Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jvandriel
post Aug 22 2005, 11:57 AM
Post #32

Group: Members
Member No.: 353

Edstrick,

I think you can not reach the end of that overlook ( Bryce Point ).

When you look at the 3D panorama from MichaelT, you can see that there are

at least 2 gullys in it.

I can not see how deep they are.

jvandriel

+Quote Post
Nix
post Aug 22 2005, 11:59 AM
Post #33

Chief Assistant

Group: Admin
Member No.: 136

ohmy.gif I was waiting for yours Tman! Awesome.. if you care to do the other eye like this you have a one-million-dollar anaglyph! tongue.gif Please?

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
edstrick
post Aug 22 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 174

I'm unable to do 3-D stereo pairs at all.... Left eye is 20/200 due to amblyopia... I think there may be a route........ we can see better when we wander off to the east after finishing this outlook.

And, Oh... think of the 3-D view of the hills to the north with a stereo-baseline between the two summits!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 22 2005, 12:05 PM
Post #35

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Nicely done on the matching there Tman - a beauty

Doug

+Quote Post
general
post Aug 22 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 417

QUOTE (edstrick @ Aug 22 2005, 12:22 PM)
Stealing JVandriel's panorama's central half... Here's a proposed route  <not including a possible jog to the south shoulder of the hill for a first overlook into the South Hollow>  of a traverse to the second summit for an overlook into the Northeast Hollow.  The geology there is distinctive and interesting in MOC image data and would well be worth a trip to check out if the South Hollow and Home Plate weren't even better.

So we'd better get a good look that direction.. may be very useful, even possibly essential in understanding the geologic structure and origin of the hills.

I'm a bit lost here...
Since Spirit is looking towards the east in that picture (Thira crater at the horizon), 'summit 2' should be behind Spirit.
I'm convinced she's sitting on the crest somewhere between 'summit 1' and 'summit 2', and that it is 'summit 1' we're seeing. unsure.gif
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 22 2005, 12:30 PM
Post #37

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

This might be the pan ever!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Aug 22 2005, 01:03 PM
Post #38

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Maybe not 100% accurate but...what is the teamwork for?...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/references.jpg

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Aug 22 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 181

Is my understanding correct in thinking that Husband Hill is thought to be the highest in these hills? It came as a little suprise to me to see McCool and Ramon hills still 'looming' taller in sol581's NavCam shots. (http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/navcam/2005-08-21/2N177951296EFFADNDP0645R0M1.JPG)

I agree that we still have some small vertical distance still to climb to be at least very near the maximum vertical extent of Husband Hill (http://207.7.139.5/mars/spirit/rear_hazcam/2005-08-21/2R177950900EFFADNDP1312L0M1.JPG), but not enough it seems to be able to peak over either McCool or Ramon hills.

This is not a diminishment of Spirit's (nor her controlers') fantastic effort -- Onwards and Upwards!

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Burmese
post Aug 22 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 365

Looking at that overhead of Thira and the Columbia Hills it seems that Spirit really plopped down in Dust Devil Alley. Other parts of Gusev seem devoid of DD tracks. Perhaps that area is the 'sweet spot' where the wind passing over and through the crater has just the right amount of turbulence to promote DD development. Had Spirit landed elsewhere in Gusev, she might still be searching for shows of DD's.

+Quote Post
paxdan
post Aug 22 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 221

QUOTE (edstrick @ Aug 22 2005, 01:02 PM)
I'm unable to do 3-D stereo pairs at all.... Left eye is 20/200 due to amblyopia...

edstrick - there is a 3D technique i have seen which is very rarely employed which i would guess is called something like 'waggle 3D'. essentially you make an animated gif that flicks between the two images, left cam right cam, and at a certain frequency your brain perceived the depth. It should give the perception of depth even when looking with only one eye because the perception of depth comes not from have two different static images the require you to look with both eyes simultaneously but from your brain interpreting the relative differences in the offset as motion/depth. i.e., the images look like little 3D models being rotated.

In fact i've seen waggle 3D images on somebodies mars blog....

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Aug 22 2005, 03:08 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 279

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 22 2005, 01:26 PM)
Is my understanding correct in thinking that Husband Hill is thought to be the highest in these hills?  It came as a little suprise to me to see McCool and Ramon hills still 'looming' taller in sol581's NavCam shots. 

Hi Pertinax...I've seen the same effect on Earth.

I was up Scafell Pike years ago - this is England's highest hill at 977 metres. A kilometre away, the nearby summit of Sca Fell (964 m) clearly looked higher than I was because it jutted above the horizon.

Remember that on a summit, the horizon of a curved planet is below the true horizontal. It's 1 degree from Scafell Pike, 0.44 degrees from a 100m tall Husband Hill on Mars.

I put it down to our brains playing tricks, since our (generally) ground-based experience is that anything which appears above a horizon must be higher than our own vantage point.

Andy G

+Quote Post
Deimos
post Aug 22 2005, 03:11 PM
Post #43

Martian Photographer

Member No.: 183

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Aug 22 2005, 01:26 PM)
Is my understanding correct in thinking that Husband Hill is thought to be the highest in these hills?  It came as a little suprise to me to see McCool and Ramon hills still 'looming' taller in sol581's NavCam shots. 

The problem is that Mars isn't flat--curvature is more of a factor than for Earth. Curvature pushes down the distant horizon. So, a nearby hill that is almost as tall as your vantage point appears just a little greater than 90 deg below zenith. A 70 km distant hill, even if much taller, can appear more than 90 deg below the horizon. I haven't done the math in this case, but I've seen the affect on Earth, and it'll be bigger on mars.

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Aug 22 2005, 03:13 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 105

QUOTE (MichaelT @ Aug 22 2005, 05:27 AM)
The quite sudden transition from the steep slope to the plateau would lead to the formation of a vortex right behind that edge, causing dust deposition right there. If you had a more rounded mountain top, the airflow would be more laminar and such ripples would not be present. On Earth you often find similar structures on snow-covered mountains.
Michael

The dunes surprised me. On the climb to the top, we've been seeing increasingly wind-scoured terrain and I wasn't expecting to see deep and widespread dunes. I have a concern about hazardous footing due to loose sand, here on the top of the hill but especially on the downwind south side of the hill. I hope we won't run into problems on this next leg of our adventure.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post Aug 22 2005, 03:19 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 181

Doh! smile.gif

Deimos and Andy, thank you both -- you are 100% correct. I feel a little silly not having thought of that.

My main personal reference point was my time working on New Hampshire's Mt. Washington, where all the surrounding summits were well below the horizon. But, there the adjecent peaks were both close (within several miles) and ~500 -~900 feet lower in elevation.

Thank you again.

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post

36 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.