmile.gif I am supposed to be addressing birth announcements...

By the way, Phil Stooke has a cool resource for this
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/geography/spacemap/deindx1a.htm
http://www.ssc.uwo.ca/geography/spacemap/dem9pics.jpg

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Dec 23 2009, 05:11 AM
Post #4

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (volcanopele @ Dec 22 2009, 08:55 PM) *
Of course, I can't help but playing with my paper Deimos model to get it to match the orientations seen in that montage laugh.gif

How do you think I figured out how to orient the image I showed? tongue.gif

Ted: As gungy as I think these data are, I figured it was too easy for you!

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Dec 23 2009, 06:42 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 197

If anyone can do it, Ted can wink.gif

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 23 2009, 09:07 PM
Post #6

Group: Members
Member No.: 184

This is great, Deimos is more irregular than I had realized.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 26 2009, 04:48 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 4489

This is great, Deimos is more irregular than I had realized.

you might be interested in my cmod 3d celestia model ( or a 3ds )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7A4RaaOzho

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Dec 26 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 184

John - Looks very nicely imposing to see Deimos up close like that. I wonder if there is a Viking ephemeris for Celestia that can be used to reproduce some of the image situations for comparison? I suppose getting Deimos' rotation correctly into an ephemeris could be tricky.

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 27 2009, 05:05 AM
Post #9

I wonder if there is a Viking ephemeris for Celestia

no , but there is a spice set for deimos and phobos .I was using "mar080.bsp" in isis to work with the images .
so the kernel can be used in celestia .I just have not done it yet .It is on the list of things to do

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 27 2009, 01:24 PM
Post #10

Guests

Phobos:
First imaged by Mariner 7

Deimos:
First imaged by Mariner 9

The 1971 Mariner 9 pictures were the basis for the first two-dimensional US Geological Survey maps of the Martian moons.
In 1975, a rubber mould for globes of Phobos was constructed by scientific modeller Ralph J. Turner at a scale of 1:60000
After the 1977 Viking orbiter 1 and the 1989 Phobos 2 spacecraft encounters, new mapping accuracies became available and Ralph Turner created another Phobos globe and a Deimos globe on scale 1:100000
Additional Phobos and Deimos globes at scale 1:50000 were made by Astrophysics departments of the Martin Luther University (Wittenberg - Germany) and the Max Planck Institute (Munchen - Germany)

What on earth would make you post a list of random facts only tangentially related to the thread?

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 28 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #11

Guests

Well, the post started with a wrong fact (Viking first to image a Moon of Mars) and the other info adds to the mars.gif topic
Or should/may I start a new topic on Martian Moon globes so I can share photos? huh.gif

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Dec 28 2009, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Dec 28 2009, 06:29 PM) *
Well, the post started with a wrong fact (Viking first to image a Moon of Mars)

That is not what the opening post says.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 28 2009, 07:32 PM
Post #13

Guests

Indeed, I've read that too fast... ( Mars-facing side of Deimos ) huh.gif
Here's some nice " shaded relief " by Phil Stooke: http://www.gis.unbc.ca/courses/geog205/lec...ends/deimos.jpg

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Dec 28 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #14

back to the orig post
. Anyone else want to have a go at making a pretty color combo? Anyone have any helpful comments on the color?

go with your gut . i know that is not scientific but even the nasa color of Deimos and Phobos are only close guesses
i used these as a guide for my maps
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/deimos.php
http://hirise.lpl.arizona.edu/phobos.php
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/target/Deimos
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/target/Phobos
and old sites
http://www.nineplanets.org/phobos.html
http://www.nineplanets.org/deimos.html
the two moons will have some red in them from dust from mars getting ejected by impacts

so if it is consistent with the above examples and looks nice ...

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Jan 1 2010, 10:56 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Dec 29 2009, 08:38 AM) *
even the nasa color of Deimos and Phobos are only close guesses

Your YouTube vid of Deimos rotating was v good ***** ! Liked your photo Emily and may take up the challenge (although back to work in a day or so).

IMO close guesses are about as near to 'ground truth' as we are likely to get. Even with a calibration target in situ to refer back to, there are so many intervening variables that perhaps even a Jim Bell or David Malin would scratch their heads just a little bit.

The reproduction of great paintings in the most expensive art books is a good case in point. When I see one of them (by itself) I think (assume!) that it is like the original! But, open a couple of books and put two different reproductions side by side and the naked eye can see the differences between them.

Electronic technology is even more variable. A couple of examples from many
- Even with improvements in the html environment converting a graphic produced in RGB or CMYK to hexadecimal (web 'safe' colours) is not seamless
- The angle that you look at a PC Monitor effects what you see... the same pic looked at just a few degrees away from level line of site appears to lose saturation and contrast.

The big q to me is what do you want to produce the image for. A scientific paper? A popular book like Postcards From Mars? A web pic on UMSF? Space Art?

The challenge that I personally enjoy is that working on images like these requires a thoughtful balance between science and interpretation(experience + art) depending on what you are producing the image for and the strengths/weaknesses of the tools that you have at your disposal. On UMSF, to pick two good contributors among many, there is a range from a James Canvin (more scientific) to a Stu (more interpretive)... I get inspiration from both of these approaches depending on what I am looking for.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.