72 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting Unstuck in West Valley
Astrophil
post May 15 2009, 10:19 AM
Post #121

Group: Members
Member No.: 232

The Calypso pan... with reference to, I'm guessing, the Odyssey?

Odysseus (of Ithaca!) spends ten years on a Mediterranean island, 'sorrowing bitterly in the house of
the nymph Calypso, who is keeping him prisoner, and he cannot
reach his home for he has no ships nor sailors to take him over
the sea.' He gets out, but it takes a while.

http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext99/dyssy10.txt

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post May 15 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #122

Guests

I guess the last time Spirit got stuck ( Jammerbugt between sols 833 - 843 ) it sat deeper in the sand. However, let's not forget it took almost 5 weeks to get Oppy out of Purgatory Dune ( sols 446 - 484 ) huh.gif

+Quote Post
Astro0
post May 15 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #123

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Opportunity was the one that got stuck in Jammerbugt.
Actually, not even stuck. By that time they had a technique to get out from the experience learned at Purgatory.
Past events demonstrate that the Rover drivers know what their vehicles are capable of. wink.gif

+Quote Post
ustrax
post May 15 2009, 03:37 PM
Post #124

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (Astrophil @ May 15 2009, 11:19 AM) *
Odysseus (of Ithaca!)

Did I hear someone calling? laugh.gif
So...what's the deal? Where do you guys want me to focus my kinetic powers?... cool.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post May 15 2009, 03:54 PM
Post #125

Member No.: 3299

QUOTE (Astro0 @ May 15 2009, 08:12 AM) *
Actually, not even stuck. By that time they had a technique to get out from the experience learned at Purgatory.
Past events demonstrate that the Rover drivers know what their vehicles are capable of. wink.gif

The Spirit case is even more complicated than her sister due to its inoperative right front. This causes twice obstacles: 1) No traction on both sides and 2) Yes drag in two ways but going forward causes less drag than going backward only if the RF is not able to lift a little from surface.

All at all, after long time of long dragging and if Spirit manages to reach on the other side of firmer soil, she will be back on the business.

+Quote Post
MerAB
post May 15 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #126

Member No.: 4758

Here a Panorma from Spirit on Sol 1904:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Beauford
post May 15 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #127

Member No.: 4349

This is probably overly simplistic, but how about turning the wheels VERY slowly for extend periods? It has worked for me after getting my 65 Ford Galaxy 500 stuck (without a shovel) in deep snow, and in sand.

+Quote Post
dot.dk
post May 15 2009, 09:03 PM
Post #128

Member No.: 107

They already do that smile.gif

--------------------
"I want to make as many people as possible feel like they are part of this adventure. We are going to give everybody a sense of what exploring the surface of another world is really like"
- Steven Squyres

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 15 2009, 09:40 PM
Post #129

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Good time for a related amplifying base question: Are the MERs wheels constrained to drive at a constant speed? I assume that the answer is yes.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 15 2009, 11:49 PM
Post #130

Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (nprev @ May 15 2009, 02:40 PM) *
Good time for a related amplifying base question: Are the MERs wheels constrained to drive at a constant speed? I assume that the answer is yes.

During each command yes, they ramp up quickly to the steady speed that is required for the motion and just prior to the end they ramp down. Just like any servo motor. But during an arc, say to the left, the left side wheels move slower than the right side, simulating a mechanical differential if you want.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 16 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #131

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Really? That's interesting. I was thinking that they were open-loop constant speed motors for sake of design simplicity, not servos.

So, Beauford's idea is possible, then? You can control wheel rotation speed with precision?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
alan
post May 16 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #132

Member No.: 110

Some wheel movement thisol?

Comparing the image with those from sol 1899 it appears the rear bogie has move up slightly.
sol 1899: http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/rear_hazcam...DNP1354L0M1.JPG
sol 1908: http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/rear_hazcam...DOP1314L0M1.JPG

Reversing the rear wheels in an attempt to put more weight on the middle wheels?

+Quote Post
Nomadd22
post May 16 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #133

Member No.: 4720

Does the consistency of the soil change any with temperature? Any chance things would be different in the winter now that we have nice sparkly solar panels?

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 16 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #134

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Simple test for the ISIL once there's a suitable buried testbed rover.... a pull test with a force meter to establish if the sort of force required to shift our stubborn girl is anywhere near the IDD's abilities.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 16 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #135

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

QUOTE (alan @ May 16 2009, 10:25 PM) *
Some wheel movement thisol?

Something was commanded (site/drive numbers have changed) but I can't see any movement.

+Quote Post

72 Pages V  « < 7 8 9 10 11 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.