IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Jim Bell Q'n'a, July 3, 2006, Your questions answered!
elakdawalla
post Jul 4 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Biggest Doug'n'Jim show ever...
Rover Audio Updates

Enjoy!

Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 4 2006, 05:43 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Special thanks to Emily, as for obvious reasons she's more than a little busy at the moment!

As you can tell from Jim's last few words, he's enjoying doing these - and I'm having a blast - add them up and we've had 2hrs 41mins of Pancam-o-rama.

Kudos to Jim for working on the Monday that most people take off for a 4 day Indep. W'end smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jul 4 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 385

Does anyone interested to transcript the Doug's interview?

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Jul 4 2006, 09:38 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

I have to take exception to one thing that Jim said, about the Pancam field of view. It isn't necessarily as simple as taking the IFOV and multiplying it by the number of pixels, because most optical systems with fields of view more than a few degrees have optical distortions that cause the IFOV to vary slightly from the center to the edge of the field. I'm not sure if the Pancams have appreciable distortion, but the Navcams certainly do.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jul 5 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #5

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

Great 1/2 hour Doug! It is always a pleasure to ear you and Mr. Bell talking about what you like... smile.gif

When I sent you the question my interest was mainly on the undergradute students' role, I'm glad Jim Bell followed that path, and even more for seing that he can establish a bridge between the him and Squyres and the new kids in town...
A great future in Mars exploration is guaranteed back there at Cornell. smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 5 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 124

QUOTE (RNeuhaus @ Jul 4 2006, 12:01 PM) *
Does anyone interested to transcript the Doug's interview?
Rodolfo

I can take a little bit later on but I am really busy now getting ready to move in July... more on this later tongue.gif

Thanks Doug, these are really special - I download them and play on iTunes in my car during the commute.

Though judging from Jim's comments about the BBQ pic I fear we may have "defamed" his art! Glad he has a sense of humor about it...

PS - ustrax - did Doug pronounce your name right on the tape? Because I always imagined it differently in my head.....

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Jul 5 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 05:09 PM) *
PS - ustrax - did Doug pronounce your name right on the tape? Because I always imagined it differently in my head.....

The origin of 'ustrax' is in a celtic-latin word which means fire...Due to that I say it with a different pronounce, my own, nearer the latin one, it would sound something: 'u' as the 'o' in 'to', the 's' as the 'sh' in 'show', 'trax' was quite near only the 'a' should be a little bit more open as in 'potáto'.
To resume, it should sound like: oshtráx...Or something like that...Sorry if it sounds confusing... blink.gif
But it was great to ear it! smile.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 5 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Founder

QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Though judging from Jim's comments about the BBQ pic I fear we may have "defamed" his art! Glad he has a sense of humor about it...

You didn't hear us chatting about it before I hit the metaphorical record button smile.gif It was hillarious"

"MY BEAUTIFUL PANORAMA....!!!"

smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
David
post Jul 5 2006, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (ustrax @ Jul 5 2006, 04:32 PM) *
'trax' was quite near only the 'a' should be a little bit more open as in 'potáto'.

That must be a British pohtahtoh, rather than an American pertayter. ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jul 5 2006, 05:02 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 124

Well, I hope we cleaned up after the BBQ.... hate to have littered.

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Jul 5 2006, 08:11 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 197

Maybe next time you could ask him about the longer term plans for Spirit...surely they must be discussing what they want/can do if she makes it through the winter.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Nix
post Jul 5 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Chief Assistant

Member No.: 136

QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 5 2006, 06:55 PM) *
You didn't hear us chatting about it before I hit the metaphorical record button smile.gif It was hillarious"

"MY BEAUTIFUL PANORAMA....!!!"

smile.gif

Doug

laugh.gif

This was a very interesting Q 'n A ! I enjoyed it very much. smile.gif

Nico

--------------------
photographer, space imagery enthusiast, proud father and partner, and geek.

http://500px.com/sacred-photons &

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Jul 5 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 385

QUOTE (lyford @ Jul 5 2006, 11:09 AM) *
I can take a little bit later on but I am really busy now getting ready to move in July... more on this later tongue.gif

No problem, there is no hurry to read it! The flavor of reading won't miss at any time biggrin.gif

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Guest_Analyst_*
post Jul 6 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #14

Guests

Great as always. Just listened to it on my way to work. It's a pleasure these people take time to explain their work to us. I hope there will be a MER press conference in the near future. It's been a long time since the last one. I am also looking forward to read Jim Bell's blog at the Planetary Society. And yours Doug, too. smile.gif

Analyst

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jul 7 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #15

Founder

QUOTE (mcaplinger @ Jul 4 2006, 10:38 PM) *
I have to take exception to one thing that Jim said, about the Pancam field of view. It isn't necessarily as simple as taking the IFOV and multiplying it by the number of pixels, because most optical systems with fields of view more than a few degrees have optical distortions that cause the IFOV to vary slightly from the center to the edge of the field. I'm not sure if the Pancams have appreciable distortion, but the Navcams certainly do.

From JB

In case anyone wants to know them, the similar IFOV numbers for the Navcam is 0.82 mrad/pixel, and for the Hazcam is 2.1 mrad/pixel.
This is ultimately the origin of statements like "Pancam has 3 times the resolution of the Navcams", etc. For reference, the MI gives 0.42 mrad/pixel, MPF IMP had 0.99 mrad/pixel and the Sojourner rover had 3.1 mrad/pixel, and the Viking Lander cameras had two modes that gave 0.70 and 2.1 mrad/pixel. These numbers are referenced and derived for the MER engineering cameras in a paper Justin Maki et al. wrote in JGR, vol 108, No. E12, pages 12-1 to 12-24, 2003.

Determining the total size of the field of view for these other cameras is not as simple as it is for Pancam, however. That's because most wider-field camera systems have appreciable geometric distortion. So you can't just take Navcam's 0.82 mrad and multiply by 1024 and convert to degrees. That will get you close, but not spot on, and the calculation is even worse for the Hazcams, which have an enormous amount of distortion. The details of those cameras' fields of view can be found in Justin's paper--which I hope is posted online somewhere for folks to access, but I am not sure. The reason that the simple "multiply 0.273 by 1024" equation works for Pancam is simply because there is *no* geometric distortion in the optical system. We tried hard to measure it so we could characterize and correct for it, if needed, but as we wrote in our 2003 JGR paper we couldn't detect *any* distortion down to a residual of 0.01% or so across the field--even in the corners. The Cooke triplet lenses, designed by optics guru Greg Smith (see Chapter 31 of Greg's book at http://www.zemax.com/kb/articles/103/1/The...r-Camera-Lenses
, http://www.mwoa.org/Ch31.pdf , and
http://bookstore.spie.org/index.cfm?fuseac...roductid=660181
for details), are just absolutely spectacular--as you can tell.

wink.gif

Doug

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:12 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.