Reply to this topicStart new topic
Getting Unstuck in West Valley
marsophile
post May 19 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (Ant103 @ May 19 2009, 03:52 AM) *
(sad to dont't have a flexible focus on MI)

If the MI could look through something approximating a pinhole on the rover, that might increase the depth of field.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post May 19 2009, 03:29 PM
Post #182

Member No.: 3299

Very good testing pictures on Oppy's belly. The Doug suggestion really worked!. Now, I look forward in knowing ones from Spirit. According to the pictures photo's quality, we will be able to know better about the progress of wheels advancement in the future attempts.

I appreciate much the participation of LandRover in providing the feedback to us. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 19 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (marsophile @ May 19 2009, 11:19 AM) *
If the MI could look through something approximating a pinhole on the rover, that might increase the depth of field.

Marsophile, please don't take this with anything but the good humor it was intended with: your comment reminds me of Guy in Galaxy Quest saying "I know! You can construct a weapon. Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?" -- I think both MERs are woefully short on usable pinholes. smile.gif

Paolo: in the MI images taken with Oppy, it looks like the MI was position a bit below the level of the WEB and pitched down several degrees? With any Spirit underbelly MIs, would the MI be positioned so the the center of the FOV would be to be even to just slightly below the WEB so as to capture the best possible profile of the terrain under Spirit? Actually, several pointing with varying pitches and MI elevation relative to the WEB might be the most useful in discerning the rough relative positions of the profile constituents. All of my comments are made with the assumption that the lighting under Spirit will be not be sufficient for anything other than silhouettes.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
marsophile
post May 19 2009, 04:33 PM
Post #184

Member No.: 4338

QUOTE (Pertinax @ May 19 2009, 07:58 AM) *
Marsophile, please don't take this with anything but the good humor it was intended with: your comment reminds me of Guy in Galaxy Quest saying "I know! You can construct a weapon. Look around, can you form some sort of rudimentary lathe?" -- I think both MERs are woefully short on usable pinholes. smile.gif

Anything that reduces the effective shutter size will sharpen the focus to some extent, for example, looking over the edge of a strut. Pinhole is just the extreme case.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 19 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #185

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1200

QUOTE (cbcnasa @ May 19 2009, 05:32 AM) *
Great images. What is the risk / concern of damage to the underside of Spirt?

The rover might be high centered on a small pile of rocks. In addition, there might be a rock in the LM wheel well.

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 19 2009, 04:49 PM
Post #186

QUOTE (Pertinax @ May 19 2009, 07:58 AM) *
Paolo: in the MI images taken with Oppy, it looks like the MI was position a bit below the level of the WEB and pitched down several degrees? With any Spirit underbelly MIs, would the MI be positioned so the the center of the FOV would be to be even to just slightly below the WEB so as to capture the best possible profile of the terrain under Spirit? Actually, several pointing with varying pitches and MI elevation relative to the WEB might be the most useful in discerning the rough relative positions of the profile constituents. All of my comments are made with the assumption that the lighting under Spirit will be not be sufficient for anything other than silhouettes.

-- Pertinax

I wanted to keep the IDD turret as high as possible while still being able to image below the WEB. In this configuration we would have the turret only a few cm above the surface. I would really try to avoid scraping the turret on the ground, they might revoke my driver's license ;-)

Paolo

--------------------
Disclaimer: all opinions, ideas and information included here are my own,and should not be intended to represent opinion or policy of my employer.

+Quote Post
Fred B
post May 19 2009, 04:54 PM
Post #187

Member No.: 370

I'm surprised nobody has posted a deconvolution of the MI images yet, so here goes. 24 iterations of Lucy-Richardson with a synthetic PSF in Maxim DL, followed by Photoshop unsharp masking at radius 2, 500%. The panel of three is the original, the L-R, and the L-R plus unsharp. The technique is noise limited, so this would work better with better exposed, fully calibrated images and if there were some number of identical frames to average. The ringing near sharp contrast transitions is an artifact that can be reduced, but it's non-trivial to do.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 19 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #188

Member No.: 181

QUOTE (RoverDriver @ May 19 2009, 12:49 PM) *
I would really try to avoid scraping the turret on the ground, they might revoke my driver's license ;-)

Paolo

Thank you -- and please don't loose your license! laugh.gif

-- Pertianx

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 19 2009, 05:13 PM
Post #189

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

That ground scraping issue was why I had a go with my cruddy low-fidelity emulation (in here http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...mp;#entry140354 ) of imaging the middle and rear wheels from the 'outside' rather than looking in. That under-belly shot is still going to be usefull and required though - to get that ground clearance data.

+Quote Post
MerAB
post May 19 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #190

Member No.: 4758

Here is a different (from this Sol) piece of the Calypso panorama:

Attached Image

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post May 19 2009, 06:22 PM
Post #191

Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Fred B @ May 19 2009, 09:54 AM) *
I'm surprised nobody has posted a deconvolution of the MI images yet, so here goes. 24 iterations of Lucy-Richardson with a synthetic PSF in Maxim DL, followed by Photoshop unsharp masking at radius 2, 500%.

That's darn impressive.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 19 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #192

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Yes, we should abandon the pancam and use MI for everything!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post May 19 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #193

Guests

Yes, with deconvolution and several images from slightly different locations, it should be possible to get pretty sharp images. Also, taking images of the Spirit underbelly area against the sun should give good contrasy images to work deconvolution on. Also love the idea of effectively getting a higher f-stop from shooting behind a strut, or something.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 20 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #194

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 19 2009, 10:22 AM) *
That's darn impressive.

I gotta second that! blink.gif Extremely impressive first post, Fred!

Paolo, do we have any idea if the possible pile of rocks underneath are resting on bedrock or on a sandpile? Might make a difference if the "dig down & spin" method is attempted.

The "pile" part of the rocks is good, though; would presumably make it easier for her to slip off of them.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
RoverDriver
post May 20 2009, 04:08 AM
Post #195

QUOTE (nprev @ May 19 2009, 04:23 PM) *
Paolo, do we have any idea if the possible pile of rocks underneath are resting on bedrock or on a sandpile?

Can't say for sure, but the position of the wheels seem to indicate that this is a sandy area laugh.gif From the 1870 NCAM it looks like these are loose rocks, not one piece.

Paolo

--------------------

+Quote Post

72 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:54 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.