IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Continuing into Glenelg, Leaving Rocknest behind, sols 102-166 (Nov 18 2012-Jan 23, 2013)
SFJCody
post Nov 21 2012, 02:27 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

I'm kind of looking forward to southern hemisphere winter now (solstice on Feb 15 2014). The walls of Gale were already fairly clear after landing, but just think how much more spectacular they'll look once some of this dust settles out!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zelenyikot
post Nov 21 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6725

It is interesting to me as degree of a dust content will affect RAD indications.

--------------------
My blog on Patreon

+Quote Post
ChrisC
post Nov 21 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 4251

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Nov 20 2012, 10:11 PM) *
ADMIN NOTE: TO ALL... Following the interview by MSL PI John Grotzinger today, there has been much speculation about the nature of any future announcement. We would remind everyone on UMSF about Rule 1.3. We appreciate that this is a very strict rule but we do expect everyone to follow it. We may review and amend the rule at some future point, but for now it stands as is. Many thanks for your understanding.

Rule 1.3 for people like me who had no idea: Astrobiology may not be discussed here, even in the context of a mission with those stated goals. This includes other banned topics such as SETI, "Red Rain," alien visitors, exobiology, biosignatures, microorganisms, organics, fossils et cetera.

+Quote Post
stevelu
post Nov 21 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 790

background on the strictness of the rule here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ic=7514&hl=

some discussion here
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...=7187&st=15

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 21 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 152

Remember too that one of the main points of the npr story was that there is no announcement yet, and there may never be if the result turns out to be a glitch or whatever.

But even if it holds up, "This data is gonna be one for the history books" could mean all sorts of things. A geologist might find something very important and exciting, which the public might be utterly bored by.

+Quote Post
serpens
post Nov 21 2012, 06:35 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 4605

Too true. Remember the hype over presidential briefing which then devolved to perchlorates? Could be anything from superoxides to carbonates. This partial leak approach is in reality a pretty poor show. Unless this is a really amazing discovery then much better to have said nothing since expectations have now been raised and disatisfaction exists where outcomes do not meet expectations.

+Quote Post
Cargo Cult
post Nov 21 2012, 10:48 AM
Post #22

Member No.: 4152

Is this the right place for an interactive panorama of Curiosity's latest position? Requires a WebGL-enabled browser.

(I noticed there were enough images from NAVCAM to make a rough, 360-degree view around the rover. Images are from the right-hand NAVCAM, sols 102 through 104. There's a blurry patch where I filled up a hole in the full-resolution image with pixels from a thumbnail. The ground nearest the rover on its right-hand side (left-hand side looking back) was upsampled from 512-square downsampled images. I monkeyed round with exposure a fair amount, especially to get the distant hills vaguely visible. The whole image has been shifted down manually in Photoshop, to combat Hugin's decision to put the horizon too high. I need to find a better way of fixing that. Anyway, as a first attempt with building an interactive panorama from NAVCAM images, it worked quite well!)

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Nov 21 2012, 11:28 AM
Post #23

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

This is the thread, yes. Great job!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Nov 21 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #24

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Loving the latest images to come back from Curiosity, some really fascinating-looking rocks...

Attached Image

Gorgeous layering in that one.

More on my blog, if anyone wants a look, just posting link here because they're waaaaay too big to post...

http://galegazette.wordpress.com/2012/11/21/and-relax

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ant103
post Nov 21 2012, 12:39 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 678

Nearly full 360° anaglyph pan of Sols 102 & 103 (12.5 Mo) :

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonJones
post Nov 21 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 390

As for the big announcement on Curiosity results, space.com is reporting:

"Grotzinger confirmed to SPACE.com that the news will come out at the fall meeting of the American Geophysical Union, which takes place Dec. 3-7 in San Francisco."

ADMIN NOTE: ALL, until that official announcement, this is the last comment we will permit on this subject.

+Quote Post
newdaddy06
post Nov 21 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 6333

Looking at the interactive pan ("NAVCAN Glenelg") posted above, does anybody know what that bulge on the horizon (looks like maybe a Toyota Prius) is, in line with the right edge of the RTG (off the tail end of the rover)? It surely looks different than the landscape surrounding it. Maybe it's part of the entry vehicle or sky crane?

(Wish I could figure out how to include a screenshot of exactly what I am looking at, without having to put it on an external website somewhere.)
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Nov 21 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #28

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

If it's on the horizon, it is much bigger than any of those things. Also, on your screen cap, it's right at the boundary between two images, so it's hard to tell what it is. Try going to one of the raw image websites and find the original images. See if you can find it in both eyes of the rover. Get some 3D glasses and look at Ant103's pan. Figure out what direction the rover is facing using the shadows on the ground and the time of day (Joe Knapp's raw images page has local solar time on it). Compare it to Phil Stooke's route map and see if you can find a bump that seems like it's in a reasonable location. My prediction: it's an outcrop of rock.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 21 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #29

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

It's the big lump very prominent in HiRISE images, as shown in the route map:

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=28965

(upper left corner of that map).

It has been seen very prominently in every panorama since landing, from west, south and east as we passed it.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
fredk
post Nov 21 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 152

Yeah, that's what we referred to as "Rocky point" way back when.

+Quote Post

61 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:03 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.